Transfers - London to Harwich

We are new to cruising but not to travel. We are booked on RC Brilliance of the Seas this summer to cruise the Baltic sea. We are planning to fly into either Heathrow or Gatwick and are looking at transfers to the ship. The ship is almost 2 hours from London. When I spoke to RC they said it is $101 per person, per direction - that's almost $1000 for our family of 4 to just get to/from the ship. Does anyone else know a better, less expensive way (is there a train?) to get to Harwick? Thanks so much!!

We are new to cruising but not to travel. We are booked on RC Brilliance of the Seas this summer to cruise the Baltic sea. We are planning to fly into either Heathrow or Gatwick and are looking at transfers to the ship. The ship is almost 2 hours from London. When I spoke to RC they said it is $101 per person, per direction - that's almost $1000 for our family of 4 to just get to/from the ship. Does anyone else know a better, less expensive way (is there a train?) to get to Harwick? Thanks so much!!

If you go over to the clear.gifBritish Isles/Western Europe Forums, you will find many threads regarding your question about getting from London to Harwich.

Yes, there is a train that will drop you off right at the cruise port.

Are you flying in the day of the cruise or are you coming in early?

Have you joined your roll call to find out what others are doing?

Ask this question on the Europe board.

Yes - there is a train from Liverpool Street Station that will leave you right at the cruise terminal. There is one express "cruise" train on cruise days and otherwise fairly frequent regular service that involves a transfer with stairs.

I sailed on the Brilliance from Harwich last August on a TA to Boston. A lot of folks booked the same hotel in London and one of the roll call members arranged for two buses and a luggage truck to take us to Harwich the morning of the cruise. The cost was $45/pp and was a great deal.

Other folks took the train and it was fine even with the stairs. Some folks arranged for a private transfer directly from the airport to Harwich and stayed overnight there because the hotels were much more reasonable.

There are lots of ways to do it, but I would definitely come in at least one day early to allow for any travel glitches.

Thank you both! I will check out those threads. Most likely we will come in that day but I'm not 100% sure. We live in Barcelona so it's only a 2 hour flight. But we are likely moving back to the US right from the cruise which means more luggage than usual and 2 small kids - so while the kids are used to helping out with luggage, a suitcase and a carry on might be a bit much in the train station. I'm going check out our roll call - that is a great idea about organizing a private transfer!

My recommendation would be to take private limo service to/from Harwich.

I'm travelling on a cruise out of Harwich in October & booked a 7 seat limo for 3 couples from our hotels to Harwich for 139 pounds.

I'm sure this would be more convenient, less expensive & less stressful than ship transport to Harwich.

Bill

Thank you both! I will check out those threads. Most likely we will come in that day but I'm not 100% sure. We live in Barcelona so it's only a 2 hour flight. But we are likely moving back to the US right from the cruise which means more luggage than usual and 2 small kids - so while the kids are used to helping out with luggage, a suitcase and a carry on might be a bit much in the train station. I'm going check out our roll call - that is a great idea about organizing a private transfer!

If you want to get a feel for the train station, check out Google Street View - it goes straight into Liverpool Street station, so you can virtually wander around to get a feel for the place.

If you want to use a private transfer from Heathrow to Harwich, we had great service this past October (doing exactly the same) from Harwich Taxis. Very easy to deal with by email to set things up, and their driver was waiting for us bright and early (and I mean early) when we arrived at Heathrow on our overnight flight from the U.S. There are other companies recommended on this board that are probably London-based, if that matters to you.

http://www.harwichtaxis.com/

In terms of the train, you'd have to go into London of course (to Liverpool Street Station), and if it's not the day of the cruise (which I hope it won't be), you'll have to change trains to get to Harwich. Most folks seem to say to change at Manningtree, but this apparently requires you to get your luggage up a flight of stairs to a different platform. One of the guys on our cruise changed elsewhere (I think Colchester), which did not involve any stairs. On the day the ship departs Harwich, there's a "cruise train" that does not require you to change trains.

If you are arriving in Harwich a day early, I highly recommend the quaint, waterside Pier Hotel (book early), and dinner about a block or so away at the Alma Inn, a local pub with great food (better than at The Pier).

Have a great trip!

ThePier1024x678_zpsdd81b9fc.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I have been looking around London tool kit. It does indeed have great info with links to many things including car services. Nothing I have looked into have come close to the price that seabill mentioned.

The train does look like it might be fairly simple

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have been looking around London tool kit. It does indeed have great info with links to many things including car services. Nothing I have looked into have come close to the price that seabill mentioned.

The train does look like it might be fairly simple

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are just beginning our search for transfer also. We are on the Aug 31 sailing from Harwich to Boston. We are currently discussing arrangements through this company website:

International Friends

Tours for overseas visitors to Britain

http://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/london-to-harwich.html

Check out reviews on trip advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186338-d1557392-Reviews-International_Friends-London_England.html

Edited by marsda

If you are coming from Barcelona you could look at flying to Stansted and getting a taxi/private hire form there. Its a lot closer to Harwich and also misses out the M25.

Otherwise gatwick is the better side of London for Essex, the train route from Liverpool St station is a very popular one for commuters so theres lots of trains. Like others have said if you don't get the cruise one you do change at manningtree but its a small station and not too difficult.

If you do come in early you could visit somewhere on route such as Colchester, that would cut your journey down and show you some less touristy places with a heck of a lot of history.

My recommendation would be to take private limo service to/from Harwich.

I'm travelling on a cruise out of Harwich in October & booked a 7 seat limo for 3 couples from our hotels to Harwich for 139 pounds.

I'm sure this would be more convenient, less expensive & less stressful than ship transport to Harwich.

Bill

Bill, what company did you use? Thank you so much.

Bill, what company did you use? Thank you so much.

I booked with BATransfer. They are very responsive & sent confirmation back very quickly. Use the boards for your cruise & share transit with others.

Bill