Hopefully "Live" Noordam 28 Feb - 10 Mar

Mtn2Sea

Pictures are wonderful. What camera and what site do you upload your pictures to in order to load them onto CC?

Catherine

I have a Nikon D50 that I purchased in 2006. I hope to have a new camera body before my next cruise. For the night pictures, I used my new Nikon 18-300 mm lense, which I've used for most of the outside photos. I've used either a Nikon 35 mm lense or Nikon 40 mm micro for the food shots and some of the ship photos. I use Photoshop to host the photos after I resize them in Photoshop Elements. I use Elements because I can resize while off line.

Edited by Mtn2Sea

Today is our second of three sea days during this cruise. This morning the sky was mostly blue, but now it’s totally overcast. The seas, however, are pretty calm – hope it stays that way. Here’s today’s program of activities.

TodaySaturday8_zps7594396c.jpg

Some random shots of the ship.

DSC_0893_zps72525726.jpg

DSC_0957_zpsb049fa10.jpg

DSC_0969_zps56be07a5.jpg

DSC_0946_zpsd6f783f0.jpg

DSC_0470_zps9de18e69.jpg

Until later.

After lunch our cabin steward advised us the toilets in our section of the ship were not working. Shortly after, I went to a computer class where I learned Deck 6 was also having issues (we're on Deck 8). When I returned after the class, everything was okay. Here's some more ship photos.

DSC_0056_zps17c0cd7b.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsf9f856c2.jpg

DSC_0006_zps37f012d3.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsb880da10.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsc15e9bdf.jpg

DSC_0001_zps42f7012d.jpg

Until later.

I have a Nikon D50 that I purchased in 2006. I hope to have a new camera body before my next cruise. For the night pictures, I used my new Nikon 18-300 mm lense, which I've used for most of the outside photos. I've used either a Nikon 35 mm lense or Nikon 40 mm micro for the food shots and some of the ship photos. I use Photoshop to host the photos after I resize them in Photoshop Elements. I use Elements because I can resize while off line.

I meant to say I host my photos in Photobucket.

Edited by Mtn2Sea

Thanks very much for your live review and photos - they really do make us feel like we are there. We join the ship after the TA for our first Mediterranean cruise. Your photos of the ship have me wishing we had more sea days to totally immerse ourselves in the ship itself.

How are you finding the internet speed/access? Thanks again.

Edited by Lara Cruising

Our cabin.

DSC_0419_zps82e05357.jpg

DSC_0421_zps0cda6648.jpg

Thanks for so many wonderful pics. The area I would love to see is the Cabana area they added (Retreat or Cabana Club... whichever they felt like naming it on this latest go around)

It's just such a shame that a ship that is only 8 years old can have a stateroom decor that is so horribly outdated looking. The Signature Class staterooms are beautiful... some new carpet and curtains would class the ship up immensely! Carnival's newest stateroom designs as well as those being put in by Royal Caribbean and NCL all look quite a bit nicer and note that none of those are Premium lines...

Untitled_Panorama1_zpsf004bdc4.jpg

Tonight’s menu.

MenuThursday_zpsa5d45d60.jpg

I see that you have solved the skewing problem with the photos. Is this something that is on Windows or Microsoft Office? If it is an app on a smartphone (which I do not own, or ever will), that is less than useless to me, but if it is something available on a netbook or laptop, I might be interested. BTW, great thread -- I might take the next Caribbean cruise off, since you do such a great job!

Dave

W&B coming here 4/1 then your place after weekend. I sent you a text. Reno at coast progressing.

The cafes in Paris are many. Often, the weather on the coast is fine.;) (This sounds like something a 1960s spy in New York would say.) What?

Dave

Tonight was our last formal dinner. Rather than wait 20-25 minutes for a table for two, we chose to sit with others. At our table were two couples from Canada and one couple from England. I decided I needed to get into diet mode, so I had a salad tonight.

MenuSaturday20140308_08435705_0001_zps168bcb03.jpg

DSC_0063_zpsfb5711b8.jpg

Here’s a couple of late night shows around the sea view pool.

DSC_0065_zps31aed9b6.jpg

DSC_0076_zps064ec77f.jpg

I see that you have solved the skewing problem with the photos. Is this something that is on Windows or Microsoft Office? If it is an app on a smartphone (which I do not own, or ever will), that is less than useless to me, but if it is something available on a netbook or laptop, I might be interested. BTW, great thread -- I might take the next Caribbean cruise off, since you do such a great job!

Dave

Hey Dave! I read your live review up until we boarded. I'll finish when I get a "real wifi" connection. I was was going to tell you I'll probably take the next cruise off since you do such fantastic reviews. These reviews are a lot of work! To answer your question about skewing, I have a portable scanner (Epson that cost me $100 on sale). The scanner will create a JPEG, so it's quite easy to copy menus. Since DW is eating gluten free, she is given the next night's menu so she can mark her selections. I ask for a second copy, which I then take back to the cabin to scan.

Thanks very much for your live review and photos - they really do make us feel like we are there. We join the ship after the TA for our first Mediterranean cruise. Your photos of the ship have me wishing we had more sea days to totally immerse ourselves in the ship itself.

How are you finding the internet speed/access? Thanks again.

You'll love your Med cruise! We took our first one in 2005 and then one for each of the three following years. In 2006 we were on the Noordam out of Rome. They were all great cruises. The internet speed varies somewhat. If you're not use to a satellite connection, you'll be very frustrated. A lot of what I do is done offline and I then paste into CC so I don't use too many precious minutes.

The cafes in Paris are many. Often, the weather on the coast is fine.;) (This sounds like something a 1960s spy in New York would say.) What?

Dave

Because I didn't recognize the user name, I was like you when I saw this post. After I saw your comment that it sounds like some kind of code, I understood. DW called her brother in Oregon about a possible trip east while we were in Fort Lauderdale. We now know he & his wife (W & B) are flying to Florida on April 1, staying with Allabboard67 for a few days, then traveling west for a couple hours to visit with us. We will then drive to western North Carolina where our summer home is located. Allaboard67 is having a contractor do some work on their coastal home, which hopefully will be done before W & B arrive.

You just have to know the code!

Thanks for so many wonderful pics. The area I would love to see is the Cabana area they added (Retreat or Cabana Club... whichever they felt like naming it on this latest go around)

It's just such a shame that a ship that is only 8 years old can have a stateroom decor that is so horribly outdated looking. The Signature Class staterooms are beautiful... some new carpet and curtains would class the ship up immensely! Carnival's newest stateroom designs as well as those being put in by Royal Caribbean and NCL all look quite a bit nicer and note that none of those are Premium lines...

I'll try to get some cabana photos today. We were pleasantly surprised when we were on the Ryndam in December to see some upgrades. Even though the Ryndam is several years older, both the stateroom & the bathroom make you feel like you're on a newer ship.

Hard to believe we’re on our last full day. This is our third sea day of the cruise and the weather is just about perfect. The temperature is just a little warm, but not hot. The day started partly cloudy, but the sky is almost totally blue now. While DW went to the spa, I went to the onboard cruise consultant and purchased a future cruise deposit. I then took some photos of the cabanas. That is a restricted area, so the photos are from the observation deck. Here’s this morning’s photos, but first today’s program of activities.

Untitled_Panorama1_zps7b5ce2f4.jpg

DSC_0080_zps9c38a696.jpg

DSC_0086_zps9d0bee17.jpg

The larger cabana.

DSC_0083_zps6dadec62.jpg

The smaller cabana

DSC_0087_zps75980823.jpg

Until later.

Praise the Lord you got it!!! Told W&B if things are in total disarray, they may have to get a room at hotel if we are using the only room available at our home. R is confident all will be well. W&B will stay through Sunday College baseball game and then go West to see you -- his idea. I hate renos in progress. Enjoy your trip and good response from Retired Mustang. As if reno isn't enough, lost a cousin (58) and dear elderly friend (87). Life goes on. Hope you and DW are having a wonderful time. We'd love to have gone on that cruise. Maybe next time. ALLABOARD67 is signing off and going back to filing and shredding as we clean out downstairs room to get rid of last of original carpet. YES!!!

We had a nice quiet lunch in the MDR. It surprises me how the MDR has only a few diners on sea days. I fell off my diet that I started last night. I had a shrimp & crab crostini, lamb sliders with fries and a mango tart. The dessert was no sugar added and was probably in the top 2 or 3 desserts I've had on this cruise.

DSC_0097_zps08b3800c.jpg

DSC_0098_zps37adce36.jpg

DSC_0103_zpsea4952fa.jpg

A few more ship photos.

Untitled_Panorama1_zps14362e79.jpg

DSC_1016_zps168d95a4.jpg

DSC_1006_zps92f88b46.jpg

Honestly, I am sad to see your cruise come to an end! I've enjoyed all of your posts and beautiful pictures. Dh and I will be on the Noordam for a Med cruise in June and this thread has gotten me SO excited. It's a lovely ship, one that we've not been on yet. Thank you so much for taking the time to bring us along. I know that these reviews are a lot of work and it's much appreciated. Have safe travels home!!

Our final dinner aboard the Noordam capped a beautiful day at sea. DW had the lamb shank and I had the shrimp provencal. My final dessert was the Baked Alaska. A great way to end the cruise. The menu has a different look for what HAL calls the Master Chef's International Dinner. Here's the menu.

Sunday2Menu_zps22dbc5f5.jpg

DSC_0086_zps3eafa4da.jpg

DSC_0107_zps92fe3ea4.jpg

DSC_0109_zps199d4d66.jpg

Probably my last photos of the ship. The crow's nest and where you purchased specialty coffee.

DSC_1060_zps60554ee6.jpg

DSC_1072_zps82939184.jpg

Disembarkation up next.