Greyhound to Splendor?

HectorAchilleus

It would be a long walk, across 3 avenues and up 8-10 blocks, so it depends on the people involved. Probably best to take cabs. It should not be more than $15 per cab but you would need a few (3?)

The ride itself should not be more than 10-15 minutes at most. So 11:00 would be fine.

Enjoy your trip!

With the Splendor and sailing on a week day, it is NOT going to be a $10 cab ride - it will be more. I've been in traffic jams where the fare was over $20, never $10.. This would be for 4 people. This is having the cab bring you to the terminal. It WILL be cheaper, if you have them drop you off across the street.

It is about a mile++ walk. Another option at $2.50pp would be to take the 42 bus to Circle line and walk the last few blocks. It would be necessary, to pack light and each only having one bag.

IF you are sailing on a weekend, traffic is usually lighter.

Allow at least 15 minutes for the drive with loading/unloading.

A big problem with Amtrak is they aren't always on time. I've been on trains from Albany that took more than double the time.

IF you are taking Greyhound from Philly, take their Express bus, has a good track record. :)

I have taken the train to Penn from both Philadelphia and Trenton. If taken from Philadelphia it is a Septa Regional to Trenton to NY Penn station. If you are seniors you might find out taking this route very reasonable. The rates are decent and NJ transit is very good with the times getting in to Penn. Its really not too hard and if you do the transfer in Trenton I ended up on the same platform where the next route started. The money saved using SEPTA to Trenton through NJ Transit for myself was respectable to other ways (Military Rate same as seniors). Its not bad and easy to do... I think I paid 7 Dollars for the whole ride a week ago...

Edited by innkeeper17

Did this several times from Philly to NY on Greyhound and MegaBus. Its easiest to grab a cab when you get off the bus, and cheaper. As stated, as cab is around $10, plus tip. Its not that far, but not within walking distance with luggage, even for an adventurous young person.

Sorry for the confusion everyone, but when I said a senior trip, I meant 12th grade students with three chaperons. Would it be too far for them to walk it?

My husband and I walked it with our 5 and 7 year old no problem! Especially on the return trip when trying to find a taxi was impossible!

I am taking ten seniors on a senior trip on the Carnival Splendor in May. We are taking a Greyhound bus and will arrive at 11:00 A.M. Is it close enough to walk to the cruise terminal? Have I given myself enough time?

Plenty of time. The walk is about 15 minutes without luggage. I have seen many people do it. I did it myself once. I would think it would be a bigger hassle trying to find cabs for everyone, and organize it, than just walking.

I too thought you meant Senior Citizens...with a bunch of healthy 17 year olds the walk should be doable; I'd recomment you let them know they will be walking about twenty minutes to get to the pier...and to wear shoes and carry luggage accordingly.

Are these kids experienced with NYC? If not, make sure they understand not to jay walk. It sounds silly, but on my first trip here we smart highschool kids visiting from the back woods decided that the best way to get where we were going was to cross the street on a diagonal (in our home town this would not have been a big deal). Our tourguide almost had a heart attack, and having lived here 22 years now I understand why.

Cabs will be easy to get and you can put about 4 people in each cab, but the fare is iffy. They change the traffic patterns when a ship is in so you can't go straight to the pier but have to go up about ten blocks on the highway past the ship in order to turn around and go back down town to the dropoff point. That can add up fast.

Have fun!

We are taking a NJ Transit bus in to the City on our cruise in June. Once we get to Port Authority, I plan on asking the cab driver to drop us off at 49th and 12th or 51st and 12th (which Pier is the Splendor?)

We can then walk across the street and drop off our luggage at the porter. Last time we cruised out of NYC we drove in and sat in about 1/2 hour worth of traffic on 12th Avenue waiting to pull in to the pier. It seems silly to sit in that traffic in a cab, when all you have to do is cross the street.

Which pier is the Splendor and which street should we be dropped off at, 49th or 51st?

I had a good chuckle at the "senior" thing, too. Thanks. Anyway, definitely walk to the ship. Let those kids enjoy "feeling" Manhattan and walking the 20 minutes to the ship. On any given day you'll see lots of people walking along pulling their luggage all over the city. Have the kids only take one small rolling suitcase each and a backpack or tote. It will be fun for them. My favorite thing to do in the city is to just walk and "feel" the vibe there. Love it!

If you are from Allentown,Quakertown,Doylestown,PA Transbridge is another bus route,the terminal in Bethlehem has a bus directly to the piers. You can go to the web site for price,or it is 42.00 each round trip to go to NYC. Greyhound is a great option with the express special,it's lower than regular trip. If you will walk,you may need to carry your luggage,the wheels of suitcases do break if you go over curbs,it is walkable.