Viking Attire

abs711

Wonder if the lady in the Spandex was with the man who wears the baseball hat during dinner?

At one of our dinners one man came with a tank top and the arm opening almost came down to his belt line. He was told by the head of the dining room and the next dinner he wore a golf shirt.

Some people yearn for that time when people actually dressed up for stuff - like dinners on cruises. Heck, when I was a kid it was a big deal to go on an airplane. Men usually wore sports jackets, always a collared shirt, and sometimes a tie. And that was just to fly.

I have seen many pictures of my grandparents "dressed to the nines" just to go out for a dinner.

Well sadly for some, those days of style and elegance are gone and have been replaced with a very casual sense of dress. Yes if you are "clean and neat" that certainly is acceptable, but have we really lost something along the way?

When I look back at some of those old pictures I can't help but think "those people really had some class".

On the Viking cruise that I was on last year, I'd say that people conformed to the recommended dress code for dinner. I don't remember seeing jeans, so if people wore them, they were in a tiny minority. I don't remember seeing shorts, either, and it was super hot. At the Captain's dinner, most men had blazers, and many women wore dresses. My cruise was in June.

I am far from a formal person, and I agree that the person, not the clothes, matter. However, I like to dress up a bit when the occasion calls for it.

Edited by IT industry vet

The discussion has sparked many opinions and emphasis of proper attire during the day and during dinners. It is very accurate that many wear jeans on the cruises -- Viking's own photo ad shows 2 women on the stairs in jeans / sweater. It is also accurate that some wear slacks, or dress/skirt in the evening.

Don't let the boat / Europe itinerary intimidate you. Whatever you wear to eat out in a sit-down restaurant or sightsee in a city in the States, will work there as well. In nice restaurants here, there is wide variety of apparel worn at any given night -- and few think anything of it -- same on the boat. Wear whatever you think looks nice on you, or you feel comfortable in. Some like to dress up and that will certainly fit. Some prefer to dress more casual, and that will certainly fit as well.

We have found the other guests to be extremely interesting, funny, outgoing, down-to-earth, well-traveled, of widely varied income levels, and overall the friendliest and least snobbish crowd ever encountered.

Your room number or cabin level or what you wear doesn't matter. There will be some who could afford to buy the cruise line, and some who have saved 3 years to make the trip. The only hint you will have as to who are in the most expensive suites, is they are more likely to be seated at the Captain's table.

Pack more for the temperature range than anything. Most tours are in the morning, and being outside on the boat decks is much cooler in the wind and air off the river. On our first cruise we packed for the temperature highs during the day. Big Mistake -- We froze. Pack for the coolest temperature.

Okay, let's start here...the Viking Website FAQs include this:

What is the “dress code” aboard the ship?

Dress is casual and comfortable, both on board and ashore. Because the weather can be unpredictable, it is best to bring layers—have a sweater or light jacket for spring and summer, and a heavier jacket for chillier months. Rain can happen at any time, so a collapsible umbrella is a “must.” You are likely to do a good deal of walking during shore excursions, so you will definitely want sturdy, comfortable walking shoes; but, since our ships are much smaller than ocean cruising vessels, you do not have to worry about too much walking on board.

There are no “formal nights” on board, but there is usually a Captain’s Welcome Dinner and/or Farewell Dinner; on many itineraries, you will attend a concert, ballet performance or other dressier event. For these evenings, you might like to bring “dressy casual” wear.

A comprehensive list of Packing Tips is available in the On the Ship section.

The link provided there bring you to this:

CLOTHING SUGGESTIONS

Dress aboard and ashore is casual; we suggest you dress comfortably and bring sturdy walking shoes for sightseeing excursions. Dinner attire is “evening casual,” and the Captain’s Dinner is dressy, but not formal.

Now, here is the real problem with Viking ...and with many other cruise lines...

Dress codes are often called "suggestions"...

Terms such as "casual", "evening casual" and "dressy" are not really defined.

Everyone THINKS they know what these terms mean...BUT...they mean different things to different people. There are no objective standards.

At this point, I started googling "evening casual"...

Wikipedia's "dress codes" listing doesn't even include a definition for "evening casual" and really only goes into depth on Formal, informal, black tie...It has a link to casual in a side box...which leads to an incredibly vague definition.

A site called ehow.com had a definition of evening casual that seemed to describe something just short of formal...dress slacks, dress shirts, sports coats...

Another site called blogdresscodeable.com gave a definition for evening casual that included polo shirts and dark denims.

Zappos.com has a definition of "evening casual" which continually re-qualifies itself based on the exact setting and who the hosts are...but goes on to allow both sandals and designer jeans...

At this point I tired of reading. Everything just seemed to confirm exactly what I thought--That NOBODY completely agrees with what ANY of this means.

It is an entirely vague standard...

Remember also that one person might wear a coat and tie and look incredibly shabby and in poor taste...another person can wear cargo shorts and a golf shirt and look really classy...Some "jeans" look incredibly nice (and cost hundreds of dollars)...other jeans look like work pants or overalls (and I'm still too old to understand the "style" of purposely torn jeans...when I was a kid and we tore our jeans, my mom would iron on one of those iron-on patches!).

Also realize that standards of dress differ drastically region to region, city to city...I live in the Los Angeles area...and I regularly eat dinner in some very nice restaurants dressed in a manner that might be frowned upon in, say, New York or San Francisco...For example, I've dined at Spago in Beverly Hills wearing my cargo shorts and golf shirts...and not only haven't I felt out of place, I've seen some very notable people dressed the same...or even less formal...in LA, feeling comfortable enough to dress VERY casual us sort of a sign of status.

Bottom line is, absent any specific instructions as to what to wear, we all need to wear what WE, individually, feel is appropriate under the circumstances. You simply cannot enforce your own ideas as to appropriate dress on anyone else...you are only responsible for yourself. Unless the cruise line, at some point, wants to set forth some very specific regulations.

Dress is casual and comfortable, both on board and ashore. Because the weather can be unpredictable, it is best to bring layers—have a sweater or light jacket for spring and summer, and a heavier jacket for chillier months. Rain can happen at any time, so a collapsible umbrella is a “must.” You are likely to do a good deal of walking during shore excursions, so you will definitely want sturdy, comfortable walking shoes; but, since our ships are much smaller than ocean cruising vessels, you do not have to worry about too much walking on board.

There are no “formal nights” on board, but there is usually a Captain’s Welcome Dinner and/or Farewell Dinner; on many itineraries, you will attend a concert, ballet performance or other dressier event. For these evenings, you might like to bring “dressy casual” wear.

CLOTHING SUGGESTIONS

Dress aboard and ashore is casual; we suggest you dress comfortably and bring sturdy walking shoes for sightseeing excursions. Dinner attire is “evening casual,” and the Captain’s Dinner is dressy, but not formal.

Now, here is the real problem with Viking ...and with many other cruise lines...

Everyone THINKS they know what these terms mean...BUT...they mean different things to different people. There are no objective standards.

Wikipedia's "dress codes" listing doesn't even include a definition for "evening casual" and really only goes into depth on Formal, informal, black tie...It has a link to casual in a side box...which leads to an incredibly vague definition.

A site called ehow.com had a definition of evening casual that seemed to describe something just short of formal...dress slacks, dress shirts, sports coats...

Another site called blogdresscodeable.com gave a definition for evening casual that included polo shirts and dark denims.

Zappos.com has a definition of "evening casual" which continually re-qualifies itself based on the exact setting and who the hosts are...but goes on to allow both sandals and designer jeans...

At this point I tired of reading. Everything just seemed to confirm exactly what I thought--That NOBODY completely agrees with what ANY of this means.

Remember also that one person might wear a coat and tie and look incredibly shabby and in poor taste...another person can wear cargo shorts and a golf shirt and look really classy...Some "jeans" look incredibly nice (and cost hundreds of dollars)...other jeans look like work pants or overalls (and I'm still too old to understand the "style" of purposely torn jeans...when I was a kid and we tore our jeans, my mom would iron on one of those iron-on patches!).

Also realize that standards of dress differ drastically region to region, city to city...I live in the Los Angeles area...and I regularly eat dinner in some very nice restaurants dressed in a manner that might be frowned upon in, say, New York or San Francisco...For example, I've dined at Spago in Beverly Hills wearing my cargo shorts and golf shirts...and not only haven't I felt out of place, I've seen some very notable people dressed the same...or even less formal...in LA, feeling comfortable enough to dress VERY casual us sort of a sign of status.

Bottom line is, absent any specific instructions as to what to wear, we all need to wear what WE, individually, feel is appropriate under the circumstances. You simply cannot enforce your own ideas as to appropriate dress on anyone else...you are only responsible for yourself. Unless the cruise line, at some point, wants to set forth some very specific regulations.

Thank you for your research. Yours is a very reasonable and thorough post and I for one agree completely and appreciate it.

I have just checked and Scenic does not have a dress code as such but they do request 'no shorts at dinner' and I must admit as far as I have seen everyone has been nicely dressed. There is a good definition of 'evening casual' on ehow.com. It might be easier to take the two words separately as in evening and casual. It sounds like the majority of us don't want shabby, untidy or haute couture just a happy medium. I hope that does not sound to bland or to British as we are all going on amazing river cruises that we have looked forward to for ages and don't want the added angst of worrying about anything just enjoying ourselves.

Edited by Canal archive
Spelling

Exactly true. However it seems as if there are those who feel their interpretation of proper dress should apply to everyone because anything less will spoil the experience. Fortunately, most people are too busy enjoying themselves to allow others' choice of dress to interfere with that enjoyment. To the others, get over it, in the grand scheme it things it just isn't important. To set the record straight, I always conform to the way the majority is dressed but if there are those who don't oh well....not my problem!

CLOTHING SUGGESTIONS

Hopefully your thoughtful and well researched information will at last put an end to this thread. Its been fun.....

Thank you again,

Robin

In closing on this conversation, I guess I disagree with milling73's context. Having previously lived in Europe for four years, I learned the best lesson is : When in Rome, do as the Romans. If I ever do a river cruise in SoCal or Florida, I will keep in mind what the above posters from those locales define as evening casual. However, since Viking is a European flagged and owned cruise line, and I'm primarily cruising those waters, I typically look at how the Europeans, particularily those in my age bracket, in those countries visited, dress when they go out to a very nice upscale restaurant. I never ask myself "How would someone from LA dress when attending any event in Europe.

In closing on this conversation, I guess I disagree with milling73's context. Having previously lived in Europe for four years, I learned the best lesson is : When in Rome, do as the Romans. If I ever do a river cruise in SoCal or Florida, I will keep in mind what the above posters from those locales define as evening casual. However, since Viking is a European flagged and owned cruise line, and I'm primarily cruising those waters, I typically look at how the Europeans, particularily those in my age bracket, in those countries visited, dress when they go out to a very nice upscale restaurant. I never ask myself "How would someone from LA dress when attending any event in Europe.

I agree that you should dress according to those standards you have set forth for yourself, and likewise others will do the same, even if it differs with your views.

• 2 weeks later...
my packing list. My husband and I were able to get everything needed for our cruise in a 21" rolling carry-on bag each. A large purse for me and a backpack for him completed our luggage. We looked neat and fashionable all week, too, with nary a pair of jeans in sight.

We also travel with only a 22" carryon and a shoulder-tote that slips over the carry-on handle. I totally agree with the traveling light approach, but I WILL l be bringing/wearing my staple pair of NYDJ jeans (Not Your Daughter's Jeans). They are very dark demin and tasteful. They can be dressed up with heels or boots with a nice top/jacket/cardigan and accessories....or worn sightseeing with my black sneaker-esque sport shoes. This is my first RC, but I "probably" will not wear jeans at night. DH also wears stylish dark denim jeans with a collared shirt and blazer. Euro casual.

Black denim or black ponte pants can go a long way Day-to-Evening (if not in heat of summer)

Yes, Europeans do wear casual footwear, but not white gym shoes or shoes that you would also work-out in. We logged at least 5 miles/day, so we need soft-soled supportive footwear. A scarf is a must! Yes, men too! It dresses anything up.

Love the NYDJ will have to pass that one on. I must admit to going to the limit with packing even to the extent of wearing my walking boots to save weight and space in the case, it's a bit of a pain when flying, having to take of your shoes but hey ho it has to be done. Traveling by Eurostar this year so don't know if one has to remove shoes. Carry on or other halves luggage is for any extras purchased on route especially teddy bears, Scenic usually has some really tempting Stif ones, I just collect teddy bears. Layering is the way to go and yes scarves can lift an outfit don't take up room or weight and it's always nice to find an extra one when browsing local shops, not that I shop, much! What I do love is noting the different styles across Europe or the world for that matter so many ideas, good job we are not all the same.

Happy cruising all regardless of what you wear.

Cash Flow, I will happily e-mail you my packing list next week :). If anyone else would like to see it, I am happy to share. Just include your e-mail address in your response.

I have found the reactions to my post very interesting albeit slightly disturbing, and I am truly sorry that some of you interpreted my intentions incorrectly.

The bottom line is really this - Why must Americans always be seen as "the lowest common denominator"? Decency and respect in dress is really not so hard, and it does leave a lasting and positive impression with very little effort.

Happy Weekend Everyone!

Hi Ski Mamma,

Please share the packing list, my email is http://rbovine1@gmail.com

Thanks! P.S. Hoping to avoid the shirtless shabby at the coffee counter myself! LOL.

I know in this thread I used the expression 'lowest common denominator' but I definitely was not allocating this description to Americans I am sure that at one time or another we have all cringed at one of our own nationalities dress sense or behaviour. Packing is all about making a decision and how many times have we said 'expletive deleted' why did I leave that at home or why on earth did I pack that.

Someone once said beauty is from within so wear what is comfortable and fit for the occasion.

Happy packing because that means you will be cruising soon.:)

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are avid cruisers and have been on many sea-going cruises and are about to go on our first river cruise. Greatly anticipated! Got on Cruise Critic to see what I could learn from different threads and started reading ones with "Viking" in the header. Because that's who we are going on for the Grand European Amsterdam to Budapest!

LOL! I have to admit that after reading the first half dozen on tips for cruising Viking or Viking vs "other cruise purveyors" that when I came to this thread on appropriate dress, I found it to be the most impassioned and lengthy thread of all.

Now, I have to admit, I didn't get very far down the list of threads, but I find it very humorous that this is the same kind of thing I've seen on threads about the big ships.

Anyhow, thanks for all the interesting reading.

One last story, my wife and I sang in our church choir for 25 years and we kept getting new choir directors. One of them was from Lithuania and she LOVED to wear her skin-tight jeans to church for services when she was directing. The pastor was aghast and she didn't get it! She was wearing what was expensive and fashionable for her culture and he was a country bumpkin. Hilarious. She was a fabulous director and I never heard one word from anyone in the congregation about her wearing those jeans. It's all relative.

I thoroughly agree with SkiMamma. As a man who is American, I have seen our culture decline over the years to where people dress so inappropriately at times, it disgusts me. Going to stores you see people wearing horrible looking clothes with their fat stomachs hanging out and it really is a shame. We are getting dumb and dumber and we are less civil to each other.

Granted, fashions change but good taste is never out of style. Just because many do it doesn't make it right.

Everyone has the right to wear what they wish, I respect that but we have to look at you. I don't even shop at Walmart anymore because the clientele who shop tend to be tattooed over their bodies and horrid to look at. I think it's a matter of pride. When visiting places, I always try to dress nicely. If I go out dining in summer, I wear a linen sport coat. In the fall and winter, a blazer.

There used to be a saying: a man is measured by his clothes. Dressing up is fun and it doesn't offend anyone either.

Okay, my rant is finished.

Having just read this thread I thought I would check the Croisieurope site for their code ready for my own trip in July. This seems sensible and is taken from their UK site:

Dress

What is the dress code on board?

You’ll be most comfortable during the day in smart casual clothing. You may wish to bring items that do not wrinkle easily, or that transport well after being ironed at home, as there is no iron provided on the ship. Bring a variety of clothing for the environments expected during your cruise, including light clothing and bathing suits for hot weather, a sweater or jacket for cooler weather, and of course a raincoat and/or small umbrella.

Please check the weather for your specific cruise countries, as the weather can vary quite a bit between the northern and Mediterranean areas. Don’t forget to bring comfortable and sturdy walking shoes for sightseeing excursions.

You can check forecasts and live reports at:

BBC Weather http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Met Office http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/world/

The Weather Channel http://uk.weather.com/

For evening meals, as well as for cocktails or gala events ‘casual dressy’ clothing is appropriate.

- See more at: http://www.croisieurope.co.uk/faqs#life onboard

We just got back from Viking Portraits of Southern France -my husband and I each took a twenty five inch suitcases- my husband wore the same thing every day - a pair of docker type pants and a button down shirt. Depending on how much he was out during the day, he might change his shirt. I brought a pair of black jeans, pair of blue jeans, black capris and a pair of black knit pants (almost like sweats) that I wore only on the plane. I bought a great reversible dress and jacket at Travelsmith and wore that for most dinners (or sometimes a jacket or sweater with the black jeans). Shoes were my trusty Merrell jungle mocs in black and pair of hurache style flat sandals. I wore the sandals with the dress and my capris. I only wore the capris once on board on a nice sunny afternoon.