Explorer wi-fi internet question

Hello...I hate to ask a stupid question, but here I go.

We will be on the Explorer at the end of the month and I am seriously considering purchasing an IPad Air to bring on the cruise.

if I do bring it with me, and, purchase the ships internet package, will I be able to get on-line, and/or check my emails from my cabin and, on the outside promenade deck of the ship? Or, will I only be able to get on-line from the computer room where they have all of the desktop computers?

Is it worth bringing an Ipad or laptop, or, is the service not good enough, and it's more of a pain than anything else.

Thanks for your time and help.

Hello...I hate to ask a stupid question, but here I go.

We will be on the Explorer at the end of the month and I am seriously considering purchasing an IPad Air to bring on the cruise.

if I do bring it with me, and, purchase the ships internet package, will I be able to get on-line, and/or check my emails from my cabin and, on the outside promenade deck of the ship? Or, will I only be able to get on-line from the computer room where they have all of the desktop computers?

Is it worth bringing an Ipad or laptop, or, is the service not good enough, and it's more of a pain than anything else.

Thanks for your time and help.

There are around a half-dozen WiFi hotspots around the ship, but the outside promenade is not one of them, nor are any of the staterooms.

Explorer still charges by the minute, starting at $0.85 / minute.

Thanks Bob...I thought someone else awhile back mentioned that you could purchase one of three different internet packages on the ship. So many hours in a package for a certain price.

Maybe I misunderstood them. Well, thanks for the help.

Thanks Bob...I thought someone else awhile back mentioned that you could purchase one of three different internet packages on the ship. So many hours in a package for a certain price.

Maybe I misunderstood them. Well, thanks for the help.

Yes, there are packages of minutes you can buy that reduce the cost per minute, but I don't believe Explorer has gone to unlimited plans as yet.

Thanks again...Good to know there are a couple of options to explore once we get on board. Too bad no internet or wi-fi outside or at least in our rooms. Oh well.

I would quote you the prices, but they seem to be a moving target these days.

If you are driving to Bayonne - and I am 99.999% sure that you are, just bring it along. It can't hurt. And you can save time online by downloading all of your email, composing replies offline, and then going back online just to send.

It depends on where your rooms are. When you get there see what access points you can pick up. We're usually on the aft, so now wifi there, but, I have picked it up as I get closer to the center.

The Cafe Promenade, Library, and Internet area are set up for wireless; those are the three I remember. I heard at least one person say they could use it from their stateroom, but they were in a Promenade View one right near the Cafe.

Anyone have resent prices for the internet packages on the Explorer, I am going March 29th and would like a heads up....I am taking my Macbook pro and iPad. Thanks

Just get a second (and maybe a third) mortgage on your house and you should be fine. It is SLOW to the point that you will use multiple minutes to do what you would normally do in 30 seconds at home. I definitely agree with the previous poster who stated that you should do your work offline and then just let the device sync up once a day or so (you may also want to try this late at night or very early in the morning when not too many others are using the service).

Good Luck!

Steve