Food quality on celebrity

lovetotraveltx

Hardly banquet food and you can not compare cooking for 3,000 people to a great restaurant cooking for 50. My wife is by far the best cook in the world so if great food is all I care about I would just stay home. There is a lot more to eating out than just food. If we ate out 7 nights at a great restaurants the cost would almost equal our 7 day cruise cost. Some of Celebrity's specialty restaurants are as good if not better than 90% of any restaurants on land, the cost is a little more but you get more. Come on what do you really expect for the price of a cruise.

The question I think was which line Celebrity or RCCL has better food. My pick is Celebrity.

I don't expect more. I am not complaining about the price. I think the prices are amazing for what you get. I love many thing about cruising, but food is not one of them. Surely you must agree that when you serve 3000 people, it is banquet food. I think you and I agree. If great food is what you are looking for, you do not find it on a cruise. I have not been on RCCL, but from what I hear, you are probably right. Celebrity is probably better banquet food. I was just trying to make the point that your level of satisfaction of the food will depend on your prior dining experiences.

Food taste is really relative. That being said, I much preferred the quality and diversity of the food served on Celebrity than RCL. I found that the food in the buffet areas on Celebrity are kept hotter, the area is cleaner and rotated frequently. Also on the solstice class ships, the buffet is split up into different areas so there really is never too much of a back or long lines. The ambience is great. OH, their specialty restaurants are fabulous.

Celebrity for us is definitely better than RCCL. One is they have wine stewards. Being foodies too the wine makes the meal complete and to have such experienced people makes a huge difference. Also you can ask for any dish pretty much. We love risotto but it was not a side on most menus but they were more than willing to make it for us. I find they do go above and beyond IMO.

Have fun :)

Edited by sunlovermtl

Oh so pretentious and patronizing.

I disagree. Perception of food quality is entirely dependant on what you're used to. And I'm one of the ones who enjoys cruise dining because frankly I don't get much chance to eat at great restaurants!

I also think that one of the reasons that people say that cruise food isn't what it used to be, is that our perceptions change with time. 20 years ago, you had far less dining experience than you do now, so it's much harder to impress you now than it was then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I disagree. Perception of food quality is entirely dependant on what you're used to. And I'm one of the ones who enjoys cruise dining because frankly I don't get much chance to eat at great restaurants!

I also think that one of the reasons that people say that cruise food isn't what it used to be, is that our perceptions change with time. 20 years ago, you had far less dining experience than you do now, so it's much harder to impress you now than it was then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have always said the same. Years ago Dunkin Donuts had the best coffee and donuts now they are run of the mill. Why, because others came along with something better.

The same with the cruise lines. Years ago the MDR was considered to be a great dining experience. Then the cruise lines started offering the specialty restuarants that offered something even better for a fee. Now the rumors started flying that the MDR went down in quality because they want you to spend money in the specialty restuarants. What it comes down to is that people have been exposed to something better to compare to and the standards have been set higher.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🍸🍻

We recently completed a 14 day cruise on Celebrity Eclipse and we thought the food was very good.... however our vegetarian friend was not impressed.

We have also cruised with RCI and enjoyed their food but the nod goes to Celebrity.

Hardly banquet food and you can not compare cooking for 3,000 people to a great restaurant cooking for 50. My wife is by far the best cook in the world so if great food is all I care about I would just stay home. There is a lot more to eating out than just food. If we ate out 7 nights at a great restaurants the cost would almost equal our 7 day cruise cost. Some of Celebrity's specialty restaurants are as good if not better than 90% of any restaurants on land, the cost is a little more but you get more. Come on what do you really expect for the price of a cruise.

The question I think was which line Celebrity or RCCL has better food. My pick is Celebrity.

I don't expect more. I am not complaining about the price. I think the prices are amazing for what you get. I love many thing about cruising, but food is not one of them. Surely you must agree that when you serve 3000 people, it is banquet food. I think you and I agree. If great food is what you are looking for, you do not find it on a cruise. I have not been on RCCL, but from what I hear, you are probably right. Celebrity is probably better banquet food. I was just trying to make the point that your level of satisfaction of the food will depend on your prior dining experiences.

Yes your point is made and I have to agree. Maybe the best Cruise Line" banquet food but still banquet food cooked and seasoned to try to please most of us. Would I cruise just for the food or rave about it - NO.

Yes your point is made and I have to agree. Maybe the best Cruise Line" banquet food but still banquet food cooked and seasoned to try to please most of us. Would I cruise just for the food or rave about it - NO.

Your point is also made. We cruise because we like to cruise - the entire experience. But we have also eaten at countless good restaurants around the world and find the food on Celebrity to be excellent.

However despite all my culinary adventures - I would never describe myself as a 'foodie" - another pretentious word, I kinda despise.

Years ago we sailed with a lady who told us she was a gourmet cook and had dined at many wonderful restaurants around the world and then proceeded to put ketchup on almost everything. Food is always subjective.