Ketchikan Totems

Joe & Kim

Are there two totem area's in Ketchikan ? The totem heritage center and totem bight park? We are going on another tour for five hours. Do we have enough time to see one of totem places. Does anyone know how long they take to get to on the bus? Any details about how to see some poles would be great!

Kim

You didn't indicate how long you're in port, so hard to know if you have time for either totem park ????

i've only been to Totem Bight. Fascinating! and a beautiful waterfront location, but it's about 10-15 miles out of town. It's accessible by town bus; check the schedule to see if it works for you.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/native-american-totem-poles-4.html

If you only have an hour to spare, the Heritage Center might be your only option. According to their web site, it's a 15 minute walk from the docks.

http://www.city.ketchikan.ak.us/departments/museums/VisitorInformationTHC.html

At Creek Street there is a Funicular that takes you up to the Westmark Hotel.

I think travelbug is referring to the Cape Fox Lodge and its funicular. While there are several totems on the property it is an easy downhill walk to the Totem Heritage Center. And the Heritage Center is a nice activity if Ketchikan is experiencing any "liquid sunshine."

I think travelbug is referring to the Cape Fox Lodge and its funicular. While there are several totems on the property it is an easy downhill walk to the Totem Heritage Center. And the Heritage Center is a nice activity if Ketchikan is experiencing any "liquid sunshine."

Oops, my bad.

we are there from 10 to 6 .Our excursion is only 3.5 hours long ( I thought it was longer) So I think we have time to take the bus to the bight park

You probably already know this, but just in case others are reading, who don't know it -- "all aboard" time is usually 1/2 hour before scheduled sailing time.

We looked at the time of our excursion its 130 to 5 .It is so nice that you can reserve your excursions with princess and know the times so you can plan your day .So we are back to seeing the totems in town. Maybe next time we would have time to go to the park. Thank you for all the great help to us first time Alaska cruisers.

If you decide to go to the Totem Heritage Center, when you leave, walk over to Deermount Street, and go downhill. Turn right at Stedman and walk back toward the dock. You'll walk by totems in several front yards of private homes -- on both Deermount and Stedman IIRC. Pretty cool IMHO.

At Creek Street there is a Funicular that takes you up to the Westmark Hotel.

Cost is $2.00, walk through the hotel and there are several nice totems there.

We planned to do this--but, the funicular was not running the day we were there. [it was not caused by the weather. It was a sunny and warm day.]

If you decide to go to the Totem Heritage Center, when you leave, walk over to Deermount Street, and go downhill. Turn right at Stedman and walk back toward the dock. You'll walk by totems in several front yards of private homes -- on both Deermount and Stedman IIRC. Pretty cool IMHO.

From the Totem Heritage Museum, walk though the city park, then down Deermount. :) Used to be a resident who had a donkey, who I used to chat with. :) A nice look at some residential life.

Are there two totem area's in Ketchikan ? The totem heritage center and totem bight park? We are going on another tour for five hours. Do we have enough time to see one of totem places. Does anyone know how long they take to get to on the bus? Any details about how to see some poles would be great!

Kim

there is also Saxman Village, closer to get to via city bus. For Totem Bight, you need to allow 3 hours. There are totems all over Ketchikan, starting right on the dock a mighty eagle. :) Creek St has a couple of nice totems, The Discovery Center has some exhibits. The Fox lodge totems are especially nice. :) (carved by Nathan Jackson)

Be aware that the Totem Heritage Museum is based on preservation. These aren't those "pretty" totems you see around loaded with color. :)

From the Totem Heritage Museum, walk though the city park, then down Deermount. :) Used to be a resident who had a donkey, who I used to chat with. :) A nice look at some residential life.

The last time I was there (in 2010), there were still donkeys there. I so hope to see them again.... are you saying they are gone now? :eek: I know lots can change.

PS welcome back, good to "see" you again!

Edited by CowPrincess

The last time I was there (in 2010), there were still donkeys there. I so hope to see them again.... are you saying they are gone now? :eek: I know lots can change.

PS welcome back, good to "see" you again!

I did not see them 8/12, but did "run" by the house, in the rain with my nephews. The ground did not look like animals had been "using' it, like prior. But I could have just missed them. :)

I've been cruising like crazy. Just off the Star Princess, and getting on B2B's Sunday, Conquest, then Glory. Was on the Dream and Splendor in January. :)

Of course looking forward to Alaska, again this year.

I did not see them 8/12, but did "run" by the house, in the rain with my nephews. The ground did not look like animals had been "using' it, like prior. But I could have just missed them. :)

I've been cruising like crazy. Just off the Star Princess, and getting on B2B's Sunday, Conquest, then Glory. Was on the Dream and Splendor in January. :)

Of course looking forward to Alaska, again this year.

Wow, good for you. Enjoy those cruises! I'm going back this year to Alaska. Been too long! Maybe some day our paths will cross :) I'll definitely be checking about the donkeys.

Wow, good for you. Enjoy those cruises! I'm going back this year to Alaska. Been too long! Maybe some day our paths will cross :) I'll definitely be checking about the donkeys.

What are your Alaska plans this year? This year, I'll be spending a lot of time there. Major mainland trip of about 3 weeks, with my nephew- who has only done Alaska cruises. I'm including Prudhoe Bay (since his mother let him loose, I'm taking ADVANTAGE :) ) Will be adding a few cruises, with one currently booked. I plan on taking advantage of some price dump deals.

What are your Alaska plans this year? This year, I'll be spending a lot of time there. Major mainland trip of about 3 weeks, with my nephew- who has only done Alaska cruises. I'm including Prudhoe Bay (since his mother let him loose, I'm taking ADVANTAGE :) ) Will be adding a few cruises, with one currently booked. I plan on taking advantage of some price dump deals.

I'm doing only the Zaandam 7-day RT Vancouver May 23. Wanted to do the 14-day Amsterdam but it remains unaffordable. Sigh.... have to wait until we sell our primary residence before I spend that kind of money :D Happily, I got a screamingly good price on the Zaandam -- so good it made the decision for me about when and what cruise line. Can't wait for last-minute, I am self-employed and need someone who can sub in to take over my business, and that always requires a few months' advance notice.

The cruise I've booked has had some pretty good prices intermittently, on a variety of interior and exterior cabins. IMHO might be worth watching it to see if they have a big clearance sale!

The cruise I'm on goes to Tracy Arm, which I really enjoy. IF we get there. I'm sure I'll enjoy Endicott if that's where we end up.

Good on you for maximizing your nephew :D Enjoy that 3-week land trip. I'll be watching the Brooks Falls bear cam, no land trip for me YET!

I'll be watching the Brooks Falls bear cam, no land trip for me YET!
Thanks for the reminder.

I had not looked at it in quite a while, but just took a peek and there are a couple of them out there right now. I was not expecting to see them in March.

Brooks Falls - Brown Bear webcam

It looks warmer up there than the weather we have been having down in the lower 48.

The inconsistent thing is that I can click on the link and see the bears and scenery just fine, but then trying it again a few minutes later I get nothing but a black screen.

P.S. I just left the black screen open in its own tab while I went and did something else for a while, and when I cam back and clicked on that tab again later, the bears were showing there again. So maybe it is just a matter of patience if the black screen is displayed instead of the webcam picture.

Edited by fleckle

Guess I got sidetracked there with the Brooks Falls webcam.

But getting back to Ketchikan, what I had originally intended to say was that the least expensive Ketchikan "excursion" we took was riding the public bus out to visit Totem Bight and Potlatch Park.

That big garage full of antique cars provided a nice bonus in addition to the totem poles at Potlatch Park.

Well, that is unless I count the free walking tours of the town.

The Ketchikan Walking Tour Map – Experience Ketchikan by foot

has the Downtown Walking Tour

and West End Walking Tour

or you can pick up the walking tour brochures at the tourist info booth on the pier when you get to Ketchikan.

Thanks for the map .I hope to hit as many of the 64 attractions as I can by 1:00.Seeing some of totems in peoples yards sounds good to. I want to get out and move. I feel Alaska is moving from one Boat to another boat.

Kim