Cab fare in Juneau

Traveler808

Can anyone tell me what the approximate cab fare from the cruise dock in Juneau to Mendenhall Glacier Visitors Center is?

Is is easy to get a cab at the Visitors Center for the return trip or should I just have the cab wait?

I'll be in Juneau in mid-June 2013.

Can anyone tell me what the approximate cab fare from the cruise dock in Juneau to Mendenhall Glacier Visitors Center is?

Is is easy to get a cab at the Visitors Center for the return trip or should I just have the cab wait?

I'll be in Juneau in mid-June 2013.

I'm figuring you mean 2014?

As near as I can find out it'll be around $40. I'm not sure if that's one way or not.

I do know there is a shuttle that runs from the port out to Mendenhall that runs all day and costs around $16.

Look here:

http://mightygreattrips.com/tours/

I'm figuring you mean 2014?

As near as I can find out it'll be around $40. I'm not sure if that's one way or not.

I do know there is a shuttle that runs from the port out to Mendenhall that runs all day and costs around $16.

Look here:

http://mightygreattrips.com/tours/

Thanks, Schmoo here. Yes, I did mean mid-June 2014. I'm aware of the $16 round trip shuttles that are available at the booths but this time we have 4 adults and I'm trying to figure out if a cab would be the cheaper way to go.

I would put it in the same range with tip. You do need to have phone numbers, or an arranged return, as there are NO cab lines at Mendenhall. "Wait", are you just wanting a quick look?

Another suggestion is to get a rental car, simple drive along with the ability to than fill your day with many more touring options.

BudgetAueen, other than the glacier , where would you recommend we travel with rental car?

Depends on your interests. Several scenic areas, Glacier Gardens, St. Theresa's Shrine, Chapel on the Lake, Alaskan Brewery, Hatchery etc etc etc (Walmart :) )

Any place to stp with a good chance of seeing wildlife? Any gold mines?

Frankly, if you want good chances at seeing wildlife, take a tour. A day visit doesn't have the hours of time, necessary to "wait out" potential areas. Best advice if you want to include scenic areas, is to keep your eyes open, and have a good pair of wide angle binoculars.

Last Chance Mine, is very interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the $16 round trip or one way? Is there a reduced fee for children? I'm guessing we'll have to rent a car, but don't want to deal with renting 3 car seats as well. . . Maybe Mendenhall Glacier is something we'll have to see on our next cruise to Alaska.

Is the $16 round trip or one way? Is there a reduced fee for children? I'm guessing we'll have to rent a car, but don't want to deal with renting 3 car seats as well. . . Maybe Mendenhall Glacier is something we'll have to see on our next cruise to Alaska.

It is $16 round trip and I don't know about reduced rates for kids, but I don't think it's your best choice anyway. When we took it, we were crammed in like sardines. On the way out, I was lucky to get a seat, and my daughter (12 but tiny) sat on my lap. My husband and 2 teen sons stood. On the way back, we all had to stand. With 3 small children, you would have to hope to be lucky enough to get a couple of seats together and hold the kids on your laps. A car rental would work better, but I understand the car seat issue. Maybe an organized tour on a real bus with guaranteed seats would be easier and safer, though more expensive.

It is $16 round trip and I don't know about reduced rates for kids, but I don't think it's your best choice anyway. When we took it, we were crammed in like sardines. On the way out, I was lucky to get a seat, and my daughter (12 but tiny) sat on my lap. My husband and 2 teen sons stood. On the way back, we all had to stand. With 3 small children, you would have to hope to be lucky enough to get a couple of seats together and hold the kids on your laps. A car rental would work better, but I understand the car seat issue. Maybe an organized tour on a real bus with guaranteed seats would be easier and safer, though more expensive.

Thank you! Great insight!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy