Barcelona to Madrid?

Iggysue

I'm cruising in August 2014, ending in Barcelona. The ship will give us a full day in Barcelona, then start debarking the following morning. I'll have the full disembarkation day to spend somewhere before flying home the next day. Question: Should I plan a 2nd day in Barcelona, or take the express train to Madrid, spend what time I can there, then fly home from there? I'd love to see Madrid, but I'm not sure there would be enough time to make it worthwhile. What would everybody advise?

Edited by Iggysue

I've been to both cities. For me, it would be an easy choice - second day in Barcelona. There is a huge amount to see and just being there is fun. Many of the things you want to see in Barcelona are concentrated in a small area not far from the cruise terminal. The other things are readily accessible. This is much less true of Madrid.

Barcelona is a great place to wander. Las Ramblas and the area immediately to the northeast (gothic quarter) are wonderful for pedestrians. Huge amount of history, color, shops, cafes, etc. Many touristy restaurants but some very good ones, too.

Madrid is less pedestrian friendly in my view.

Have fun.

I am a fan of both cities. I understand your thoughts as you are only planning for one night of hotel and might have a situation where you are connecting through Madrid for your return flight or something.

Central Madrid is actually quite compact. You have the area of the Art Triangle with the three major museums, then move up through Huertas to the Plaza Mayor area and then over to the Royal Palace/Opera area and you have seen all the highlights of Madrid seeing Plaza Espana, Callao, Gran Via and Sol with the time remaining.

You now have the option of AVE (renfe.com) high speed train along with many air connections. AVE is 2.45 city to city. The Art Triangle is just outside the Atocha station.

Madrid is also very easy for airport connections with local commuter train to Terminal 4 or metro to Terminal 2.

For planning options you have

http://www.esmadrid.com and http://www.spain.info

You will be happy with your choice no matter which you choose.

I am a fan of both cities... You now have the option of AVE (renfe.com) high speed train along with many air connections. AVE is 2.45 city to city. The Art Triangle is just outside the Atocha station.

I'm glad MADflyer provided travel time because that information is going to help your decision tremendously. Assuming you'll be off your cruise ship no later than 9:00 AM you might be on a train to Madrid within 45 minutes. That would mean a 12:30 -- 1:00 PM arrival in Madrid. You'd need around 45 minutes to get into your room at your Madrid hotel. By now, you're pushing 2:00 PM and you haven't even headed off to see your first site in Madrid.

Is that worth block of time enough to justify the trip? It would not be enough for me. Your mileage may vary.

Finally, I'm biased in favor of Barcelona. I adore Barcelona. While I admire Madrid, especially its art museums, I find the city more formal -- more impressive -- but less lovable.

I love Madrid.

I've taken the AVE several times. It is easy, comfortable, and clean. It is also on time- if it does not arrive within five minutes of its scheduled time your ticket price is refunded!

The AVE will arrive in Madrid at Atocha station. It is a gorgeous train station located in the center of Madrid. The Prado is literally right down the street. There is a station for the subway (called the metro) at Atocha. I find the subway easy and convenient. There are lots of buses and taxis located right outside the station.

If you get a hotel near the Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, or Plaza Santa Ana it will take you about 15 minutes to get there from Atocha, sometimes less, depending on the subway schedule or road traffic if you take a taxi. Any hotel in that area will also be very convenient for most of the attractions in old Madrid. Many will offer a good, sometimes free, shuttle to Madrid's Barajas Airport.

There is a lot to see in Madrid. The art museums are incredible. Picasso's Guernica is so powerful in person, there is a tangible emotion about it. The Palacio Real is gorgeous. The king doesn't live there but uses it for working (I wish I had an office like that...). The old town is fun, and there are a lot of great bars and restaurants.

Guess we should toss-in the fact that a lot of Spain closed during the afternoon hours (many of us call it the "Siesta" time). So traveling in the morning (when everything is open) and arriving at a place in the afternoon (when many things are closed) is not always a good plan...unless you are certain that what you plan to do and see in the afternoon is open.

When we do lengthy driving trips in Spain (and to some degree in Italy) we often plan on doing our driving after lunch (during the Siesta time) so that we do not waste too many of the most productive hours (9:30 -1 and 4-8) on the road. I would also add that the Siesta times do vary a bit between various parts of the country.

Also keep in mind that Madrid if a very large city and seeing it in a day is like saying you will see Los Angeles in day.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Guess we should toss-in the fact that a lot of Spain closed during the afternoon hours (many of us call it the "Siesta" time)... do not waste too many of the most productive hours (9:30 -1 and 4-8) on the road. I would also add that the Siesta times do vary a bit between various parts of the country.

My first trip to Madrid is one of those funny-now-that-enough-time-has- passed experiences. The combination of the late dinner hour and the "siesta" shutdown combined to make it a minor miracle if we saw one destination each day.

The first night, we went to dinner at 9:00 PM and were the only ones in the restaurant for the entire meal. I think we went to dinner at 9:30 PM the next night and only one couple came into the restaurant between 10:00 and 10:30. The third evening, we followed the Madrileno routine and began eating some time between 10:30 and 11:00 PM. Between the time for the meal itself and the fact that I don't like to go to sleep on a full stomach, we were staying up until 2:00 AM. We'd then sleep late and, with two people sharing one bathroom, we'd leave our hotel in the middle of the lunch hour/siesta time. That meant we'd often spin our wheels just strolling until the sites opened up again.

Decades have passed; the Madrileno life-style has become more international and more destinations now remain open throughout the day. Still, I'm with Hank in warning folks to do your research beforehand. Know which destinations have non-stop hours and which shut down mid-day. Plan accordingly.

Madrid doesn't close during siesta very much anymore. The major sites- museums, palace, etc, and most larger stores stay open. Some small boutique type stores do close but it seems more like an exception than the rule in the tourist areas of Madrid.

Seville and southern Spain on the other hand....

Madrid doesn't close during siesta very much anymore. The major sites- museums, palace, etc, and most larger stores stay open. Some small boutique type stores do close but it seems more like an exception than the rule in the tourist areas of Madrid.

Seville and southern Spain on the other hand....

Sort of miss those days in a way..... but do love the long opening hours otherwise. Noticed when I was in Barcelona a couple weeks ago that much is still closed on Sundays. This is not the case in most of Madrid either anymore.

I can understand the OPs curiosity to at least get a glimpse of a city. I needed to fly to the US in December and just decided to overnight first in Milan for 12 hours and then was in Vienna just 16 hours prior to my transatlantic flight. Was it the best route, no. Would I do it again, absolutely.

The king doesn't live there but uses it for working (I wish I had an office like that...)

o_O Other than hunting elephants (literally) and spending money, the King does not work that much. And if he does, he does not use the Palacio Real, he "works" instead in the Zarzuela Palace, where he lives, and where he has formal meetings.

The Palacio Real is nowadays more like a museum, than a functional place. The gardens are quite nice though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd vote for the Madrid stop. We spent a couple of nights there precruise. It is a clean, walkable, safe city . We did a Tapas bar tour one night, which was great for history, food, and drink. During the day we walked from our hotel to the Prada and the Palace. Even took in a soccer game and a bullfight in our short n stay. While I think 1 night is short, the city has very late hours, so you should be able to have a very nice day.

i've been to both cities yes barcelona has lots to see and do and if its your first time in barcelona i would opt to stay the second day there and really get to see it all, now as for madrid its also very nice and also lots to see i honestly found it more friendly and safer than barcelona... now if you could take and early flight from barcelona to madrid and if you have a late flight leaving from madrid back home then i would go visit madrid.... you would need to check you times like lots have said..but in true honesty if it is your first time in barcelona, there is lots to see there...enjoy