Land trip or cruise

Help me decide. We're very interested in Andulucia and wondering if a cruise that includes Barcelona, Valencia, Malaga, Cadiz, Lisbon and Madeira would be an ok overview or should we spend our time doing a land trip. We're big on land trips, but the cruise being a transatlantic is a pretty good price. Opinions? Thanks

I was on the Liberty TA last April and thought many had the right idea. I think maybe 20+ couples signed off in Cadiz as their time was limited and they wanted to do a combined Sea/Land tour.

I have a place in Andalucía and am there often and can definitely say a land tour would best do it justice. I have been traveling all around the region for 15 years and am always making new and interesting discoveries.

That said, you can easily take in tourist highlights of the region from a cruise.

Help me decide. We're very interested in Andulucia and wondering if a cruise that includes Barcelona, Valencia, Malaga, Cadiz, Lisbon and Madeira would be an ok overview or should we spend our time doing a land trip. We're big on land trips, but the cruise being a transatlantic is a pretty good price. Opinions? Thanks

Greetings from Andalucía!

You only have 2 stops in Andalucía on that itinerary - Cadiz and Malaga.

Andalucía is a vast - and absolutely fascinating - area and deserves much more than a couple of short stays.

You really need to do a land trip.

Edited by campolady

If you want to see Andalucia, you'll be sinking a lot of time into the transit -- without seeing any of your preferred destinations -- regardless of price. If I want to see a place, I prefer going to that place. With the internet, and especially with boards like this, I know enough about my destinations that I don't have to sample places before deciding to return for a more in-depth visit.

The Cadiz port is another reason why I suggest a land trip. Cadiz is about 90 minutes from Seville. There are reliable day trip companies that will meet the ship and take you to Seville for an abbreviated visit there. We did just that on a recent cruise, but we really, really wished we could have stayed longer.

If you were beginning or ending a cruise from Barcelona, I might feel differently about my recommendation. In either of those situations, you could add on some pre- or post-cruise time in that fabulous city. If I were going to be in Barcelona for one day only, I'd be frustrated beyond words.

I visited Spain for a two week land trip in the 80s and another land trip of Portugal in the 80s.

Also, I have done two cruises out of Barcelona, with a stop in Malaga, Morocco and the Canary Islands.

You can combine a cruise with a land trip. Not sure how much time you have to tour Spain?

To see Madrid, Toledo and Segovia, you need to do a land trip. Plan for a week minimum in the Madrid area. Don't miss Toledo and Segovia.

Seville is a must see in Andulucia, also Granada. You can easily spend another week in Andulucia. For Portugal, you need a week.

Barcelona is another must see. Better to take it in pre or post cruise.

Spain is a large country, but has some high speed rail links between major cities.

Thanks guys, some wonderful advice. We have been to Barcelona twice before and do love it. I think we'll book the cruise next week when it comes out just to hold the price but then think long and hard about doing a land trip.l We can only do two weeks in this time frame as we have my 50th which will fall into the same vacation year at work. A week on land and then the Transatlantic back would have been perfect.

Thanks again.

From Barcelona you have direct high speed train to Sevilla and Malaga (5h30') at a starting price of 46€. http://www.renfe.es

There are also many flights per day from Barcelona to Sevilla, Malaga, or Granada that shouldn't be too expensive unless is high season. Try http://www.vueling.com and http://www.ryanair.com.

If you do Cadiz and Malaga while on cruise and provided you have enough time afterwards, why not taking a train or flight from Barcelona to Granada or Sevilla and rent a car? This way you can visit Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, and finally Granada surroundings which are mountainous and lovely. If you add that to Cadiz and Malaga you will see the main highlights of Andalucia.

Maybe avoid visiting during July and August if you can, way too hot in that area.

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings from Andalucía!

You only have 2 stops in Andalucía on that itinerary - Cadiz and Malaga.

Andalucía is a vast - and absolutely fascinating - area and deserves much more than a couple of short stays.

You really need to do a land trip.

I completely agree! You need a land trip to see Andalucia.

Land trip.

A cruise will not do it. You will see about 2 percent and experience 0 percent. We have done both several times.

Don't forget the 'white hill towns' and Toledo!

We do a combo of rail and one way car rentals.

Edited by iancal

• 6 months later...

I wanted to revisit this topic. We dropped the idea of the Transatlantic but did find this which gives us a bit more indepth spain..We really liked the overnights. So now I'm torn between this, which comes with a free drink package, gratuities and some OBC and a land trip. I think my mind was made up to do the land trip but this cruise would sure make it easy.

Barcelona, Spain

Barcelona, Spain

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Cartagena, Spain

Gibraltar, UK Territory

At Sea

Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon, Portugal

At Sea

Cadiz, Spain

Malaga, Spain

Malaga, Spain

At Sea

Barcelona, Spain

Edited by Cruise Junky

Looks good. I recommend going to Granada 1 day while you dock in Malaga. Such a pretty town. Also book Alhambra tickets well in time if you do that.

Never been to Cartagena before, there is a roman theatre there (Cartagonova) quite well preserved.

Gibraltar, never been there either. It's a strange place, but I'sure you'll find something interesting to see. Plus crossing the strait looks fun.

Lisbon and Cadiz are lovely. Malaga is more build-up / industrial, yet you have many nice places around.