Anyone taken a child on a "Non Kid-Friendly" Cruise?

PermanentHoliday

Oceana does offer a spectacular buffet. I was traveling sans children and still opted to eat there every nite. It was delicious.

Oceania is only one line and not representative of all.

The OP started this thread with Oceana. That's why I commented. Keep in mind that when I was a kid, cruise ships were small 30,000Tons and there were not youth programs. Somehow the whole family had a great time. I think kids are easy to please. Give me a pool and my sisters and we had a ball. When it's a family cruise- it's a great way to bond and there are many helping hands. It will work out regardless of the cruise line. We stayed at a fancy resort in Switzerland a few years ago and it was fine. I was hesitant to go but my whole family helped with my two year old and it was a relaxing trip. Yes- Ducklite.. my son actually never cried or fussed because I know how to parent and knew his limitations and mine. Most parents do and I've yet to see unruly children on ships but have seen unruly adults.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Not all ships have buffets. Some ships only offer a single dining venue some nights. Again, when a line offers zero amenities for children, do you really think they want them on board?

If they wanted to be child-free, they would make it child-free. There's no reading between the lines - it's either child free or it's not. Since it's not, only undignified people would be icy or look down on a family who chooses a line that doesn't have kids amenities.

I grew up cruising on lines that had a single seating with no buffet option. If you wanted to eat, you sat at your assigned table at the assigned time for every meal. There were no kids activities or amenities, but we had fun and cruising was a great family vacation.

I do thank you for your posts. It does show the OP that there will always be people who think the way you do - thankfully I've never come across them either as a child or as a parent cruising non-traditionally child-friendly lines. There are also lots of people who don't think kids should be on cruises at all, so you'll come across grumps on any line. No need to make decisions based on that.

All the best,

Mia

I am of a similar point-of-view of RebeccaLouiseAgain, just because a line does not actively market to younger passendgers, does not mean that children are not allowed. Unless a line has a stated age restriction, children are allowed.

When I was a child, cruise lines had no childrens' programs, no buffets, no childrens' menus, but the $$ that my parents paid for passage for my sister and me, was welcomed as were we. In many cases we were among the only or very few children (and in one case my parents were considered "young" since the other cruisers were pretty much 15-20years their senior :))

Prior to starting our family, my DH and I often cruised. The mere presence of children did not impinge in any way upon our enjoyment of our vacation. Many of the cruises we took were primarily marketed to "mature" cruisers, so perhaps we were not welcome? (for we were at least young at heart :D).

Not all children enjoy all of the "hustle" of the current overly large, overly commercialized cruise ships. Many children have wide tastes and do not require a kid's menu. Many families are perfectly capable of enjoying each other's company and do not need special programs or activities, to have a great time.

These lines may not be the right choice for every family, but these same cruiselines may not be the right choice for everyone. I know many adults who would be "bored" on board these "mature" cruises. I know many adult cruisers who prefer pizza from the buffet or just the "plain chicken breast" on the menu to the nightly fare in the MDR.

We cruise primarily for the ports and have always been perfectly capable of keeping ourselves (including our kid) perfectly entertained, perfectly fed, etc. No matter what the line, the staff and our fellow passengers have treated us well and in most cases we have developed warm relationships.

Go ahead and pre-judge the family on your next cruise. Be openly rude to them, so that they may know to avoid you. It will likely be your loss, since many of the familes that choose these types of cruises are pretty wonderful people.

If they wanted to be child-free' date=' they would make it child-free. There's no reading between the lines - it's either child free or it's not. Since it's not, only undignified people would be icy or look down on a family who chooses a line that doesn't have kids amenities.

I grew up cruising on lines that had a single seating with no buffet option. If you wanted to eat, you sat at your assigned table at the assigned time for every meal. There were no kids activities or amenities, but we had fun and cruising was a great family vacation.

I do thank you for your posts. It does show the OP that there will always be people who think the way you do - thankfully I've never come across them either as a child or as a parent cruising non-traditionally child-friendly lines. There are also lots of people who don't think kids should be on cruises at all, so you'll come across grumps on any line. No need to make decisions based on that.

All the best,

Mia[/quote']

I could not have said it better. Completely agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If they wanted to be child-free' date=' they would make it child-free. There's no reading between the lines - it's either child free or it's not. Since it's not, only undignified people would be icy or look down on a family who chooses a line that doesn't have kids amenities.

All the best,

Mia[/quote']

Not everyone wants to be around kids, and the rude ones are the ones with kids who impose them on others. If I was seated at dinner and a family with kids was seated with us, I would politely tell the parents we prefer adult table mates, so we're going to excuse ourselves to be reseated. The only thing rude about that would be the parents who get upset over it.

Yes- Ducklite.. my son actually never cried or fussed because I know how to parent and knew his limitations and mine.

I agree with you on just about everything else that you've posted in this thread (i.e., as long as the adults are taking responsibility for their children and their behavior, take them on any cruise that will let you board), but this statement seems insulting to any parent who has had a strong-willed, attention-seeking child (or indeed, anyone with a special needs child).

Edited by The Mister

Not everyone wants to be around kids, and the rude ones are the ones with kids who impose them on others. If I was seated at dinner and a family with kids was seated with us, I would politely tell the parents we prefer adult table mates, so we're going to excuse ourselves to be reseated. The only thing rude about that would be the parents who get upset over it.

I don't think anyone has said they would get upset if you politely excused yourselves from sharing a dinner table with children. We were once sitting at our table on the first night when a couple walked up, clearly shocked to see my twin toddlers at their table. I said "What did you do to the head waiter?" We all had a laugh and they went to go work out alternate arrangements. There's no problem with that. It's when you said something along the lines of your treatment of the parents would be cool or icy or something in an earlier post. If you've now changed that to you would be polite, we can all get along on the same ship and all have our own wonderful voyages. :)

Best,

Mia

Edited by Kerry's Girls

I don't think anyone has said they would get upset if you politely excused yourselves from sharing a dinner table with children. We were once sitting at our table on the first night when a couple walked up' date=' clearly shocked to see my twin toddlers at their table. I said "What did you do to the head waiter?" We all had a laugh and they went to go work out alternate arrangements. There's no problem with that. It's when you said something along the lines of your treatment of the parents would be cool or icy or something in an earlier post. If you've now changed that to you would be polite, we can all get along on the same ship and all have our own wonderful voyages. :)

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I didn't say I would be icy, but rather that parents should expect it from some. I would however, be polite but cool. I would not want to encourage them into thinking I wanted to socialize with them when the kids were present.

Sadly there are plenty of parents who can't understand why others don't find their children precious, and do get offended. It happened recently when we went to a movie and changed rows when a family with five kids that looked under 10 sat down behind us at a PG-13 movie. :rolleyes:

Edited by ducklite

I don't know about that. Going up to a person and saying, without even introducing yourself, that you don't like the look of them and are switching tables - that's not politeness in my book.

I don't know about that. Going up to a person and saying, without even introducing yourself, that you don't like the look of them and are switching tables - that's not politeness in my book.

Um, wrong. I get seated at a table, and the next thing I know, a family with a couple kids gets seated with us. We don't want to dine with kids. We want adult conversation, which simply doesn't happen when kids are at the table--they change the entire dynamic of the meal. I don't understand why you find it so offensive that We don't want to sit with kids. It has nothing to do with "how they look" but rather that we want to sit with adults.

Ducklite- unless you are traveling with children they would never seat you with a family with kids. On any of the smaller cruise ships that don't cater to children- you would never be seated with a family. Get real. Your fears are not only unfounded but this is getting really old. Give it a rest.

I agree with you on just about everything else that you've posted in this thread (i.e., as long as the adults are taking responsibility for their children and their behavior, take them on any cruise that will let you board), but this statement seems insulting to any parent who has had a strong-willed, attention-seeking child (or indeed, anyone with a special needs child).

Let this thread end please:eek:

Ducklite- unless you are traveling with children they would never seat you with a family with kids. On any of the smaller cruise ships that don't cater to children- you would never be seated with a family. Get real. Your fears are not only unfounded but this is getting really old. Give it a rest.

You are actually incorrect. On my last cruise there were several younger children in board, and at least once once of the families was seated with a couple without kids--friends of ours. They said it was not an enjoyable meal.

Um, wrong. I get seated at a table, and the next thing I know, a family with a couple kids gets seated with us. We don't want to dine with kids. We want adult conversation, which simply doesn't happen when kids are at the table--they change the entire dynamic of the meal. I don't understand why you find it so offensive that We don't want to sit with kids. It has nothing to do with "how they look" but rather that we want to sit with adults.

When does a child become suitable company - on his 18th birthday? I'd have thought there was a bit of leeway, where some children are suitable company and some adults are not. (Bear in mind that any time you change tables, you are going to be seated with adults who someone else has decided are not suitable company.)

When does a child become suitable company - on his 18th birthday? I'd have thought there was a bit of leeway, where some children are suitable company and some adults are not. (Bear in mind that any time you change tables, you are going to be seated with adults who someone else has decided are not suitable company.)

Generally around the age of 16 or so is where they stop being kids and begin to be young adults. Of course that varies by child. I'm not talking about mid and older teens when I say children, btw. Bear in mind that some ships have open seating where you change tables every night, and who you are seated with is luck of teh draw and has nothing to do with someone else's cast offs.

Edited by ducklite

This discussion has gotten off-topic. It is no longer about taking a child on a "Non Kid-Friendly" cruise. Rather it has become a discussion about someone's personal preference in regards to their cruising wants and needs.

I would suggest ending the latter discussion or locking the thread.

What someone's personal preferences are regarding children on a cruise has no bearing on whether anyone has taken a child on a "Non Kid-Friendly" cruise. We understand that there are people who have this opinion and discussing their preferences does nothing to further benefit the thread.

Frankly, if somebody wants to discuss why they don't like children on a cruise, please create a new topic regarding that discussion so it does not interfere with the topic at hand. Failing to do so is rude to the families who genuinely want to know what it is like to cruise on the higher end lines that cater more towards older adults.

When I cruised on what I considered a line I think is generally geared towards older cruisers (HAL - although I fully concede that some might consider that a family or at least an intergenerational line) I always requested a private table at dinnertime, as I did not think other cruisers would necessarily want to dine with a toddler. The maitre'd was always very accommodating to this request, as I'm sure it was easier to seat my family alone than reseat angry passengers who were assigned to our table.

Edited by kitkat343

As a long time reader/poster on CC, I think I know where this is all coming from.

For YEARS, and yes, I mean YEARS .....those who did not want to cruise with children or be on a ship that would have some kids on it, were told to cruise on a luxury line for a longer cruise......by some of the posters here who now are saying "if they don't forbide kids then they should be welcolmed.

I'm sorry, but after preaching to childless couples and those who want to cruise without kids and promoting the luxury cruise lines with longer itineraries..........to now tell this same segment of cruisers that they should have to now tolerate kids on cruise lines that are typically adult centric cruises is just insensitive to those cruisers who have listened to your advice through they years......and you are now telling them that they really have no right to complain about the cruises that they have chose based on YOUR advice from the past few years.

JMHO

Edited by sailinglisa

As a long time reader/poster on CC, I think I know where this is all coming from.

For YEARS, and yes, I mean YEARS .....those who did not want to cruise with children or be on a ship that would have some kids on it, were told to cruise on a luxury line for a longer cruise......by some of the posters here who now are saying "if they don't forbide kids then they should be welcolmed.

I'm sorry, but after preaching to childless couples and those who want to cruise without kids and promoting the luxury cruise lines with longer itineraries..........to now tell this same segment of cruisers that they should have to now tolerate kids on cruise lines that are typically adult centric cruises is just insensitive to those cruisers who have listened to your advice through they years......and you are now telling them that they really have no right to complain about the cruises that they have chose based on YOUR advice from the past few years.

JMHO

To sum up, if you want to cruise on an adult-only ship, book a cruise on an adult-only ship.

You are correct that passengers have no right to complain if a few other passengers, who have booked their passage in accordance under the same terms and conditions, are not the sort of passengers they would consider suitable companions.

To sum up, if you want to cruise on an adult-only ship, book a cruise on an adult-only ship.

You are correct that passengers have no right to complain if a few other passengers, who have booked their passage in accordance under the same terms and conditions, are not the sort of passengers they would consider suitable companions.

BIngo!

I find interesting that someone who does not have children/or whose children are grown would even have a reason to search the family cruise forum and then respond over and over again to the OP's question. No reason other than to harass parents who would dare to share the cruise experience with their children..you know,the FAMILY in family cruise forum? Enough already, we get it. Find yourself the adults only cruise / adults only resort/ adults only restaurant etc....trust me, my family and I would have zero interest on spending time with you either.

JMHO

Finally some one who gets it.

I find interesting that someone who does not have children/or whose children are grown would even have a reason to search the family cruise forum and then respond over and over again to the OP's question. No reason other than to harass parents who would dare to share the cruise experience with their children..you know,the FAMILY in family cruise forum? Enough already, we get it. Find yourself the adults only cruise / adults only resort/ adults only restaurant etc....trust me, my family and I would have zero interest on spending time with you either.

So, just because I am single, does this mean I do not have family (siblings, cousins, etc) that do have children who I love and we want to cruise together at times? That's just ONE reason why we read and post on the family board. Are they not FAMILY?????? Why do many posters here seem to think this forum is just about parents and kids cruising together, when in actuality there are many forms of family out there.

Edited by sailinglisa