Dave’s Live from Ryndam Southern Caribbean Feb 16 – March 2, 2014

RetiredMustang

You didn't want the cappuccino bomb? :eek: Then couldja order one for me??? Please?

Ruth, I completely agree! That may be the best dessert we've ever had on a HAL ship, or almost anywhere. We've been disappointed that it hasn't been on the menu (at least for us) for a few years.

Thank you for taking us along on your cruise. I am really enjoying your daily adventures and photos. This question has no doubt been answered but I can't find the answer so will ask again. Looking at the bar menu that you just posted, I notice "Propers". These drinks include vodka, rum etc.

The prices average $5.95 or $6.95. We have the Explore 4 drink package for our upcoming cruise. Limited is $7.00 per drink. My husband likes Grey Goose vodka with tonic water. My question is, if you order the Grey Goose, do you have to then order a mix as well (tonic water) thereby resulting in two beverages per order rather than one? We are allowed 15 beverages per day but we drink a lot of coffees, soda and water throughout the day. I don't see anything that indicates mixers are included in the cost of a drink. Hope you can answer. Thanks

The prices average $5.95 or $6.95. We have the Explore 4 drink package for our upcoming cruise. Limited is $7.00 per drink. My husband likes Grey Goose vodka with tonic water. My question is, if you order the Grey Goose, do you have to then order a mix as well (tonic water) thereby resulting in two beverages per order rather than one? We are allowed 15 beverages per day but we drink a lot of coffees, soda and water throughout the day. I don't see anything that indicates mixers are included in the cost of a drink. Hope you can answer. Thanks

They always included the mixer in the past, as long as its was soda, Coke, tonic, etc.

We're boarding the Noordam on Friday. I'll be sure to post the answer for you by Friday afternoon.

They always included the mixer in the past, as long as its was soda, Coke, tonic, etc.

We're boarding the Noordam on Friday. I'll be sure to post the answer for you by Friday afternoon.

Thanks very much. Will be anxious to hear how it all works. I would find it hard to understand if they charge for mixers so hope that isn't the case. I wouldn't think the majority of people drink straight alcohol unless they are having a martini or liquor or cognac etc. I know some people drink on the rocks but many drink with a mixer such as tonic or colas. I am hoping HAL wouldn't use the Explore 4 perk to capitalize on those who drink alcohol with mixers.

I really shouldn't have posted my question on this post. Apologize for that.

... I would find it hard to understand if they charge for mixers so hope that isn't the case. I wouldn't think the majority of people drink straight alcohol unless they are having a martini or liquor or cognac etc. I know some people drink on the rocks but many drink with a mixer such as tonic or colas. I am hoping HAL wouldn't use the Explore 4 perk to capitalize on those who drink alcohol with mixers.

I asked the bartender in the Mix this afternoon. She said most mixers were free (as in gin and tonic, rum and Coke, etc.). She did say that orange juice was 50 cents extra (i.e., in a screwdriver). So, the answer is -- probably no charge, but better ask to be sure when you order.

Dave

Feb. 24, at sea (cont.)

We enjoyed a very relaxing day at sea. The morning we spent mostly watching the hundreds of flying fish, and the birds trying to catch them (sometimes with success).

After lunch, I did some taking pictures and then we relaxed on the balcony until time to change into formal gear.

We had a bet going as to the third formal night menu. I said we would probably have lobster thermidor on the menu, and DW said surf and turf. She won, but it only cost me a glass of wine.

Here are the dinner menus:

24Febdinnermenu1_zps2bde24bb.jpg

24Febdinnermenu2_zpsaa47f1da.jpg

For starter, I had the Nicoise salad instead of the shrimp cocktail (and probably messing with Carol’s stats :D):

saladenicoise_zps657ad4ba.jpg

For the entrée, it was surf and turf:

surfandturf_zps4a091d5e.jpg

More later,

Dave

Feb. 24, at sea (cont.)

Here is the dessert menu:

24Febdessertmenu_zpscc3fc1b4.jpg

We both had the featured pumpkin-chocolate cake, which we presume is a creation of Jacques Torres. It was wonderful. It was like a pumpkin spice-cake muffin, with dried cherries and bits of chocolate. There was a chocolate sauce over the top, as well as pumpkin coulis and a sort of peanut brittle on the plate. Delicious!

pumpkin-chocolatecake_zpsf969e81c.jpg

More later,

Dave

Feb. 25, Willemstad, Curacao (cont.)

We have an excursion booked that is to take us to the Curacao Museum, the distillery where they make the Curacao liqueur, and the Hato Caves. We had not seen the caves as an option on earlier visits to Willemstad, but they sounded interesting, so we signed up.

Here are the Willemstad info sheets from the Explorer:

Curacaoinfosheet1_zps4c3b847a.jpg

Curacaoinfosheet2_zpse3549f97.jpg

(It looks like there was glitch in the printing, because the descriptions on the first page seem to be missing the letters and numbers that refer to locations on the map.)

More later,

Dave

I asked the bartender in the Mix this afternoon. She said most mixers were free (as in gin and tonic, rum and Coke, etc.). She did say that orange juice was 50 cents extra (i.e., in a screwdriver). So, the answer is -- probably no charge, but better ask to be sure when you order.

Dave

Thanks very much. I appreciate you asking the question. Really enjoying your daily photos and reports. Enjoy.

For the entrée, it was surf and turf:

surfandturf_zps4a091d5e.jpg

More later,

Dave

Your post reminded me! I meant to report that the lobster HAL is serving now is indeed from the Northeast waters. Guess this is all part of their sustainable seafood program. Now that they're serving "the good stuff", I finally had it on our recent cruises. No turf...just the surf!

Edited by innlady1

Wonderful Dave

The Land and Sea item on the menu sure looks like a very small piece of beef and a tiny prawn.

Are we looking at the same picture? :confused: I'm seeing what looks to be about 4 oz. of beef, and a rather large curled up lobster tail.

There are many courses, but if that's not enough food, more can be ordered.

Are we looking at the same picture? :confused: I'm seeing what looks to be about 4 oz. of beef, and a rather large curled up lobster tail.

There are many courses, but if that's not enough food, more can be ordered.

I realize that scale may be a little hard to tell with a photo (aside from the fact that the plate size tells you it is not a two-pound steak, or a two-ounce one either). The dish actually was a steak of about 4-6 ounces, and two grilled prawns, about the size of the shrimp they serve in the shrimp cocktail -- large as shrimp go, but not huge. There was no lobster.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Our excursion left on time – about 30 of us walked from the pier to an awaiting bus and were driven through parts of Willemstad to the Curacao Musuem:

CuracaoMuseum_zps03abf897.jpg

Our guide said this used to be a military quarantine hospital, and it still had some of the old furniture and fixtures. The museum collection was small but pretty good, but I found the old furniture and kitchen of interest as well. The beautiful old mahogany furniture must be worth a fortune:

Museumkitchen_zps2f10c522.jpg

Mahoganydesk_zpsc453d63d.jpg

Mahoganydiningtable_zps1e3614f5.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

We then traveled north, just beyond the international airport to the Hato Cave attraction:

Hatocaveentrance_zps2c3704ab.jpg

The limestone caves are actually quite extensive – our guide said they go for several kilometers, but only a few hundred were open/easily passable. They had several interesting formations, and a colony of bats. To avoid blinding the bats and to preserve the caves from flashes, photography was allowed only in one section which had a natural opening where light came through. I took a couple of shots:

HatoCave1_zpsb734f5a7.jpg

HatoCave2_zps8c2f51b9.jpg

There were 49 steep steps from the complex to the cave entrance, and a few dozen more shallow steps inside, so consider if you can do the steps if you are thinking of taking this excursion. Inside the cave was humid and warm. There is a small bar/gift shop at the complex, so someone not up to the steps could wait for a companion who went into the caves.

More in the next post,

Dave