Zuiderdam Cabin 5187 on 2/14/14

dprice70

We just got home from a Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer cruise in an AFT cabin 5187. I wanted to let anyone scheduled to sail in this cabin know that there is an unresolved odor in the bathroom. The cabin steward was aware of this but when I went to the pursers desk, they stated they were not aware of the issue.

Multiple attempts were made to correct the smell. First it was the sewer line dried out, then there was water under the tub. An offer was made to move us to another cabin but as the ship was full there were only cabins with smaller balconies towards the front of the ship so we declined the offer. The smell did improve slightly but then built back up to the original level. A small OBC was given on the last day by letter from customer service in Seattle.

When we left the ship on the 24th the smell was still present. It was not enough to keep you from using the bathroom but was not very pleasant. The odor did not effect the rest of the cabin.

Debra

I will send the photos as soon as I get them off DH's camera. We took photos specifically for the website.

Thank you very much :D Send your comments along at the same time and we will include them on the website. I know many cc'ers will be grateful:D

Super - I just realized that we have this cabin in October. I know that's a long way out but not sure how I'll ever know if it gets fixed.

They should have it fixed by then but I would inquire closer to the cruise. The cabin itself is very nice, long enough that you can put the chair between the loveseat and the night stand. The balcony has 2 chairs, a small table, a wicker ottoman and 2 chaise loungers.

An air freshener would have helped but would have still been noticable.

We just got home from a Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer cruise in an AFT cabin 5187. I wanted to let anyone scheduled to sail in this cabin know that there is an unresolved odor in the bathroom. The cabin steward was aware of this but when I went to the pursers desk, they stated they were not aware of the issue.

Multiple attempts were made to correct the smell. First it was the sewer line dried out, then there was water under the tub. An offer was made to move us to another cabin but as the ship was full there were only cabins with smaller balconies towards the front of the ship so we declined the offer. The smell did improve slightly but then built back up to the original level. A small OBC was given on the last day by letter from customer service in Seattle.

When we left the ship on the 24th the smell was still present. It was not enough to keep you from using the bathroom but was not very pleasant. The odor did not effect the rest of the cabin.

Debra

I don't know if this would have been a workable solutions, but I have heard that if you cover the floor drain, sometimes that alleviates the odor. Certainly worth a try.

The cabin steward had covered the drain with duct tape. As there was much discussion about water under the bath tub causing the odor, I am not sure it would have helped. Good to know for future cruises though.

• 8 months later...
We have booked Zuiderdam cabin 5187 for our cruise in May 2015. This will be after the April refit so hopefully the odor problem will have been resolved!

Does anyone have an update on the odor issue?

We were a few cabins down - 5190 two weeks ago. No smell issues in our cabin nor none noted in the hallway.

Debra

We were on the Zuiderdam in May in PS7045 and noticed a bad odor in the Guest Bathroom. I'm not sure what they did, but it cleared up hours later.