Sailing in the Haven with a 6 month old baby

jesron1269

Do NOT count on the Haven pool/hot tub being underutilized!!!

HAve ALWAYS had fullcapacity Haven and lotsa kids and teens.

I, too, would go Disney.

I recall a thread recently talking about a large obnoxious family group that made the haven pool very uncomfortable for the other guests.

Thread was pulled of course but is sounded pretty bad up there on that particular cruise. I believe it was a popular week cruise.

Our family (DW, myself, DS-12, DS-9, DD-7) are considering doing it due to the kids sale free. We would be securing a 2-bedroom family haven suite on the Getaway over December of 2014. Obviously we have serious reservations about sailing with a baby in general. However, after reviewing many trip reports, the amenities the haven offers, and NCL in general I am convinced that if there was ever any opportunity to do so it would be now.

My thoughts are as follows: (1) if need be we could dine in our room every night with food from any specialty restaurant or mdr; (2) adults take turns taking the kids to various activities and shows; (3) haven small pool and courtyard would allow less exposure to the ship as a whole and privacy; (4) special vip treatment getting off and on the ship would really come in handy here; (5) explore the ports on our own time as baby allows; (6) bathtub in the villa would come in handy; etc.

Obviously there would be little adult time but if that is what we wanted we would not be bringing the other three kids. I know we will have to bring a lot more, I know the baby will not remember, I know about motion sickness and crying, etc. I also know that a 6 month old is not very active generally. But I just think with the unique amenities the haven offers this would be doable. Also the fact it costs no more to bring baby. Thoughts?

YES! In my opinion, the Haven is the best/easiest way to travel with young children. We sailed in Gem's GV (Haven) last January with our then 6 month old, as well as big brothers ages 5 and 3. We had an incredible experience. Priority boarding, tendering and disembarkation eliminates a lot of the "logistical" stress. The Butler and concierge were beyond accommodating and seemed genuinely happy with having such young children around. They brought them special treats each afternoon, and went out of their way to add little touches to their vacation. We ate in specialty restaurants almost every night with the kids, with the exception of one night that we chose to order into the room from La Cucina. We utilized the Haven pool area for about 45 minutes each sea day, but don't forget that you are not limited to that pool, either. Eiter one or both of you can accompany your children to the larger public pool and kids pool area for a change a pace. We did this several times, and were then very happy to retreat back to our little "Haven" world. The extra space and bath tub were also crucial for us. If you're interested, we brought several products that really helped with the infant. By far, the best purchase was this:

http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-Portable-Activity-Seat-Baby/dp/B00477ND0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393972046&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+infant+jumper

It is basically a fold-up "exersaucer" that you can attach your own toys to. We found it perfect for a 6 month old, so that he could be part of the action. We had it in the living space, out on our private deck area, etc.- it was fabulous. We also opted for just our umbrella-style Maclaren stroller, as opposed to a full sized stroller that would be cumbersome in tight spaces.

Feel free to ask me any other questions that you may have. We will be sailing again this June in Dawn's GV, with all children in tow! Enjoy- we had an amazing, relaxing vacation- no babysitters necessary :)

YES! In my opinion, the Haven is the best/easiest way to travel with young children. We sailed in Gem's GV (Haven) last January with our then 6 month old, as well as big brothers ages 5 and 3. We had an incredible experience. Priority boarding, tendering and disembarkation eliminates a lot of the "logistical" stress. The Butler and concierge were beyond accommodating and seemed genuinely happy with having such young children around. They brought them special treats each afternoon, and went out of their way to add little touches to their vacation. We ate in specialty restaurants almost every night with the kids, with the exception of one night that we chose to order into the room from La Cucina. We utilized the Haven pool area for about 45 minutes each sea day, but don't forget that you are not limited to that pool, either. Eiter one or both of you can accompany your children to the larger public pool and kids pool area for a change a pace. We did this several times, and were then very happy to retreat back to our little "Haven" world. The extra space and bath tub were also crucial for us. If you're interested, we brought several products that really helped with the infant. By far, the best purchase was this:

http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-Portable-Activity-Seat-Baby/dp/B00477ND0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393972046&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+infant+jumper

It is basically a fold-up "exersaucer" that you can attach your own toys to. We found it perfect for a 6 month old, so that he could be part of the action. We had it in the living space, out on our private deck area, etc.- it was fabulous. We also opted for just our umbrella-style Maclaren stroller, as opposed to a full sized stroller that would be cumbersome in tight spaces.

Feel free to ask me any other questions that you may have. We will be sailing again this June in Dawn's GV, with all children in tow! Enjoy- we had an amazing, relaxing vacation- no babysitters necessary :)

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. After talking with DW I might just be in touch.

So you are really asking what it would be like taking a 15 mo old baby, right? I gather the baby is 6 mo old now but will be 15 mo old by sailing time? Or maybe your baby isn't born yet and is due in June?

From the complaints I have read on here (and you can read them as well) - yes, they are that uptight. I agree with the OP. Go on Disney instead.

It's the OP that you are quoting, and they have stated that they have been on Disney. To the OP it sounds like you have a plan, I would go for it if I were you:)

So you are really asking what it would be like taking a 15 mo old baby, right? I gather the baby is 6 mo old now but will be 15 mo old by sailing time? Or maybe your baby isn't born yet and is due in June?

No the baby is due May 17th and will be closer to 7 months actually at the time of sailing.

[Pthere is no room in the haven pools to toss a football!! And the one Getaway Haven pool without those built in loungers is smaller than the Jewel class pools.

I would be more concerned with the older kids than with the baby- we have travels on cruises with ours since the older two were infants and never a problem in any suite. We were blessed with easy travelers. Will your older ones do kids club activities?

I think that it sounds like a great idea- the Haven is the only way to get my DH on NCL

The second bedroom is so nice and dark for a pack and play nap. I would do this in a heartbeat!!

Have a great trip. Sounds like you are getting an awesome deal.

Nora

I am so jealous of you !! We were in 14000 on Dawn in Jan 2013 and loved it!! My nephew has 3 young children and I kept thinking how perfect it would be for them. We hope to be able to bring them all one day. There is no haven on the Dawn but that whole outdoor area of the GV is it's own haven. Enjoy !!!

To OP....I would absolutely go for it. You seem to have covered all your bases. It sounds like the perfect trip for your family and as other posters have stated, the crew on NCL all seem to love babies. We will be on the getaway in a haven spa suite in May. It is our first time with a haven. So excited.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forums mobile app

I agree with Legally ( hi by the way) we have sailed the a few times in suites and the last time on the BA with my 4 yr old who has autism so it is like traveling with a toddler. The haven was fine we brought a blow up pool that we filled and dumped in the shower. The butler was very helpful when my son was not up to going in public and we will do this often.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought the promotion for kids sailing free does not apply to suites and up

I dont know where i read that

But if it is not true can someone let me know

My usual sailing crew is going to be 2 less since it is too pricey for the kids to come

Cheers!!

I don't know about the haven pool size on your ship but on the jewel( the one we will be on) it is tiny. We have already spoke to our kids about the size and told them this pool is for relaxing not swimming, splashing around, jumping in. You know normal kid pool activities, lol. So they know a head of time behavior expectations, if we choose to swim there. Of course It is quite possible that I am over thinking it and being too strict with my kids and it's really not a big deal.

Actually I applaud your over thinking. You sound like a thoughtful parent. I would love to share the haven with your gang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just booked for this fall and our baby will be 10 months by then. We are sailing in a balcony cabin, but I would love to stay in The Haven next time :) we also got the ultimate dining package. We are mostly gonna play it by ear, but the only problem I see is that dinner service always takes forever. Maybe they step it up if u have a baby?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Though I might prefer going to Disney WORLD - I also think the cruse could work. The 2 BR suite is awesome, and the haven just adds some additional space. I could see times that the baby just needs walking, etc and the courtyard would be great.

The kids will love their little bedroom.

Go. Enjoy.

I thought the promotion for kids sailing free does not apply to suites and up

I dont know where i read that

But if it is not true can someone let me know

My usual sailing crew is going to be 2 less since it is too pricey for the kids to come

Cheers!!

That is not true. It does indeed apply to suites, just not to all sailings. If you search NCL, you will see.

I have to admit, reading these posts has me confused. We have never had the chance to experience the Haven, because the Dawn and the Spirit do not have one. My husband and I have been thinking about trying the Getaway and looking at an Owner's Suite in the Haven. the NCL site claims that it is "tranquil". Is this not correct? I'm reading about small children and football throwing. If in essence the pool area is going to be like the main pool, I will save my money and book a regular suite outside of the haven.

Do I have the wrong idea? We are really looking for a relaxing experience, which I thought the Haven was supposed to be. If not, can anyone suggest another line that might have more of an adults only area?

Edited by KateQ22003

Kate- there are family suites and rooms that accommodate 4 or more pax so children staying in those rooms are welcomed in the haven area. I am more concerned with haven children inviting non- haven children in there or haven families inviting other family members that are not in the haven. Making the space more crowed and chaotic. I hope the crew has a way to prevent this and actually enforces it. My girls are 12,16 and don't "play" in a pool( except our own). They are more about trying to look cool, mature and sophisticated, lol. But they had it in their head the pool was resort size. We felt the need to explain it to them and it's purpose so they didn't have some grand illusion when we arrived. The one on the jewel looks to be the size of a swimmer's current pool. So they will have to try look cool, mature and sophisticated on a lounger in the haven,lol. I understand what you are looking for and will be curious to see what lines people recommend, as one day we too will be sailing without kids and will want that type of experience.

I have to admit, reading these posts has me confused. We have never had the chance to experience the Haven, because the Dawn and the Spirit do not have one. My husband and I have been thinking about trying the Getaway and looking at an Owner's Suite in the Haven. the NCL site claims that it is "tranquil". Is this not correct? I'm reading about small children and football throwing. If in essence the pool area is going to be like the main pool, I will save my money and book a regular suite outside of the haven.

Do I have the wrong idea? We are really looking for a relaxing experience, which I thought the Haven was supposed to be. If not, can anyone suggest another line that might have more of an adults only area?

Overall, I think it is probably not what you're looking for, as it is not an adults-only area. I have to say though, throwing a football is a very different concept than the mere existence of small children. I would absolutely agree that throwing a football in the Haven is inappropriate. In fact, I think throwing a football would be inappropriate in the main pool as well, as it is so crowded. Conversely, I routinely bring my small children to the Haven for short periods each day. They are well behaved, and if they weren't, we would leave. On our sailing, the Haven was rather tranquil, and even the older adults there seemed to genuinely enjoying seeing my children for a period each day. I should also mention though, that some sailings have had vastly different experiences, with the Haven being somewhat "overrun" by unsupervised children. That is quite a different story, and if you are looking for a debate on that issue, you can do a simple search on Haven and children, and you will see a wealth of strong opinions.

Since you are thinking of Getaway, you may want to consider Vibe Beach Club, which is apparently a sophisticated, adults only pool area at the top of the ship. There is an extra cost associated with it, but it is far less than splurging for the Haven. What you do find typically in the Haven, is a much less crowded atmosphere, and a more "upscale" clientele, IMO, even if some of that clientele are (GASP!) small children.

Some other lines do also have adult-only pool areas on many ships (Royal Caribbean comes to mind), but not necessarily in the "ship within a ship" format that the Haven is built upon. Also, some of the more exclusive, small lines (Seabourn, etc.) are certain to have a more "mature" population and tranquil environment.

There are so many options, that I'm sure you will find what you're looking for, with a little research. Happy sailing!

You are correct, here is what NCL uses to sell the Haven:

"As a guest of The Haven, you'll have exclusive access to the Courtyard. This private enclave at the top of the ship has quiet places to dine, drink and relax, and an expertly trained staff to attend to your every need. Take a swim in a private pool, work out in a private fitness area and soak your tired muscles in a private hot tub. Order from a special Courtyard menu and spend your tranquil days at sea enjoying the luxury of complete privacy and personal service."

As you can see from some of the earlier posts, families have a different idea of what quiet and tranquil means.

Here is our experience on our last Haven cruise (December 13). It was very quiet and tranquil for about one day. Then the kids arrived. The pool is about 15 ft long and about 6-8 ft wide. Cannonballs, yelling and horseplay began. Haven Butler told the complaining guests he could do nothing. The HD and Concierge intervened and the parents were directed to the main pool so their kids could freely play. Quiet returned.

Your experience may vary.

Kate- there are family suites and rooms that accommodate 4 or more pax so children staying in those rooms are welcomed in the haven area. I am more concerned with haven children inviting non- haven children in there or haven families inviting other family members that are not in the haven. Making the space more crowed and chaotic. I hope the crew has a way to prevent this and actually enforces it. My girls are 12,16 and don't "play" in a pool( except our own). They are more about trying to look cool, mature and sophisticated, lol. But they had it in their head the pool was resort size. We felt the need to explain it to them and it's purpose so they didn't have some grand illusion when we arrived. The one on the jewel looks to be the size of a swimmer's current pool. So they will have to try look cool, mature and sophisticated on a lounger in the haven,lol. I understand what you are looking for and will be curious to see what lines people recommend, as one day we too will be sailing without kids and will want that type of experience.

It is exactly that on the Jewel, it is a swimmers current pool. No "real" swimming, one person at a time. Swim against the current.

I was seriously looking at a Haven suite on Getaway .... wanting to take advantage of the current offers. However, it's still a little pricey. No way would I pay that amount of money to be bopped on the head with a football.:(

The Haven is not adult only and kids are more than welcome. It really annoys me on these boards when I hear all the kid bashing as more than not, it is the adults that cause more of a problem.

The Haven is a tranquil area as they do not have any music blasting, your not rushing to grab a lounger or looking forever for a seat. They have comfortable chairs to read a book or to grab a bite to eat. It is a lovely place to hang out to get away from the hustle and bustle of the ship.

More than half of the rooms in the haven are 2 bedroom suites so there are most likely going to be children there. As long as they are being courteous, which they should be every day anyway, there won't be a problem. There is no need to whisper and tip toe around and not have fun while you are there. It's all about respect, children respecting adults and the other way around as well.

We were in the Breakaway Haven last year with my 6 year old and spent a lot of time in the Haven. She has sensory issues and the Haven is great for her, no loud noises and music. She is the most polite child you will ever meet, to a fault sometimes and I can not tell you how many times adults we never saw before would visibly and loudly sigh went we walked into the Haven. Rude. She would walk past some of the adults and say Hi...they would ignore and not answer. So I'd rather have a few well behaved children in the haven than these adults who think they "own" the ship.

We'll be in the Gem Haven in a few months and we fully plan on enjoying the Haven experience. Go and enjoy yourself. The Haven is really amazing.

You are correct, here is what NCL uses to sell the Haven:

"As a guest of The Haven, you'll have exclusive access to the Courtyard. This private enclave at the top of the ship has quiet places to dine, drink and relax, and an expertly trained staff to attend to your every need. Take a swim in a private pool, work out in a private fitness area and soak your tired muscles in a private hot tub. Order from a special Courtyard menu and spend your tranquil days at sea enjoying the luxury of complete privacy and personal service."

As you can see from some of the earlier posts, families have a different idea of what quiet and tranquil means.

Here is our experience on our last Haven cruise (December 13). It was very quiet and tranquil for about one day. Then the kids arrived. The pool is about 15 ft long and about 6-8 ft wide. Cannonballs, yelling and horseplay began. Haven Butler told the complaining guests he could do nothing. The HD and Concierge intervened and the parents were directed to the main pool so their kids could freely play. Quiet returned.

Your experience may vary.

Wow. I am so glad I asked the question here instead of relying on NCL's description of a tranquil spot. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I want a different experience than what it sounds like I will get. Maybe I need to re-think my plans and look at different lines!

Thank you everyone for the information.

The Haven is not adult only and kids are more than welcome. It really annoys me on these boards when I hear all the kid bashing as more than not, it is the adults that cause more of a problem.

The Haven is a tranquil area as they do not have any music blasting, your not rushing to grab a lounger or looking forever for a seat. They have comfortable chairs to read a book or to grab a bite to eat. It is a lovely place to hang out to get away from the hustle and bustle of the ship.

More than half of the rooms in the haven are 2 bedroom suites so there are most likely going to be children there. As long as they are being courteous, which they should be every day anyway, there won't be a problem. There is no need to whisper and tip toe around and not have fun while you are there. It's all about respect, children respecting adults and the other way around as well.

We were in the Breakaway Haven last year with my 6 year old and spent a lot of time in the Haven. She has sensory issues and the Haven is great for her, no loud noises and music. She is the most polite child you will ever meet, to a fault sometimes and I can not tell you how many times adults we never saw before would visibly and loudly sigh went we walked into the Haven. Rude. She would walk past some of the adults and say Hi...they would ignore and not answer. So I'd rather have a few well behaved children in the haven than these adults who think they "own" the ship.

We'll be in the Gem Haven in a few months and we fully plan on enjoying the Haven experience. Go and enjoy yourself. The Haven is really amazing.

I don't see it as kid bashing; I see it as people being honest about what they want out of a vacation. Some of us prefer to vacation in a more adult-focused environment. It doesn't make us evil; we are just looking for something different. Just like families look for cruises that have fun activities for the kids, those of us who travel without our kids want to make sure we are getting the experience that we want. It doesn't make one right and one wrong; just different.