Celebrity Website Warning - Spa Appointments

scili

Actually, I contacted Celebrity because I was hoping to purchase a massage for my husband as a birthday gift, I thought I'd pay for it and present the certificate to him. To us, a spa visit on a ship is an occasional splurge, a nice thought for a gift which in our family is usually something a little extravagant rather than utilitarian. However, bookings won't be open in time, and payment won't be until the service is provided.

I've been in a similar situation where it was impossible to prepay for the gift I wanted to give. Just create a certificate or put a note in a card and then make the arrangements once you're onboard.

Hey Jenna - I don't go to a spa for my gel manicure, but I don't see a spa experience being worth an additional $61. It's not like I'm going to get a deep tissue shoulder massage or light facial as part of the manicure. I'm going to get exactly what I get at home, an hour of being spoiled with beautiful nails at the end.

I just saw the rest of your message about the Brown Palace as an example in Denver. I stayed at the Brown Palace once for work, and I wanted a Coke. The Brown Palace is far too nice a place to have vending machines, but I could get a Coke for $8 (room delivery) or $5 (mini fridge). I got dressed and walked across the street to the hotel with vending machines. The moral - yes, the Brown Palace charges a lot more for stuff. Doesn't mean I'm going to pay their price, though. I don't believe a Coke (or a manicure) at the Brown Palace is worth the extra money. Now, an actual massage at the Brown Palace? That, I might pay their price to enjoy.

Sam

Edited by Chirpbird
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Hey Jenna - I don't go to a spa for my gel manicure, but I don't see a spa experience being worth an additional $61. It's not like I'm going to get a deep tissue shoulder massage or light facial as part of the manicure. I'm going to get exactly what I get at home, an hour of being spoiled with beautiful nails at the end.

I just saw the rest of your message about the Brown Palace as an example in Denver. I stayed at the Brown Palace once for work, and I wanted a Coke. The Brown Palace is far too nice a place to have vending machines, but I could get a Coke for $8 (room delivery) or $5 (mini fridge). I got dressed and walked across the street to the hotel with vending machines. The moral - yes, the Brown Palace charges a lot more for stuff. Doesn't mean I'm going to pay their price, though. I don't believe a Coke (or a manicure) at the Brown Palace is worth the extra money. Now, an actual massage at the Brown Palace? That, I might pay their price to enjoy.

Sam

I hear you, for sure! I don't got to a spa for my nails either, execpt the very rare splurge or when I am away from home for more than 3 weeks and then I'll look for a well recomended nail place. Heck. I get frustrated sometimes with $80 (fill, toes, tip) every three weeks give or take.

We're a captive audiance at times (ships, hotels, resorts), and their ultimate goal is their bottom line. I think it's ALL expensvie yes, but don't think the price list I saw was "outrageous".

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Their prices are close to what the previous regime was charging. They will never be the same as a land spa because the folks performing the services cannot just go home at night, THEY ARE ON A CRUISE SHIP!

As for the observation that Celebrity could have handled the web site cross-over better, I agree 100%. As a programmer, it is NOT that difficult to just cut off the booking engine and pop up an explanation.

I'm cheesed off as I booked and paid ages ago. But appointments cancelled without any explanation. BUT I did rebook over the phone, same treatment and same price, which does seem a bit odd. The UK operator said nothing about change of provider, so they obviously have not been informed. The operator was very helpful. But now I'm starting to wonder if this appointment will be cancelled too, in view of what has been written. If that's the case then I will give up.

I'm cheesed off as I booked and paid ages ago. But appointments cancelled without any explanation. BUT I did rebook over the phone, same treatment and same price, which does seem a bit odd. The UK operator said nothing about change of provider, so they obviously have not been informed. The operator was very helpful. But now I'm starting to wonder if this appointment will be cancelled too, in view of what has been written. If that's the case then I will give up.

Again, just book on board. The spa is NEVER near fully booked in my experience and you can pick the day and time of your choice once on board. And there often is various discounts offered during the cruise. No benefit of booking in advance - you are giving Celebrity an interest free loan. Just don't worry about it and take care of it once on the ship.

I just want to say again that my info from Canyon Ranch states that payment will be AFTER the appointment, not in advance, so this is not a case of giving Celebrity an interest free loan. Some cruisers may want to lock in the day and time of their choice in advance --- I know that appointments will likely be readily available, but not necessarily at the most popular times. I understand that some feel the spa is a waste of money, but others find it a highlight of their cruise, so please, let's be a little less condescending to those who choose to spend their money this way. It's certainly not forced on anyone.

I agree the spa is never fully booked, but if you have few sea days (my upcoming cruise has only one) then it is sometimes hard to get certain longer treatments (like massages) in the times you want on sea days if you wait. If timing is not so critical, then I definitely agree to wait.

I think the prices are high, but they are actually lower than the price for the Canyon Ranch Las Vegas spa, at least for the massages. Now, the land location obviously is more luxurious, larger, etc., but I was surprised to see the prices lower. Still a bit high for my tastes, but... Unlike some, I would never think of paying to have my nails done on a ship when I can get a nice manicure for way lower before I leave, but a massage, maybe. It is a very nice treat. I don't splurge on other stuff (light drinker, don't buy pics anymore, book our own excursions if any etc) so that is my treat. We will see how it goes. X is trying hard to woo the 1% so a higher end spa makes sense in that regard.

• 1 month later...

Use of Fitness Center is complimentary, but does not include use of locker rooms or SpaClub facilities.

Is this new or the usual for Celebrity?

Not letting passengers use locker rooms for showers or to change after using the gym.

Edited by Kiran