Viking Attire

abs711

"I've seen it on numerous occasions where the husband should be in charge of what the wife puts in the suitcase" lol

If I were in charge of packing for my wife, which would never happen, my credit cards would be maxed out with charges for new clothes as soon as we got to our destination.

Oh would you pass this belief onto DH .....,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for reading, and if you are interested, I would be delighted to share my packing list. My husband and I were able to get everything needed for our cruise in a 21" rolling carry-on bag each. A large purse for me and a backpack for him completed our luggage. We looked neat and fashionable all week, too, with nary a pair of jeans in sight.

I would love to see your packing list. We travel light but never light enough. We're on the Viking Grand European (15 days) in August. Thanks

Me too!

Cash Flow, I will happily e-mail you my packing list next week :). If anyone else would like to see it, I am happy to share. Just include your e-mail address in your response.

I have found the reactions to my post very interesting albeit slightly disturbing, and I am truly sorry that some of you interpreted my intentions incorrectly.

The bottom line is really this - Why must Americans always be seen as "the lowest common denominator"? Decency and respect in dress is really not so hard, and it does leave a lasting and positive impression with very little effort.

Happy Weekend Everyone!

I'd like your list please. Bunnygene@aol.com.

I'd like to see it too!

With all of this talk about packing lists, I thought I'd share mine...

I wrote this several years ago and posted it on Cruise Critic...and, over the years, I've seen it plagiarized (often word for word, so I know it's mine) in many places, usually unattributed!

Anyway, it is really for a typical traditional 7 night cruise--not a River Cruise...

Probably, also, since it's several years old, it may need some additions--like new high tech stuff. But, heck, it always seems to delight some folks, so, here goes:

standard packing list

For a seven night cruise:

Men: One small carry-on size rolling bag.

7 pairs undershorts

5 pairs socks (Don't need them for at-sea days)

4 T-Shirts (we'll pick up a few more as souvenirs along the way)

1 pair shorts (They're good for at least a week)...

1 pair long pants (only because they make you wear them in the dining room)

1 pair shoes

1 Swim suit

NO Suit or Tuxedo (Rent it on the ship so you don't have to schlep it all the way there and back)

Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Razor

Camera

Women: One large suitcase for Casual clothes

One Large Suitcase for Formal clothes

One large duffel bag for shoes

One suitcase for toiletries, cosmetics, creams, shampoo/conditioners, lotions, etc.

One suitcase for purses, accessories, grooming equipment, travel irons, steamers, etc.

One carry-on with hairbrushes, vitamins, pain relievers and other prescriptions, cosmetics that they forgot to put in the suitcase, last minute items needed past packing of other suitcases.

One purse the size of a suitcase filled with all the usual junk: lipstick, chewing gum, mints, keys that she can't even remember what they go to and don't need on the cruise anyway, photos of the kids, credit cards for every department store and shop known to man, even ones no longer in business, gym membership card she never uses, hair pins, loose change, old candy wrappers, mints from the restaurant she ate at a month and a half ago, that bag of peanuts from the flight in on Southwest...and so on ad infinitum...

Specifics:

14 panties (one pair each day plus one for evening)

20 hose or pantyhose (accounts for 7 evenings as at least half or more will run while putting them on)

7 casual skirts and/or Bermuda shorts (something that covers the knees and most of the imagined cellulite)

7 casual blouses or tops...actually, make that 14 as most "outfits" require a top covered by a blouse hanging over it)

[NOTE: One can never be seen wearing the SAME outfit TWICE!!]

7 pairs of "casual" shoes...as each "outfit" must be particularly coordinated with the precisely perfect pair of shoes

5 dressier skirts and/or pairs of slightly dressy slacks for casual evenings

4 formal gowns (Yes, I know that there are only two formal nights, but one won't look exactly right and she'll need to put it back and wear something else...and a second won't fit right anymore by the end of the cruise)

5 more pair of slightly dressy shoes...and...

4 pairs of "formal" shoes (again, each "outfit" must be coordinated with the proper shoes)

[NOTE: All formal gowns and formal shoes MUST be purchased special for the cruise. God forbid someone on the cruise MAY have been at your niece Jessica's wedding in June and has already seen you in that gown!!]

Assorted (meaning at least 10 of each) belts, scarves, etc. A woman needs to "accessorize"...

14 purses (again, must match the "outfit")

At least 70 assorted pieces of Jewelry (necklaces, bracelets, earrings, pins, rings) of various types from diamonds down to cheap costume jewelry (again, the accessories must complement the particular outfit being worn)

6 swimsuits, though she'll never actually make it up to the pool deck...besides, "I can't be seen in public in a swimsuit"

6 "cover-ups"...just in case she braves wearing a swimsuit...

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Deodorant

Eye Shadow

Eyeliner

Blush

Foundation

Lipstick

Lip Gloss

Eyebrow pencil

Nail polish

(At least 4 or 5 shades of each variety of make-up)

Make-up remover

Moisturizer

Face cream

Cold Cream

Anti-wrinkle cream

Body lotion

Cotton Balls

Q-Tips

Razor

Shaving Cream

Tweezers

Hairbrush (at least three varieties)

Suntan lotion

Sunscreen

"Feminine Products" (though most often the item forgotten or not packed enough...just so YOU will have to go running around the streets of Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas looking for drug stores and trying to explain this to a clerk who only speaks Spanish)

Hairdryer (even though they supply them on the ship--it's a reflex motion...but the excuse is "I don't like theirs")

Curling iron

Iron (even though the ship says they're forbidden..."I NEED it")

Steamer

Sewing Kit (like she's going to actually sew)

Eyeglasses

Sunglasses

Contact Lenses

Contact Lens solution

Advil

Midol

Dramamine

Pepto Bismol

Tums

Rolaids

Campo-Phenique

Pepcid

Metamucil

Any other possible medication for any other real or imagined malady which MAY arise during the course of the cruise--which they obviously don't sell anywhere but here at home...

Hair dye (just in case the roots start showing during the cruise)

And, this is just off the top of my head...I KNOW I'm leaving off lots of stuff...

It's a good thing airlines allow you two fifty pound each pieces of luggage plus a carry on each... ...(Or they used to...maybe now with a small fee!)

All of YOUR stuff can go in your carry-on, while hers MAY neatly fit into the four allowed pieces of luggage plus her carry-on...

Even with the extensive packing, know that there are simply things not accounted for which now MUST be acquired in port...Besides, some of these ports are just great "shopping towns" ...After all, how important are a bunch of old churches and museums when each port has so many nice stores?