Anyone taken a child on a "Non Kid-Friendly" Cruise?

PermanentHoliday

On the Family Board too!! I get it. Really I do - not everyone wants to be with my kids. We are much older parents and in 15 years our daughters will be graduating college. I don't think I need to wait until my DH is 75 and I am 68 to experience a luxury cruise. Family time is to be cherished! It is not like we are sharing the same cabin. To the OP: enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i don't know about that. Going up to a person and saying, without even introducing yourself, that you don't like the look of them and are switching tables - that's not politeness in my book.

mte . . . ;)

Some kids want cartoon characters, wave pools and zip lines on their cruise ships. Similarly some adults want wet t-shirt contests, wave pools and zip lines. Those adults will be just as bored on many of the "up scale" lines (and thus just as prone to "acting up")

Don't assume that age is the only factor that will determine whether a passenger will enjoy a certain type of a cruise or a cruise line.

We sailed a British Iles itinerary on Regent Seven Seas Voyager (our preferred line, by far) and there was a 2-year-old little boy on board. RSSC doesn't have formal nights, as such, but on one of the suggested dressier nights, this little boy showed up in full Scottish kilt regalia. He was the hit of the ship! As we got off in London, I glanced up at where their suite had been, and workmen were removing the plexiglass shield that had been installed for his safety by Regent.

We have been on several Regent ships where there were just a few kids, and there was usually a member of the crew hanging out with them. Regent has set activities for kids during certain times of the year, but they are always welcome and I've never seen cold looks. Regent is one of THE luxury lines.

Just sayin'

I have no problems with children being brought on a luxury cruise or eating at a luxury restraunt. The problem is with the parents of SOME children who do not expect their children to behave (and, yes, I have a problem with adults who don't know how to behave either; but that's not the topic of this post).

If you are going to bring children to an event, vacation -- whatever the occasion is -- they should be able to act appropriately. But that's really the case anywhere not just a cruise. And I understand that kids will be kids, but that's where the parents step in and instruct -- and that shouldn't start when they're six or seven years old. That's starts from the moment they're born!! And when they lapse and have a meltdown, parents deal with it. They also know their kids' limitations; and if eating dinner at 8:00 is not going to work for their children, they choose another dining option.

Unfortunately in a lot of situations, parents don't want to parent. If everyone -- parents and non-parents -- would treat others the way they'd want to be treated, the vacation would be great for all involved.

Edited by pkay414