Sailing in the Haven with a 6 month old baby

jesron1269

I didn't see as kid bashing either. As a new cruiser I thought the haven was adult only. As I lurked here more often I found it wasn't. Then I started reading more posts and book it!! I have taught children with sensory issues so I understand a little bit of where you coming from. But could you imagine if non guest were brought in by guests the noise level will exceed. Then I start thinking what if the kids and adults all start playing loud music on their iPhones. It won't be tranquil any more and it probably won't be a place your daughter(or any adults with sensory issues) could enjoy. As new cruisers we ask questions not knowing it's a sore subject, some replies are very helpful and some are mean( I haven't had that happen yet, but I'm sure it's coming). I hope I didn't offend anyone!

Wow. I am so glad I asked the question here instead of relying on NCL's description of a tranquil spot. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I want a different experience than what it sounds like I will get. Maybe I need to re-think my plans and look at different lines!

Thank you everyone for the information.

Clearly you hate upscale children. :D

While the great Haven debate goes on, I'd like to add one thing. There is a vast difference between the havens on the mega ships (Epic, Breakaway, Getaway) and the Jewel-class ships (Jewel, Gem, Pearl, etc). The mega ship havens are much more kid-friendly, as they are larger with more space for all, and a LOT better acoustically. The Jewel -class havens are much less kid-friendly, very small (and frankly boring for kids), horrible acoustically, and much more of a whisper kind of area. A couple kids splashing in the Haven pool of a mega ship won't bother most people because of space/noise, but those same kids in a Jewel-class Haven pool can destroy any tranquility (and dry areas) in the space and likely bother quite a few.

Robin

I was seriously looking at a Haven suite on Getaway .... wanting to take advantage of the current offers. However, it's still a little pricey. No way would I pay that amount of money to be bopped on the head with a football.:(

I don't understand why anyone would pay this kind of money The only times we have ever spent $25000 were the 2x we took our family of 6 to the med on 11 day cruises plus lots of pre and post cruise days. Best vacations ever and we are planning to do it a third time.

For my money when we cruise the Carib or Bahamas it is 2 ov cabins and as cheap as they can be. I save our money for Europe and cape cod beachfronts

Edited by Crusin6

I don't understand why anyone would pay this kind of money The only times we have ever spent $25000 were the 2x we took our family of 6 to the med on 11 day cruises plus lots of pre and post cruise days. Best vacations ever and we are planning to do it a third time.

For my money when we cruise the Carib or Bahamas it is 2 ov cabins and as cheap as they can be. I save our money for Europe and cape cod beachfronts

I guess the best way to explain it is to each his own. I would never dream of cruising without at least a balcony; I get very little time off from work so when I do I tend to go all out. It's whatever you are comfortable with financially and what is important to you.

I guess the best way to explain it is to each his own. I would never dream of cruising without at least a balcony; I get very little time off from work so when I do I tend to go all out. It's whatever you are comfortable with financially and what is important to you.

Oh I agree. But it still amazes me how many cruisers are willing to pay such high prices for perceived luxury on a cruise.

I personally find the butler thing to be very intrusive

But of course that is my opinion and has nothing to do with anyone else

I don't about anyone else but I didn't pay anywhere near 25,000 divide that by 5 and your closer to what we paid.

Many posters her have said they have paid around $20000 give or take for their stay in the haven. I don't have a clue how many pax that is for. Btw even staying in 2 ocean views for a family if 6 us around $5000. So if 6 pax can get the haven for $5000 total that's great but my thinking is that you are quoting prices for 2 people total ?

Please give details thanks as I am always wondering about these costs as so many posters here seem to book the haven. Again number if pax really makes a difference.

We are family of 4 with kids 12 and 16. 2 bedroom suite. I booked with a big box online TA. I was constantly checking online TAs and the price popped up and I called also got 500 OBC. Everyone talks about their wonderful TAs and PCC but I just lucked out!! The 3 bedroom dropped to 15,000 but was gone in a blink of an eye. I goggled norwegian online TA every which( big box TA, largest ncl wholesaler TA...) I got that hint from someone else's post. I hope that helps!! Of course now I get daily email from them all, about specials, so may want to use a different email if that bothers you.

We are family of 4 with kids 12 and 16. 2 bedroom suite. I booked with a big box online TA. I was constantly checking online TAs and the price popped up and I called also got 500 OBC. Everyone talks about their wonderful TAs and PCC but I just lucked out!! The 3 bedroom dropped to 15,000 but was gone in a blink of an eye. I goggled norwegian online TA every which( big box TA, largest ncl wholesaler TA...) I got that hint from someone else's post. I hope that helps!! Of course now I get daily email from them all, about specials, so may want to use a different email if that bothers you.

So are you saying you paid $3000 a person?

Not sure from your post thanks. But if so that is $18000 for us for one week.

About 1550 each with all taxes and port fees included. I saw earlier one haven room left and the TA I used did not have the best price, another one did. I keep checking hoping to get lucky again and bring the inlaws.

First I want to applaud your level of concern and thought into whether or not it would be good to have a Haven suite with children, including an infant.

I would never dream of telling you one way or the other on what you should do.

I can only speak for myself - I often choose cabins that will give me space to retreat so to speak. If I did decide to book a Haven suite and found there were a lot of children using the courtyard - I have to confess I would feel disappointed as I had always assumed that the Haven was promoted as a quiet, private courtyard/pool space for suite guests. There is certainly nothing wrong with families using the space of course - In my (perhaps naive) pipe dream of someday booking a Haven suite didn't include kids tossing a football around! :)

Of course - no hairy eyeballs would be coming from me! :D I would just simply go elsewhere, which would be disappointing for me, and actually does make me have second thoughts about spending the extra money on a Haven suite if this is how the space might be used. Please don't see this as a complaint - simply an observation!

I will say that it sounds like you are incredibly conscientious, which I appreciate - I suspect you would be just fine.

Safe arrival of your little one, and I hope you have a fabulous cruise!

Cheers!

Many posters her have said they have paid around $20000 give or take for their stay in the haven. I don't have a clue how many pax that is for. Btw even staying in 2 ocean views for a family if 6 us around $5000. So if 6 pax can get the haven for $5000 total that's great but my thinking is that you are quoting prices for 2 people total ?

Please give details thanks as I am always wondering about these costs as so many posters here seem to book the haven. Again number if pax really makes a difference.

The only time I have paid $20,000 for one cabin (per week) (and that was list price, I didn't actually nearly pay that much thanks to CAS) was for the 3 bedroom Garden Villa over Christmas going to Egypt. For my GV sailing coming up, it's roughly $16,000 for our party of six adults - and that's the BIG 3 bed/ 3 bath villa that sleeps eight - our splurge! (A two bedroom villa for that sailing would have been less than $7000 for six of us when I booked - and that's for Alaska which, frankly, is overpriced .) Other than that one suite category, I have NEVER seen a Haven suite sell for $20,000 (unless it's a 3+ week cruise maybe!) We did six people in two suites (Owner's Suite + aft suite on the Sun - longer sailing in the Baltic Sea to Russia) for much less than that!

Most of the two bedroom Haven villas sell for much, much less. While I've never put more than three in the two-bedroom, I've also never paid over $6000 for two or three of us (and that includes the very first, very overpriced sailings on the Breakaway). Usually it's two of us around $4000-5000. Extra passengers don't add a lot more, it's same price for third thru sixth passengers in a Haven suite as it is for an inside cabin. Owner's Suites cost more than the Haven Two Bedrooms (generally) and even with a 9-10 day in the OS/DOS, it's roughly $8000 (would be less than $10,000 for four people). And if you look carefully, all these suites can be had for much, much less - plenty of bargains to be found!

Whoever is posting that they have booked one suite for a week and paid $20,000 has either booked the BIG 5000 sf. Three Bedroom Garden Villa - or they are talking about booking several suites - or they are exaggerating quite a bit ;):D.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Robin, your posts are slways so informative and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hehehe Donna, I think I likely overshared on that one! ;):D But it just makes me sad that people may not ever look at suites because they think they are so pricey. You and I both know there are great bargains to be had - especially for a larger family who might normally be in two cabins!

Robin

Hehehe Donna, I think I likely overshared on that one! ;):D But it just makes me sad that people may not ever look at suites because they think they are so pricey. You and I both know there are great bargains to be had - especially for a larger family who might normally be in two cabins!

Robin

Well since we usually pay around $3500 total for the6 of us in 2 ov cabins i guess even with the bargains they have it would still cost around $8000 for the 6 of us

The only time I have paid $8000 for the 6 if us was for 12 days in the med. can't justify that for the Carib. I have been a guest of a haven pax and I liked it up there but don't feel deprived not booking it and that is partially due to the fact I prefer not to know my room steward and I would really not be interested or impressed with the butler thing. Others are so glad Ncl offers that option

Thanks for the info

Edited by Crusin6

Well since we usually pay around $3500 total for the6 of us in 2 ov cabins if I could pay around $4000 in total for all of Us in the haven area maybe I would consider it

$4000 for six might be tough to find (I was thinking more like $5000-$5500). But it might be possible on some off-peak or last minute sailings (or you could get an upsell :D).. It also takes some getting used to having six in the two bedroom - it's usually about double the space, but the way it's broken up might disappoint some. So much of the space is taken up by the living room and the fabulous master bath, leaving the sleeping spaces very small. For some people, the Haven itself might not be something they would want anyway (we personally don't use the Haven much, but we love the actual suites and the service!) But I do hope that you are given the opportunity to try it sometime at a good price! :)

Robin

Robin

That's so true. My mom and I are lucky we met two gentlemen at our pre-cruise hotel who had us up to their haven villa on the Jewel. They shared so much info with us. My mom and I really like our own space. Why should we cruise in individual cabins at 200% when we can get a 2-room suite for just a little more cost? Then I found CC and here I learned so much, one thing being how different suites can be in configuration and perks. Our next Jewel cruise will be in the Haven for my niece's 18th birthday. I love getting insight from those who share, like you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow what a bunch of snarky comments. This thread was not intended to elicit responses on whether kids should be in the Haven or not just merely thoughts of a 6 month old and cruising in the Haven. Sorry if I created any problems with this thread. I do want to say about the various people who made comments regarding getting hit in the head with a football and the like, I have to say you are making some pretty general assumptions without asking about the facts. Personally my wife and I are ones who would never leave our children unattended. The chances of you getting hit with a football is slim to none. My point about the comment was that they are old enough to entertain themselves and do a good job. Apparently the pool is not big enough for such entertainment so we would not bring it. Just like I do not assume you people hate kids please do not assume we would not have control over them or laid some ground rules coming in. My concern was never my three older kids but rather the 6 month old.

I hope I didn't offend you!! Honestly if we were still lucky enough to have baby/toddler, the haven is what we would book. You have space that he/she can walk/crawl or toddle around with the less chance of getting knocked down or bumped into. Plus any late night when a stroller is needed to soothe or put the baby sleep it will right near your cabin. I just didn't want your older kids to be bumed about the size of the pool, as mine had visioned something else entirely.