Barcelona RED HOHO Bus to Sagrada Familia

SBNDers

I am trying to find the best way to get to Sagrada Familia using the Red HOHO bus. We are staying on the southern part of Las Ramblas. I've done some research, but still trying to figure out the best logistics. At some point we will travel on both routes, but I still need to plan time-wise accordingly, since tickets for Sagrada will be for a specific time.

I don't know if the Port Vell stop on the EAST (Green Route) would be a viable option, as that route stops directly at Sagrada. I estimate that stop would be around 1/2 mile from our hotel, but I don't know if there is an easy way to walk there or if it is all streets and no sidewalks. My initial findings put us on the WEST (Orange Route), getting on at Passeig de Colom, getting off at Avinguda Diagonal and walking the 3/4 of a mile to Sagrada. We are walkers, so that wouldn't be a problem.

I know we could take the WEST route, get off at Placa Cataluyna, transfer to the EAST route and get off at Sagrada. I would hate to be late for our tour because of having to wait for a bus.

Obviously, my head is spinning trying for the best and time economical way to get there. We want to get to Sagrada quickly as possible so the rest of our time in Barcelona will be leisurely at whatever pace happens.

Thanks for any input.

As said above, personally, I would take the Metro (Subway) from your hotel area to Sagrada Familia first. That will likely be the second fastest way there (you could also take a taxi -- the fastest way). Then I would continue my day using the HOHO system if that's the path you've chose to explore the city. You could first board the bus right at Sagrada Famlia and continue on as desired. If you're goal is utilize the HOHO routes to get you to Sagrada Familia fast, you probably have chosen the wrong vehicle. The Red Line doesn't even seem to post an approximate timeline on their website to make an estimate from. Their competitor HOHO company does provide a timeline if you might want to consider switching to them.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Thanks for both of your replies. After doing a little more research - we will use the Metro and then the HOHO bus afterward. Actually, our new plan for the day in Barcelona sounds a lot better (with your help getting us started on the right foot). Thanks again!

We have found the Barcelona metro system incredibly easy to use, and used it last May extensively. It was easy to go from our hotel (the Barcelona Universal) to Sagrada Familia in just minutes. At the Sagrada Familia we ran into some folks who had been on our Mediterranean cruise; they had used one of the HoHo buses to go to the Sagrada Familia, and due to the number of stops used up a large chunk of time in doing so.

We were in Barcelona last October and used the Red HOHO to get to Segrada Familia. We got on at the Placa Cataluna at 9am and got to the church around 10:15 am. We enjoyed the journey and the commentary. For speed take the metro.

However, I can answer your question about walking between the two red bus routes. It is a good way to see the city, but is not the fastest way to get there.

On the first day in Barcelona [arrived at 7:30 am] we rode the both HOHO routes to get a "Lay of the Land." However, we had made arrangements to meet the manager of our B & B to get our keys and we wanted to take a nap. We knew if we completed the entire second route we would be late. So, we exited the bus at the Segrada Familia stop and walked about 10 blocks to the La Pedrara stop to catch the other route back to the Columbus statue. [this shortened the trip by at least 30 minutes—including the walk] While we questioned the wisdom of our decision at the time [we were beyond exhausted] it gave us a good chance to walk through the Eixample area and see the city at the street level. We saw many small cafes and shops—and we got to see the modern area of Barcelona.

The metro is an awesome way around Barcelona. From the Columbus Statue area, walk the few blocks to Paral-lel station, rather then getting on at Dresannes (which is right on La Rambla), and you'll avoid changing trains (and fair walk anyway between platforms)

Buy a T10 ticket (10 rides) for a much cheaper rate than buying individual tickets.

Edited by scottbee

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with everyone and with your final decision if your really set on visiting the sagrada family palace then take the metro fastest quicker way to get there and do that then you have the whole day to spend at leisure usung the hop on/off bus...when we were in barcelna first time we only saw the la sagrada from the hop/on/off bus route and never went to visit it inside we will be in barcelona this year and will probably visit it this time....enjoy good wise choice i think