Viking Attire

abs711

This reply might make me seem "stuffy" or priggish but that is not my intention at all. As a young at heart and VERY active 64 year old, no one would ever consider me even remotely stuffy! Instead, I am trying to help the average Viking traveler better fit with their new surroundings by dressing with the respect that European and Asian destinations and their people absolutely deserve.

Why Americans feel that they can dress in such a casual manner when out in public has always bewildered really me. I lived in Europe for 6 years n the 1970's and have vacationed there untold times since then, including one Viking cruise and a booking on another to come in October. What I have found is that people in other parts of the world, and especially those in the Viking age groups, pride themselves on a neat and polished appearance. That does not include jeans at dinner or really at any time except the most casual. They are only commonly worn by teens and University students. Men wear nice pants (no shorts except at the beach), collared or polo shirts and sweaters. Women wear nice skirts, slacks (no capris or shorts except at the beach), blouses, sweaters and scarves as accessories. Often a blazer is casually tossed on as a jacket. Workout wear is for the gym or jogging ONLY.

In addition, jeans are the heaviest pants there are, and in these days of careful weighing of luggage and easily charged overage fees, why take heavy pants when Dockers type slacks are so much lighter and far more suitable? Jeans don't keep anyone warm when it is cold or cool when it is hot, either.

My final note concerns something that happened on my Viking cruise last year. Please, please, please don't come to the coffee/tea station in the morning or at any time without a shirt and wearing pants (in his case jeans) drooping below the belly. A man on our cruise in May did that EVERY morning, and it was so incredibly offensive. A Viking ship is not a place to wander about shirtless, unless you have abs like Matthew McConaghey!!

It is really all a matter of respect for yourselves and for your fellow man/woman. Dress with pride and respect, and you will be treated the same.

Thanks for reading, and if you are interested, I would be delighted to share my packing list. My husband and I were able to get everything needed for our cruise in a 21" rolling carry-on bag each. A large purse for me and a backpack for him completed our luggage. We looked neat and fashionable all week, too, with nary a pair of jeans in sight.

Hey Philadelphia,PA,

I would love a copy of your packing list! List it here or email me directly @

flo@chimainc.com

Thanks,

Reading, PA

Saw this on another board . . . seems appropriate. I'll be certain to wear my Deerstalker and smoke my Calabash next time I cruise a British line :rolleyes:

So it was "International Day" at my mom's school. The sixth graders were all paired up and given a country to do a presentation on. The kids who did Austria dressed up as the Von Trapp children. The kids who did the UK dressed up as Sherlock Holmes and Dr.Watson. It was all cute until the kids who did Luxembourg came in the room dressed as old Country and Western stars with cowboy boots, cowboy hats, and bolo ties. They gave their presentation on the basic facts of the country. A teacher then asked about their costumes. They said that they read online that the people of Luxembourg dress in standard "Western attire"... The teacher tried hard not laugh when she said that referred to the Western Hemisphere... not US.

Cash Flow, I will happily e-mail you my packing list next week :). If anyone else would like to see it, I am happy to share. Just include your e-mail address in your response.

I have found the reactions to my post very interesting albeit slightly disturbing, and I am truly sorry that some of you interpreted my intentions incorrectly.

The bottom line is really this - Why must Americans always be seen as "the lowest common denominator"? Decency and respect in dress is really not so hard, and it does leave a lasting and positive impression with very little effort.

Happy Weekend Everyone!

I quite like the fact that there is a dress code for cruising at least you then have a starting point and no one suggests that we wear national costume! Though that would be quite interesting. It sounds like nobody wants sloppy or untidy. Jeans started off as work wear but they in the right circumstances can be realy high end, although any serious walker or trekker will tell you they can cause real problems if worn for any length of time if it's hot or wet especially. I for one am glad we are not asked to wear high fashion tottering along in killer heels for instance on cobbles or even around the ship, no way. What we wear should not be a competition but being relaxed about it is a must as we are on holiday. Just one last thought the French have the chic the Italians the flair that leaves us with the smart casual which should hopefully be a happy medium.

What we wear should not be a competition but being relaxed about it is a must as we are on holiday.

I completely agree.

Fortunately different lines have different dress codes so we can all pick a line that suits our preferences.

When on holiday I will always adhere to the code of the line I've selected, but I am never going to dress to suit what others think the code should be, instead of what it actually is :)

We were in Paris last July. I assure you very few people were wearing Dockers. Jeans are simply slacks made of denim material. In the year 2014 you can dress them up or dress them down. Jmo.

I think you have something here. Some live in the past but some of us live in the present. I found Europe as casual as the US. No distinction between them.

Just read another jeans post on here and wanted to share my opinion for what its worth..First, I'm an old lady and yes I do wear jeans, nice-hopefully stylish- ones that fit well. Personally I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of jeans anywhere! Goodness knows they cost enough! A nice pair of jeans dressed up with a pretty top, some jewelry or a scarf, maybe a jacket or sweater, some dressy pumps, heels or flats, a woman can look classy and definitely be considered "smart casual"! Same goes for a man if he wears a nice shirt and maybe a nice jacket. Don't see why this wouldn't work in any country or any cruise ship if done appropriately based on local customs or ship required attire. I do not feel the same way about the fashionable jeans worn by some which are ragged, full of holes, and tight as a rubber band. Not many ways to dress that up. So that's my feeling about jeans. Maybe it will help some soul make a decision about whether or not to wear them. Happy cruising everyone!

We were in Paris last July. I assure you very few people were wearing Dockers. Jeans are simply slacks made of denim material. In the year 2014 you can dress them up or dress them down. Jmo.

You got it right . Open any fashion magazine or go to any, even high end, store and more than half the featured outfits are jeans with a sharp or pretty top or sweater or jacket. This is not my opinion, it just is 2014.

Just read another jeans post on here and wanted to share my opinion for what its worth..First, I'm an old lady and yes I do wear jeans, nice-hopefully stylish- ones that fit well. Personally I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of jeans anywhere! Goodness knows they cost enough! A nice pair of jeans dressed up with a pretty top, some jewelry or a scarf, maybe a jacket or sweater, some dressy pumps, heels or flats, a woman can look classy and definitely be considered "smart casual"! Same goes for a man if he wears a nice shirt and maybe a nice jacket. Don't see why this wouldn't work in any country or any cruise ship if done appropriately based on local customs or ship required attire. I do not feel the same way about the fashionable jeans worn by some which are ragged, full of holes, and tight as a rubber band. Not many ways to dress that up. So that's my feeling about jeans. Maybe it will help some soul make a decision about whether or not to wear them. Happy cruising everyone!

:) I am an old lady too and I think you said this very well!

Let me rephrase what Robinlynn just said:

There is a great difference in how a slim younger lady in a pair of stylish designer jeans is viewed versus a 55+ year old, 25+ pound overweight male in a pair of Wranglers. It is what iit is.

Some people will under dress for every occasion. Some passengers will wear cargo shorts, tee shirts, and flip flops the entire cruise. Some choose to show up in sweatpants.

I have been on three prior Viking cruises. The official code is casual, as pointed out above. Most don't care to push the situation when those, primarily American, choose to dress down. Some relish in pushing casual, particularily at dinner, down a level or two.

Most of the gentlemen wear slacks and a collared shirt for dinner, very rarely a jacket. Some treat going to dinner, on ship, like going to a Denny's. You get to choose which of those groups you choose to be in. Enjoy the cruise.

I bet you would all object to the attire I saw a man wearing in a very nice hotel in Rome last fall: an Arkansas razorback baseball hat and blue denim overalls...flannel shirt too, I recall. He was dressed this way every day....must be a friend of the shirtless fellow.

We are departing on The Chareaux, Wines & Rivers cruise on April 12. We have received our Booklet containing itinerary and pertinent information. under the heading DRESS CODE I quote the following from the Viking Booklet:

"Dress aboard and ashore is casual: we suggest you dress comfortably and bring sturdy walking shoes for sightseeing excursions. Dinner attire is "Evening Casual", and the Captain's Dinner is dressy but not formal".

I read this to mean nice shirts, sweater and slacks at the evening meals. No jeans, flannel shirts and base ball hats.

I bet you would all object to the attire I saw a man wearing in a very nice hotel in Rome last fall: an Arkansas razorback baseball hat and blue denim overalls...flannel shirt too, I recall. He was dressed this way every day....must be a friend of the shirtless fellow.

One of the Walton kinfolk?

Much like the blue jeans on the more senior guests versus the 20 something, would someone please tell all the 35-40+ year old women that Spandex is not Evening Casual! For most it shouldn't be part of the wardrobe!! :eek::eek:

Go Pack;;

We are doing a Rhone River cruise in the fall. Our info plainly says the same thing: Evening Casual for dinner.

I agree with your description of what properly constitutes Evening Casual. However, as you can tell from my of the replies here, there are those that firmly choose to stay with denim and blue jeans regardless of what the brochure says. You will find on your cruise that some (typically the Ugly American) even refuse to rise to that high of a standard! :mad:

Denim is a fabric, not a style. There are jeans and then there are denim pants or slacks. I describe a person to be an Ugly American, not by what they are wearing, but by their arrogant behavior. If someone has a different definition of Evening Casual than I have, it does not bother me (unless their clothes are too sparse and they have body parts hanging, bulging or peeking out).

Go Pack;;

I agree with your description of what properly constitutes Evening Casual. However, as you can tell from my of the replies here, there are those that firmly choose to stay with denim and blue jeans regardless of what the brochure says. You will find on your cruise that some (typically the Ugly American) even refuse to rise to that high of a standard! :mad:

WOW. That's all I have to say. WOW.

Julie;

When the ship tells you that the appropriate attire is Evening casual and one shows up in blue jeans or caro shorts and a T, that does constitute arrogant behavior in my definition. If you don't like the ship rules, find another cruise line that meets your needs. The Ugly American flips the bird and shows up how they please, which may as you suggest also include overly skimpy attire.

If someone has a different definition of Evening Casual than I have, it does not bother me (unless their clothes are too sparse and they have body parts hanging, bulging or peeking out).

Now that sounds like "The Ugly, Fat American". We just coined a new phrase here.

Living in South Florida I consider putting on long pants and closed toe shoes to be formal wear.

Edited by Cary Cruiser