How Much Time Does It Really Take to go From the Port to St. John's?

excitedtocruise

Coming off the Pearl at approximately 8:30 - 9:00 a.m., will I have time to get to the ferry and go over to St. John's and snorkel/beach, come back on the ferry by approximately 4:00 - 4:30 p.m. and not feel totally rushed? And if I am going to make the hull over to St. John's what is an absolutely must do over there and where is the best off the beach snorkeling/beach? Thanks!!!

I think you would have time, and having been to both islands I would prefer a day on St. John 100 times over one on St. Thomas, just less crowded and so beautiful!

I am not sure how long the taxi from the port to Red Hook takes, but the ferry ride from Red Hook to St John is only about 15 minutes, I think I remember it being about $12 pp and I believe the ferry normally goes every hour.

Here is a great site I have found for info on St. John beaches and snorkeling...http://blog.sunplay.com/category/st-john-2/

My personal favorites are Cinnamon Bay and Trunk Bay, but the entire island is beautiful..my favorite one in the Caribbean of the many I have visited!

Not sure where you dock and the vinow dot com ship schedule doesn't go out past Sept. I'd at Havensight it's a 20 - 30 min ride once you leave the port, from Crown Bay a little longer. The ferry is 20 min, and the taxi from Cruz Bay to a beach another 15. So allow for about 1.5 hrs each way with the potential for a short ferry wait. The Red Hook ferry runs on the hour so very timely though. Allow another half hour for the return due to traffic returning everyone to port.

If your ship leaves port at 5PM you will want to take the 3PM ferry back to RH.

So if you leave the port at 9AM and head back to the ferry in Cruz Bay at 2:30PM you'll have 4 hrs on STJ. So you could enjoy Trunk or Cinnamon Bay then a lunch in Cruz Bay. Cruz is a great place to shop too but you won't have time for everything, unfortunately.

Trunk and Cinnamon are beautiful beaches, but note that Trunk Bay will likely be crowded if there are multiple ships in port as it - like Magens - is highly-touted by the cruise lines and other excursion operators. But STJ is definitely worth a visit, and getting there is part of the experience. And going on your own can get you more time there.

If that's too short a time on STJ there are also gorgeous beaches on the East End of STT. The busier areas jaasb refers to are around the cruise ship docks and town, many pplnever get to the East End to see these gorgeous beaches.. The East End around Red Hook is very nice and shaves about 1.5 hrs off your travel time. But you will enjoy your time on STJ if you go, it will be hard to leave the beach!

I'm finding this info useful as well as I was considering whether to make the trip to St. John for our upcoming cruise. With spending 3 plus hours in transit, that's time we're not relaxing on a beach. And sure, I get that the trip is part of the fun - but with kids along it might not be so fun. I'm also pricing it out - for four of us, with taxi to ferry, ferry, then taxi to beach on St. John - that's adding up. All things to consider. How lucky am I that these are the toughest things I have to worry about today? ( =

Yes the roundtrip taxi to the East End (Red Hook ferry or one of the beaches there) is $20pp. Going on to STJ adds another $26pp or so ($14pp for roundtrip ferry, $12pp for roundtrip beach taxi. So around $46pp.

Unfurtunately cruisers had Sapphire Beach to enjoy on the East End but currently the dive center rentals and public restrooms are closed so not a good choice with kids. Here's a link with brief beach descriptions, for STT at least.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1993432

And yes, we could have worse things to fret over! :D

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question. If there are a bunch of boats on the day we pull into St Thomas is it just better to book the trip to St. John through the cruise line or worse because they might wait until later to leave?

Thanks,

Debbie

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question. If there are a bunch of boats on the day we pull into St Thomas is it just better to book the trip to St. John through the cruise line or worse because they might wait until later to leave?

Thanks,

Debbie

We did end up booking the ship's tour to St. John. It is a transportation only option that leaves directly from the port area (no need to get to Red Hook - did that last year and there was very heavy traffic). Once we arrive on St. John it is DIY.

Very helpful thread. Thanks for all of the info.

After reading through several threads, I purchased the transportation only option through the ship. It seemed reasonably priced and an easy way to get to St. John.

As noted earlier in this thread the poster states the ferry ride from Red Hook to St. John is approximately 15 minutes. Does anyone know how long the ferry ride is from the cruise port (via ship excursion) is to St. John?

Thanks.

• Where do you pick up the ferry to St John?
  • Is it near the cruise pier?
  • Do you need a taxi ride to get to the ferry?
  • Vinow has my ship's pier listed as West Indian Co is that another name for Havensight Pier? :confused:

Taxi to Red Hook, $8 - 12pp and 20 - 30 minutes each way depending on port ($8 - 10 from WICO which is Havensight). Ferries leave on the hour like clockwork. Allow another 30 minutes for return due to traffic returning to port.

Quickest way to get to STJ is on your own via the RH ferry. Total fare from Havensight to Trunk or Cinnamon Bay is about $46pp roundtrip.

The ferry that leaves from downtown is not regular or reliable. If you go through the ship you have to endure a 45 min ride through much rougher water and the time and price is about the same as Red Hook.

Very helpful thread. Thanks for all of the info.

After reading through several threads, I purchased the transportation only option through the ship. It seemed reasonably priced and an easy way to get to St. John.

As noted earlier in this thread the poster states the ferry ride from Red Hook to St. John is approximately 15 minutes. Does anyone know how long the ferry ride is from the cruise port (via ship excursion) is to St. John?

Thanks.

About 45 min from the dock area to Cruz Bay, STJ. A nice option is the champagne cat cruise that sails the coast before dropping you at Cruz bay. Much more enjoyable if you like being on the water and then beading to the beach or shopping in Cruz Bay.

Have a great day!

I just did the Crown Bay to St John today, my wife has to do online college class with assignments due each day so I thought I'd look and contribute a little to cruise critic as it has helped me

We are on the Oasis of the Seas with docking time 10 am to 7 pm at St Thomas-Crown Bay arrival

arrived at 10 AM

we were near the front of line as we knew we wanted to make the 11am ferry

as you leave crown bay dock several people are trying to lead you to taxis so you end up in a truck like taxi with several benches. So you arrive quickly but they don't want to leave til they are full to the max, so that is an unpredictable time, we waited about 10+ minutes, then you leave with what you think is plenty of time only to find out he took on passengers that stop along the way. The taxi ride is an experience in and of itself but needless to say we arrived with a few minutes to spare to make the red hook ferry at 11 am, in total it took us 35-40 minutes to get from Crown Bay to RH.

I had signed up for cruise excursion to take the unpredictability out of the way but as I looked at the itinerary it didn't leave til 1115,so I cancelled. So about the time I was arriving to Cruz Bay the excursion was just leaving. Now in total they spend about the same amount of time at St John but you arrive later and leave later.

We went to Cinnamon Bay as Trunk Bay looked pretty crowded and we had been there on 2 previous cruises. CB was great, good to experience something different, rented kayaks which was a lot of fun.

We decided to leave at 315 to get to Cruz Bay for 4 pm departure, 3 hrs prior to cruise leaving, but it seemed like everyone else had left Cinnamon Bay before us and we were waiting for the taxi to leave but they were not anxious to go as we were the only ones wanting to go at that time. So at 335 I was getting a little nervous we weren't going to make the 4 pm ferry so I was about to go back and offer the taxi a little more money if they left now when a kind couple in a rental car asked if we wanted a ride to Cruz Bay and we gladly accepted.

We arrived with 5 minutes to spare, now I wasn't worried about missing the ship, I just didn't want to wait for an hour at Cruz Bay. It does reinforce why one would want to leave St John 3hrs before cruise departure.

All in all we had a great day, and I would do it the same way again, but I do understand why some people want to take the "safe way" by booking their excursion through the cruise line. I regard the whole experience as part of the fun of going to St John on your own.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience Brad. It is a longer taxi to the East End from Crown and it is a little frustrating waiting for a taxi to fill up when you take the trouble to get off the ship early. But a great day nonetheless. Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
We did end up booking the ship's tour to St. John. It is a transportation only option that leaves directly from the port area (no need to get to Red Hook - did that last year and there was very heavy traffic). Once we arrive on St. John it is DIY.

Are you referring to the Self-Guided St. John excursion?

Taxi to Red Hook, $8 - 12pp and 20 - 30 minutes each way depending on port ($8 - 10 from WICO which is Havensight). Ferries leave on the hour like clockwork. Allow another 30 minutes for return due to traffic returning to port.

Quickest way to get to STJ is on your own via the RH ferry. Total fare from Havensight to Trunk or Cinnamon Bay is about $46pp roundtrip.

The ferry that leaves from downtown is not regular or reliable. If you go through the ship you have to endure a 45 min ride through much rougher water and the time and price is about the same as Red Hook.

Wow!

Thanks

I would LOVE to visit St John, but the traveling time.....hmmm ... I'm not sure if it's worth it. :rolleyes:

Wow!

Thanks

I would LOVE to visit St John' date=' but the traveling time.....hmmm ... I'm not sure if it's worth it. :rolleyes:[/quote']

That is always the big question, and for those who love STJ it's an easy answer of course but it is definitely a bit of travel, especially with only 7 - 8 hours in port. We've only done it once while there on a cruise, much nicer when you're staying on STT and have more time of course but that doesn't help a day visitor...

Getting to the beaches of STJ and back does add another 1.5 - 2 hrs of travel as compared to the East End of STT. But STJ is beautiful and offers some more secluded beaches for the more independent traveler and it's obvious why so many go there. And for snorkelers some of the best snorkeling can be found among the cays off STJ, and daysails like New Horizons and Yacht Nightwind out of Sapphire marina are very popular with cruisers.

It would be nice if a champagne cat excursion could drop you in STJ so you could enjoy the cat sail and Cruz Bay and a beach, but it's just too far from town.

But the ferry from the ship dock is another option if you don't like the idea of the taxi to Red Hook. We would always choose the Red Hook option on our own but that's not for everyone I know.

So yes a tough decision for some and a no-brainer for others :)

Edited by blue_water
Typos

Are you referring to the Self-Guided St. John excursion?

Not sure what it is referred to by various cruise lines, but yes. Basically, only the transportation is arranged and provided by the ship. Once on St John, you are on your own.

I do want to point out that when you travel to and from the ferry via taxi to Red Hook, you are totally at the mercy of traffic conditions. We did a day sail from Red Hook last year and it took us forever on the return trip. Taking that into consideration, we prefer to travel directly from the port. The price is lower and we won't stress about making connections or sitting at a standstill in a taxi while we watch the time tick by. Plus it is about $10 cheaper per person - good for a couple of cocktails!

sippican yes you should allow an extra 30 minutes for the drive back from Red Hook just in case since everyone is returning to port at the same time. On heavy ship days with many people going to STJ the ferries and taxis can also be taxed.

Some just prefer the Red Hook option because it gives some level of independence when leaving the dock (no queues) and also actually enjoy the taxi/ferry travel. I know we enjoy the taxi to Red Hook when not driving and the ferry out of Red Hook is in more protected waters as well. But it's nice that everyone has a few options...:)