Great Wall of China Tour

Over the Horizon

We're sailing on the Millennium in April there will be 8 of us and we have already booked our tour of the Great Wall, could anyone tell me what is best to wear for this tour as we're not sure of what to expect weather wise? Also staying in Hong Kong on first night any thoughts on tours? We all usually cruise with Thompsons as they fit our budget but this is a special cruise for us all this year we're celebrating a 40th & 25th wedding anniversary and 2 x 60th birthdays. My husband and myself have sailed on Celebrity Equinox to celebrate our 40th anniversary and his 60th birthday and love the Celebrity ships.

We're sailing on the Millennium in April there will be 8 of us and we have already booked our tour of the Great Wall, could anyone tell me what is best to wear for this tour as we're not sure of what to expect weather wise? Also staying in Hong Kong on first night any thoughts on tours? We all usually cruise with Thompsons as they fit our budget but this is a special cruise for us all this year we're celebrating a 40th & 25th wedding anniversary and 2 x 60th birthdays. My husband and myself have sailed on Celebrity Equinox to celebrate our 40th anniversary and his 60th birthday and love the Celebrity ships.

We did our China trip with Vantage in September. Great time to go to China. The temps were still warm and we wore shorts.

http://www.chinahighlights.com/weather/april.htm

As far as Hong Kong is concerned, suggest you take a city tour that includes Victoria's Peak, Repulse Bay, etc.

For your Great Wall tour I suggest you wear layers. We also visited in April on a Princess cruise and I wore a long sleeved t shirt and a fleece jacket. I was able to remove the fleece as the day got warmer. I would also recommend wearing trainers for comfort and safety . As you approach the wall there are literally masses of stalls selling souvenirs. You have to be prepared to haggle, and it's great fun. Congratulations on all the special occasions your group are celebrating, you are going to have an amazing trip I'm sure. The Great Wall is a real "pinch me" experience:)

Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

We did a day tour from Beijing a couple of years ago-you will have a fabulous time. Please be aware Tianjin is about 2 hours from Beijing and 3 hrs from Great Wall. Hong Kong is wonderful you can visit the Peak on vernicular? railway, ladies market, Stanley Market but you must haggle in the markets. We have friends that live there and find it very safe. You may want to look under Roll Calls for your particular cruise on Millenium.

As the previous post says layers are great for Asia climate

We sailed to China last September but kept in close contact with cruisers who did the reverse itinerary (China to Alaska) in late April. They wore shorts for most of their trip in and around Beijing. We did as well in September. I looked at their pictures as well, and they were beautiful. Their weather was a little better in the Spring after the rain. Have fun!

Come over to the roll call

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1633552&page=47

Kimberley

Edited by kimberley
Wrong cc page link