Food on Royal Carribean

Certainly, a cruise is not all about food...but we do have to eat someplace on the ship. :rolleyes:

If you're happy with the food in the MDR, that's great.

Yet, there's nothing wrong with paying extra to go to specialty restaurants if you enjoy the food at them more. :)

LuLu

~~~

I enjoy reading the food posts on CC and get a big laugh. I love that you are from OC and now live in Oxford. My oldest and dearest friend went to Ole Miss. That being said, we are big foodies but cruise on the mass market ships because our kids love the amenities including the Flowrider. We also travel with multi generational so it is good to have something for everyone. Trust me, once the kids are in college, DW and I are going strictly first class :)

BUT, I have to say we really enjoy the food on RCL. We usually review the nightly menus and plan around the nights that are less appealing. On a 7 night cruise we will do two specialty restaurants and the chef's table. That leaves four nights in the MDR. It makes for a great cruise vacation!

Go Rebels !!!! :-). You live in one of the GREAT food towns. We used to go to San Fran about 4x a year when in OC. Love the Cable Car ride to the Wharf.

We love the retirement in Oxford. Got season tickets to baseball and football and are now enjoying the SEC side of college sports. Can I just say, CRAZY CRAZY fanatical fans here in the south regarding their SEC football !!! :-).

One mass market line may have food that is better in general than another, but the business and operational models do not allow product that would satisfy a true foodie. I'm always surprised when people expect a higher level of cuisine in conditions that really aren't optimal. The larger the ship, the more people they have to feed in MDR and buffet settings. If you choose a mega ship for the vast amenities - and book based on competitive prices - the food in the mass settings will reflect that.

If the Alaska itinerary AND the food are of equal weight - a mass market cruise line won't deliver the experience you're asking for. You'll need to investigate other - more expensive options - to get the experience you seem to want. Otherwise, you'll be one of those people in the midst of 3,000 diners (including kids, restricted diets and bargain hunters who just want the sliders every night) whining that your foodie palate is mired in a wasteland of banquet quality food. When you're in the middle of one of the largest banquet halls - ever.

I love great food - I seek it out at quality local restaurants where the situation allows the chef to shine - and expect the food to reflect that situation. On a mass marker cruise line, I don't cruise for the food, I don't pay extra for 'upscale dining choices' (I save that money for the chefs at home) and we enjoy the personal greetings and service with a smile in the MDR, the beauty of the sea, the camaraderie of friends and exploring the ports along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One mass market line may have food that is better in general than another, but the business and operational models do not allow product that would satisfy a true foodie. I'm always surprised when people expect a higher level of cuisine in conditions that really aren't optimal. The larger the ship, the more people they have to feed in MDR and buffet settings. If you choose a mega ship for the vast amenities - and book based on competitive prices - the food in the mass settings will reflect that.

If the Alaska itinerary AND the food are of equal weight - a mass market cruise line won't deliver the experience you're asking for. You'll need to investigate other - more expensive options - to get the experience you seem to want. Otherwise, you'll be one of those people in the midst of 3,000 diners (including kids, restricted diets and bargain hunters who just want the sliders every night) whining that your foodie palate is mired in a wasteland of banquet quality food. When you're in the middle of one of the largest banquet halls - ever.

I love great food - I seek it out at quality local restaurants where the situation allows the chef to shine - and expect the food to reflect that situation. On a mass marker cruise line, I don't cruise for the food, I don't pay extra for 'upscale dining choices' (I save that money for the chefs at home) and we enjoy the personal greetings and service with a smile in the MDR, the beauty of the sea, the camaraderie of friends and exploring the ports along the way.

Well said abbede!

I'm glad we've sailed RCCL before and know that the food in the MDR is totally acceptable (dare I say even tasty?) since it is a mass market cruise line. If we had not .... based on the so called "foodies" slamming the food in the MDR and WJ as being almost inedible I would never sail RCCL.

We enjoy the dining room experience and always request a large table. We really enjoy meeting our tablemates and chatting over a leisurely meal. Over the years we've had some tablemates we might not choose a friends at home but we got along fine at dinner for a week.

Personally I think the word "foodie" has been way over used and rather comical of late. That said, I don't think in any way the MDR on RCCL would satisfy a "foodie" :rolleyes: It's mass produced basically banquet food, how would a "foodie" possibly be interested in something that isn't cooked to order for them from special ingredients......?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodie

I personally don't like most the food. Although I have to say the last cruise the lobster and prime rib were very good. The hamburgers at johnny rockets were literally the worst hamburger I have ever tasted. That said I don't take a cruise for the food but for meeting really nice people and for the service which is excellent.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Celebrity food is better than RCCL. HAL,Princess & Amazara are much better than RCCL. Last Sept. in the MDR onboard the Summit of Celebrity I had a fillet mignon that was better than the same cut in the specialty restaurant on the Solstice & Royal Princess. The Royal Princess buffet food was wonderful.Having been on 98 cruises I have had all kinds of meals. The worst food was on Costa

Depending on where you are from, some cities have great restaurants and some cities are lacking in that respect, so your "foodie" standard could be significantly different from many others.

Personally specialty restaurants are not going to wow us, so we stick to the MDR, specialty restaurants are going to give you a better presentation, better service and perhaps a little better cut of the steak.