Anyone taken a child on a "Non Kid-Friendly" Cruise?

PermanentHoliday

So, just because I am single, does this mean I do not have family (siblings, cousins, etc) that do have children who I love and we want to cruise together at times? That's just ONE reason why we read and post on the family board. Are they not FAMILY?????? Why do many posters here seem to think this forum is just about parents and kids cruising together, when in actuality there are many forms of family out there.

Yup. I've been talking to my cousin about a cruise for a family reunion in the next couple of years. We will have ages from three to 70+. Just because my child is grown, it doesn't mean I will never cruise with little ones. By the way, we won't consider a ship that has no children's amenities. We aren't dense as to not be able to read between the lines. Right now we are looking at DCL as the number one contender and Princess as another possibility.

When does a child become suitable company - on his 18th birthday? I'd have thought there was a bit of leeway, where some children are suitable company and some adults are not. (Bear in mind that any time you change tables, you are going to be seated with adults who someone else has decided are not suitable company.)

Perhaps a better question is when do adults become suitable company? Some on here certainly don't seem to be people I would want to sit with.

Not everyone wants to be around kids, and the rude ones are the ones with kids who impose them on others. If I was seated at dinner and a family with kids was seated with us, I would politely tell the parents we prefer adult table mates, so we're going to excuse ourselves to be reseated. The only thing rude about that would be the parents who get upset over it.

Excuse me?

My daughters are grown now, but when they were teens, had I taken them on a cruise that did not have a teen club, they would have found plenty to keep themselves busy. They knew how to behave in an "adult" restaurant. They attended Broadway shows as very young children, so of course they would know proper etiquette for any entertainment on board the ship. And believe it or not, they could carry on a conversation that didn't involve school, cheerleading or the latest boy band., because they spent time with adults and knew what adults talk about.

I'd rather spend an evening with such teens than with a lot of adults I know.

Yup. I've been talking to my cousin about a cruise for a family reunion in the next couple of years. We will have ages from three to 70+. Just because my child is grown, it doesn't mean I will never cruise with little ones. By the way, we won't consider a ship that has no children's amenities. We aren't dense as to not be able to read between the lines. Right now we are looking at DCL as the number one contender and Princess as another possibility.

If a cruise didn't want children, they would tell you it is an adults only cruise. There are no lines to read between.

Excuse me?

My daughters are grown now, but when they were teens, had I taken them on a cruise that did not have a teen club, they would have found plenty to keep themselves busy. They knew how to behave in an "adult" restaurant. They attended Broadway shows as very young children, so of course they would know proper etiquette for any entertainment on board the ship. And believe it or not, they could carry on a conversation that didn't involve school, cheerleading or the latest boy band., because they spent time with adults and knew what adults talk about.

I'd rather spend an evening with such teens than with a lot of adults I know.

As I said in a previous post, I am not talking about teens who are able to entertain themselves.

There's a big difference between being quiet and well behaved for 90 minutes at a show, and a week in a cruise ship.

I don't understand why people find it so offensive that some don't want to be seated with children. My goodness, it's not like I am suggesting tossing them overboard.

If a cruise didn't want children, they would tell you it is an adults only cruise. There are no lines to read between.

Fortunately the line I will be cruising in from now in won't accept bookings for kids six and under, and has no children's program or amenities--most parents aren't dense enough to think that kids would be welcome by fellow cruisers given that info.

Fortunately the line I will be cruising in from now in won't accept bookings for kids six and under, and has no children's program or amenities--most parents aren't dense enough to think that kids would be welcome by fellow cruisers given that info.

It appears the cruise line will book children over 6. Most cruisers aren't dense enough to think there is a 0% chance of no kids on the cruise.

It appears the cruise line will book children over 6. Most cruisers aren't dense enough to think there is a 0% chance of no kids on the cruise.

And if any parent is dense enough to bring them, they should expect the ice from fellow passengers.

And if any parent is dense enough to bring them, they should expect the ice from fellow passengers.

The vast majority of passengers have class and grace and won't be icy. As stated before, there will be passengers on any ship who think they get to judge, though they are by far in the minority. I was told on the boards for my first cruise that I had no business bringing toddlers (there are no facilities for them, etc.) and I feared I would be a pariah, but it was the complete opposite and we had no negative experiences. So, once again OP, most people aren't the types who have time to worry about what others are doing and people of all kinds are able to share the same space while being respectful of each other.

All the best,

Mia

The vast majority of passengers have class and grace and won't be icy. As stated before' date=' there will be passengers on any ship who think they get to judge, though they are by far in the minority.[/b'] I was told on the boards for my first cruise that I had no business bringing toddlers (there are no facilities for them, etc.) and I feared I would be a pariah, but it was the complete opposite and we had no negative experiences. So, once again OP, most people aren't the types who have time to worry about what others are doing and people of all kinds are able to share the same space while being respectful of each other.

All the best,

Mia

It appears there is at least one of those passengers on this thread.

The vast majority of passengers have class and grace and won't be icy. As stated before' date=' there will be passengers on any ship who think they get to judge, though they are by far in the minority. I was told on the boards for my first cruise that I had no business bringing toddlers (there are no facilities for them, etc.) and I feared I would be a pariah, but it was the complete opposite and we had no negative experiences. So, once again OP, most people aren't the types who have time to worry about what others are doing and people of all kinds are able to share the same space while being respectful of each other.

All the best,

Mia[/quote']

Having just gotten off a small luxury ship where a couple of families brought young children, I can tell you that overall the reaction of other passengers was NOT welcoming to them.

Having just gotten off a small luxury ship where a couple of families brought young children, QUOTE]

So, OP, just as one example - on one small luxury cruise alone there was more than one family with children. Of course you can't count on it, but chances are, your kids might have others to play with.

Best,

Mia

Having just gotten off a small luxury ship where a couple of families brought young children, I can tell you that overall the reaction of other passengers was NOT welcoming to them.

That says more about the other passengers than it does about the families.

Having just gotten off a small luxury ship where a couple of families brought young children' date=' QUOTE']

So, OP, just as one example - on one small luxury cruise alone there was more than one family with children. Of course you can't count on it, but chances are, your kids might have others to play with.

Best,

Mia

Yup, the two year old played with the seven year old. :rolleyes:

My most recent cruise was on Carnival. Very kid friendly. The worst behavior I saw was not from children, but from so-called adults who should have known better.

So long as the cruise line allows you to bring your children and your children behave appropriately, it's none of my business, is it?

It's not like they brought their pom pons, and they're stunting and tumbling and shouting cheers on deck. (That might be appropriate in a theme park, but not on a small ship.)

I really think it depends on the child. Now, if you're trying to tell us that your family's children are unbearable in adult company I will reluctantly believe it - you know them best. But that doesn't mean that all other children are. I'm more than happy to meet the children before writing them off as unfit to share a 500 foot long ship.

As I said earlier in this thread, there was 1 teenage and 1 pre-teen child on the last cruise I went on, and they were both in the next cabin to me. It was not a problem.

Most parents who bring children on cruises where there is no children's club, will only bring children who can behave themselves. Parents whose children need a children's club, will take them on a ship with a children's club.

I really think it depends on the child. Now, if you're trying to tell us that your family's children are unbearable in adult company I will reluctantly believe it - you know them best. But that doesn't mean that all other children are. I'm more than happy to meet the children before writing them off as unfit to share a 500 foot long ship.

As I said earlier in this thread, there was 1 teenage and 1 pre-teen child on the last cruise I went on, and they were both in the next cabin to me. It was not a problem.

Most parents who bring children on cruises where there is no children's club, will only bring children who can behave themselves. Parents whose children need a children's club, will take them on a ship with a children's club.

Unfortunately the statement in bold is not always the case.

I have sailed with children on Seabourn and they were delightful.......remembering two lovely young boys in December who were 7 & 8 yo.......but those parents were very hands on and kept them occupied and kept them busy. They made sure they read their children's requirements well.

I have also sailed with a 3 year old who would have frequent melt downs at dinner so if you happened to be sitting next to them you were on edge. He would run around almost tripping up some of the older people on deck........he is a child he needs to run........but it was awkward. These parents tended to not be hands on and should have brought a Nanny. It was an awkward two weeks for the parents.

I guess I am trying to say if you bring children on board a smaller more luxury end vessel be prepared to Parent well and be there at all times for your children's needs. Then you will get many compliments as the parents of the two lovely 7 & 8 yo boys did. :)

Julie

I wouldn't know about the expensive end of the market, like Silversea. Maybe there are a small proportion of the richer group of passengers who have the sense of entitlement that their children aren't obliged to behave? Or maybe that's an unfair generalisation. I'm fairly sure, though, that the group of passengers whose children run them ragged and who can't afford a nanny will choose a ship with children's facilities rather than one without, if only to give themselves a rest occasionally. So smaller ships at the cheaper end of the market - Fred Olsen and Voyages of Discovery, for example - will have few badly-behaved children.

Big difference as both of those lines offer children's facilities. The OP was talking about the lines that offer no such thing, Seabourne, Windstar, Paul Gauguin, Sea Dream, etc. Personally I would never bring a child onto a ship that so actively discourages them by providing no facilities, no menu, no programming, no cribs, nothing for children. It isn't that difficult to read between the lines that they aren't welcome.

Ducklite: "Having just gotten off a small luxury ship where a couple of families brought young children, I can tell you that overall the reaction of other passengers was NOT welcoming to them."

I've been reading these boards for the last month researching a family cruise for next summer. Yesterday while reading the most recent issue of Travel and Leisure, I saw an ad for a cruise line touting the award they had AGAIN received by the readers as the "best small ship for families."

That cruise line? Paul Gauguin. If your signature is accurate, then I believe that is the line you just came off.

They seem to be proud of this fact, and also offer programming during holidays and summer, so I would hardly call that "actively discouraging" people from bringing kids.

If they are welcome by the line, then dirty looks and polite coolness should not scare parents away. If a bunch of cranky people have a problem with (well behaved) kids, then that is their issue.

Ducklite: "Having just gotten off a small luxury ship where a couple of families brought young children, I can tell you that overall the reaction of other passengers was NOT welcoming to them."

I've been reading these boards for the last month researching a family cruise for next summer. Yesterday while reading the most recent issue of Travel and Leisure, I saw an ad for a cruise line touting the award they had AGAIN received by the readers as the "best small ship for families."

That cruise line? Paul Gauguin. If your signature is accurate, then I believe that is the line you just came off.

They seem to be proud of this fact, and also offer programming during holidays and summer, so I would hardly call that "actively discouraging" people from bringing kids.

If they are welcome by the line, then dirty looks and polite coolness should not scare parents away. If a bunch of cranky people have a problem with (well behaved) kids, then that is their issue.

It was not summer, there was no programming. People choose that time of year to avoid children. During times where there is children's programming, of course you would expect to see kids. I can tell you that overall the people in the sailing I was on were not appreciative of the children on board, and were very cool towards those families, particularly the one with the rambunctious seven year old. Because there was no programming, the kids were bored and had no place to run off steam where they wouldn't be bothering other guests who wanted a quiet environment. Kids at the next table really disrupted the group vow renewal ceremony, and the ignorant parents chose to not remove them, instead laughing at their antics. It was not cute, it was obnoxious. There was a couple seated with us who were celebrating their 60th who were upset because they couldn't hear over the noise the kids were making. That said, there were many things we didn't like about the Paul Gauguin, and I wouldn't recommend sailing with them, kids or not.

I'm actually referring more to Windstar though. They don't have kids programs, ever. They don't have a kids menu, don't accept kids six and under, and have no activities or amenities for them. They make it pretty clear that they really aren't set up for kids and their atmosphere is not appropriate for them.

It was not summer, there was no programming. People choose that time of year to avoid children. During times where there is children's programming, of course you would expect to see kids. I can tell you that overall the people in the sailing I was on were not appreciative of the children on board, and were very cool towards those families, particularly the one with the rambunctious seven year old. Because there was no programming, the kids were bored and had no place to run off steam where they wouldn't be bothering other guests who wanted a quiet environment. Kids at the next table really disrupted the group vow renewal ceremony, and the ignorant parents chose to not remove them, instead laughing at their antics. It was not cute, it was obnoxious. There was a couple seated with us who were celebrating their 60th who were upset because they couldn't hear over the noise the kids were making. That said, there were many things we didn't like about the Paul Gauguin, and I wouldn't recommend sailing with them, kids or not.

I'm actually referring more to Windstar though. They don't have kids programs, ever. They don't have a kids menu, don't accept kids six and under, and have no activities or amenities for them. They make it pretty clear that they really aren't set up for kids and their atmosphere is not appropriate for them.

It is amazing how you are always able to change your story to continuously prove you are correct. That deserves some credit.

It is amazing how you are always able to change your story to continuously prove you are correct. That deserves some credit.

It is perhaps the reason why the poster has a post count that is over 10,000.

Nothing is more fun than starting arguments on a message board that is supposed to help others with questions and discussions.

The same poster must be a wonderful addition to their friends' social media accounts as well.

Edited by Mack2