Dave’s Live from Ryndam Southern Caribbean Feb 16 – March 2, 2014

RetiredMustang

A suggestion here. Should Dave, when he has a chance, email halfacts with the cabin number and express permission to use the photos. I would think having all the permission in one place would be a good idea.

Roy

Roy, -- Great idea.

Jacqui -- I just sent an email to the pictures@halfacts email box to give permission, and the cabin number.

Dave

Tampa really is a great port to cruise from. :)

I could not agree more!! It is also a great port if you have to drop or pick up people. Nowhere near as crazy as Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Now if Lou and Dave could get a camera here, it would be even better!!

Feb. 17, Key West (cont.)

Here is the dessert menu:

17Febdessertmenu_zpsf3310ab3.jpg

The choice for us was obvious – Key lime pie:

17FebKeylimepie_zps95c60936.jpg

After dinner we took in the show at 8 – a comedian/juggler named Benji Hill, who we thought was very funny. The show was presented 3 times – 6:30, 8 and 10. The CD said that most of the shows would have that schedule. This adds an early show, which is probably convenient for those with late dining.

More later,

Dave

Roy, -- Great idea.

Jacqui -- I just sent an email to the pictures@halfacts email box to give permission, and the cabin number.

Dave

Thanks Dave. :D You make my life so easy:D I should have asked you to do that but didn't want to take up your valuable internet time.

enjoying your reports so much.

Edited by kazu

Tampa really is a great port to cruise from.

Tampa was by far the best port that I have been in and out of. Airport was a breeze. Plenty to do pre and post cruise. Arrived at the pier around noon time, handed over the luggage to a waiting porter, walked into the building to a waiting security check, then to a open table to fill out medical questioner, than was ushered right up to the counter, swiped my CC, took our pics and walked onto the ship and to our waiting stateroom. Not a line to be seen anywhere. Whole process could not of taken more than 15 minutes. Of course I did bypass the pre-board photo opt. ;)

I just came back in from shovelling waist deep snow that kept me from my commute into Toronto. To see your photos and ready your comments bring back lovely memories and I thank you for thawing my frozen bones.:)

Just got off on the 16th after a great 3-week sail on the Ryndam…hope you see tonight's show, "Heat"….all the shows were fantastic…

Also David Anthony in the Piano Bar, and Terry (guitarist)all around the ship.

Happy Harry in the Lido (as well as Allan) will make your morning…(Hi to them from Jan and Chris)

Delightful captain with good tidbits of info…

Have a great time…and enjoy the view of the Pitons in St. Lucia…we had a gorgeous day.

Tuesday, Feb. 18, at sea (cont.)

A relaxing day so far. We had an informal meet and greet from the roll call, and I enjoyed meeting fellow CC'ers on board.

Today we received our debarkation questionnaire. We were pleased to see that since we last sailed from Tampa in 2011, the port is now doing expedited debarkation, which we chose. Here are the details:

ExpeditedDebarkationNote_zps38b8535e.jpg

This afternoon is the navigator wine tasting, to which we received an invitation as 4-star Mariners. I picked up a flyer on embarkation day that listed the beverage events on one side, and the details of the signature beverage package on the other:

BeverageEvents_zps7fce2914.jpg

SignatureBeverage_zpscb742cb5.jpg

More later,

Dave

Loving your Ryndam "live report". We just came off the Noordam yesterday and I'm looking at more snow coming down out the window. So it's enjoyable to read your thread!

We loved the Ryndam when we cruised on her last winter.

Do they have the new Wine Package brochure on Ryndam? I brought one home but don't know how to scan it like you do.

Feb. 18, at sea (cont.)

We lost satellite connection for several hours, but it appears to be up at least for a while. So, the blog continues.

We attended the wine tasting, and then got lazy, sitting on the balcony and staring at the sea until it was time to dress for dinner. Tonight was the first formal night. We had drinks in the Mix and then went to early sitting.

Here are the photos of the menu:

18Febmenu1_zpsbc53de16.jpg

18Febmenu2_zps99712569.jpg

I had the shrimp cocktail, which a great many of my fellow diners were having, but while most of them had lobster tail or beef wellington, a few of us had quail:

Quail_zps71e6271d.jpg

Here is the dessert menu:

18Febdessertmenu_zps6883ef08.jpg

Both DW and I had the chocolate soufflé:

Chocolatesouffle_zps83f9707e.jpg

More later,

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Would you be so kind as to post a photo of the cheese menu from dinner, if you get a chance?

Thanks!

Can do. It's a bit fore-shortened, but should be readable. You made us think about this as an option -- there are lots of good choices on the list, and we may do that some night (when they don't have something chocolate and yummy :D).

Cheesemenu_zpsd1917924.jpg

More later,

Dave

Loving your Ryndam "live report". We just came off the Noordam yesterday and I'm looking at more snow coming down out the window. So it's enjoyable to read your thread!

We loved the Ryndam when we cruised on her last winter.

Do they have the new Wine Package brochure on Ryndam? I brought one home but don't know how to scan it like you do.

Sheila,

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Wine Package". I posted the flyer about the Signature Beverage package, the one with up to 15 drinks a day under $7 each, but I haven't seen one limited only to wine. I will look.

Dave

Wednesday, Feb. 19, at sea

It looks to be another great day at sea, with lots of activities … or chances to get lazy again. One of our favorite activities is to just sit and watch the ocean, sometimes seeing flying fish or sea birds. It is a bit windy; we are sailing into a headwind as we pass north of Hispanola en route to Peurto Rico.

Here are the photos of today’s program:

19Febprogram1_zps87b03d76.jpg

19Febprogram2_zpsc0769873.jpg

19Febprogram3_zps6cb40679.jpg19Febprogram4_zps57cc485e.jpg

More later,

Dave

Hi Dave! I just noticed we are neighbors -- we live in Loudoun Co. I know you were dreaming of the Ryndam when the Nor'Easterner came through last week!

If you run into Ken and Marianne from Denver, please tell them that Sheila and Mike said hello. They were our table mates last week, and they were lovely people. I miss them, and Dwepa, and Happy Harry! I wanna go back!

Can do. It's a bit fore-shortened, but should be readable. You made us think about this as an option -- there are lots of good choices on the list, and we may do that some night (when they don't have something chocolate and yummy :D).

More later,

Dave

Thanks Dave! Looks like a nice selection.

Attention "Everything About Cruising Is On The Decline" Crowd: This is a big improvement. It's a much nicer cheese selection than they offered in days of yore. Sure, there could be some more adventurous blues, but you can definitely make a nice cheese plate out of what's offered. :D