Thanks so much

Shih-tzu

Just joined these boards a couple of days ago (although I had been poking around a bit).

Want to say thank-you to people who have already taken time to answer some of my questions. Appreciate it. :)

Have some good ideas now so will check out the cruise lines that seem to cater to my style and where I would like to travel and see what more I can find out. I know which cruise lines now would be wayyyy too "formal" for me, and which ones might be too "young" for me too.... something I wouldn't really be able to tell from the actual cruise line sites.

Love all the tips and tricks (and also learned that the "Gratuity/tipping/daily fee" is a very hot, hot topic that can make for some very interesting reading....:eek:)

I'll be back onto more specific boards/threads once I have some choices narrowed down.....

The Veendam gets a lot of trash talk, on these boards, but I sailed the Veendam to Bermuda in 2012 and had a great time. I think the best part was docking on Front Street in Hamilton, which puts you right in the center of the island. You simply cross the street for shops, restaurants and clubs. All the other, larger ships have to dock at the Dockyard, which is a long way away from everything: an hour bus ride or 20 minute ferry ride to Hamilton.

The Veendam is an older ship, but I thought it was kept in very good shape. The food was very good and the service was top notch. Because it's a smaller ship, they don't have all the latest things the bigger ships have, like rock climbing walls, ice rinks, and miniature golf, but I thought it had lots to do. They are only at sea 1 day each way, staying 4 days in Bermuda. Most of the other ships are at sea 2 days over and 1 back with 3 days in Bermuda. While in Bermuda, we were out exploring the island and the beaches, only returning to the ship for evening meals. We had an ocean view room, on the port side, which was large as far as cruise cabins go. I think it was close to 200 sq ft. It even had a bath tub, which I haven't seen on other cruise ships. I'd take the Veendam again to Bermuda.