Viking Attire

abs711

We have been on many ocean cruises, and 2 Viking cruises. We are going on the Grand European cruise this summer. On our last Viking trip I brought mostly nice clothes for dinner, Chico's for the most part. I find a pair of black slacks can go a long way with various tops. To be honest I was more dressed up than most people each evening except maybe on the special Capt or farewell nights. My husband wore docker type slacks and an open collar dress shirt most nights, and was just fine. I would rather be over dressed than under dressed, but that is just me. After many trips to Europe, I think jeans are fine for excursions. Just maybe skip the white tennis shoes! We all stick out as Americans anyway, especially when we are in a group with a guide and wearing headsets for heavens sake.

Just called Viking and the guy said that no jackeets required for dinner but he also said the last night which is captain's night my husband should wear a jacket.

I would love not to take one.

We are going this summer in RCL Independence of the Seas to Spanish Med and he is taking a sports jacket.

Trying now to figure out which river cruise company to go with for next summer. I know we want to do the Danube but not sure with who????

Ski Mama I would love to see your packing list:

pgusewich2005@yahoo.com

Thanks

So it was "International Day" at my mom's school. The sixth graders were all paired up and given a country to do a presentation on. The kids who did Austria dressed up as the Von Trapp children. The kids who did the UK dressed up as Sherlock Holmes and Dr.Watson. It was all cute until the kids who did Luxembourg came in the room dressed as old Country and Western stars with cowboy boots, cowboy hats, and bolo ties. They gave their presentation on the basic facts of the country. A teacher then asked about their costumes. They said that they read online that the people of Luxembourg dress in standard "Western attire"... The teacher tried hard not laugh when she said that referred to the Western Hemisphere... not US.
I can understand how the kids got confused by “Western attire”. I just wish that teacher was bright enough to know that Luxembourg (along with the vast majority of Europe) is in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Just called Viking and the guy said that no jackeets required for dinner but he also said the last night which is captain's night my husband should wear a jacket. I would love not to take one...
Your husband would not be out of place wearing a jacket on Captain’s night. BUT During the summer maybe 10% of the men on board might wear a sport coat; during cooler weather maybe 25% of the men will wear coats. You can do the math and see how many do NOT take such an item.

Thom

My husband collects models of ships. We always buy it on the ships. Not sure if on a river cruise he can also get a ship or is there any other souvenir that shows the ship available on a river cruise?

Thank you all

Your question might get lost in this thread. Just a suggestion, start a new thread and mention what you are looking for in the subject line. Hopefully you will get an answer. Good luck:)

My husband collects models of ships. We always buy it on the ships. Not sure if on a river cruise he can also get a ship or is there any other souvenir that shows the ship available on a river cruise?

Thank you all

I don't recall seeing ship models on our river cruise (with so few passengers it's hard to see how they could sell enough), but AMA gave us free postcards with a picture of the ship. [They also mailed them for free -- but you did have to write them yourself!]

We just got back from Viking Portraits of Southern France -my husband and I each took a twenty five inch suitcases- my husband wore the same thing every day - a pair of docker type pants and a button down shirt. Depending on how much he was out during the day, he might change his shirt. I brought a pair of black jeans, pair of blue jeans, black capris and a pair of black knit pants (almost like sweats) that I wore only on the plane. I bought a great reversible dress and jacket at Travelsmith and wore that for most dinners (or sometimes a jacket or sweater with the black jeans). Shoes were my trusty Merrell jungle mocs in black and pair of hurache style flat sandals. I wore the sandals with the dress and my capris. I only wore the capris once on board on a nice sunny afternoon.

My husband and I will be doing a Grand France cruise in September 2015, have just spent the past half hour looking at the Travelsmith site you mentioned - love the reversible clothing idea!Thanks for your tips.:)

This reply might make me seem "stuffy" or priggish but that is not my intention at all. As a young at heart and VERY active 64 year old, no one would ever consider me even remotely stuffy! Instead, I am trying to help the average Viking traveler better fit with their new surroundings by dressing with the respect that European and Asian destinations and their people absolutely deserve.

Why Americans feel that they can dress in such a casual manner when out in public has always bewildered really me. I lived in Europe for 6 years n the 1970's and have vacationed there untold times since then, including one Viking cruise and a booking on another to come in October. What I have found is that people in other parts of the world, and especially those in the Viking age groups, pride themselves on a neat and polished appearance. That does not include jeans at dinner or really at any time except the most casual. They are only commonly worn by teens and University students. Men wear nice pants (no shorts except at the beach), collared or polo shirts and sweaters. Women wear nice skirts, slacks (no capris or shorts except at the beach), blouses, sweaters and scarves as accessories. Often a blazer is casually tossed on as a jacket. Workout wear is for the gym or jogging ONLY.

In addition, jeans are the heaviest pants there are, and in these days of careful weighing of luggage and easily charged overage fees, why take heavy pants when Dockers type slacks are so much lighter and far more suitable? Jeans don't keep anyone warm when it is cold or cool when it is hot, either.

My final note concerns something that happened on my Viking cruise last year. Please, please, please don't come to the coffee/tea station in the morning or at any time without a shirt and wearing pants (in his case jeans) drooping below the belly. A man on our cruise in May did that EVERY morning, and it was so incredibly offensive. A Viking ship is not a place to wander about shirtless, unless you have abs like Matthew McConaghey!!

It is really all a matter of respect for yourselves and for your fellow man/woman. Dress with pride and respect, and you will be treated the same.

Thanks for reading, and if you are interested, I would be delighted to share my packing list. My husband and I were able to get everything needed for our cruise in a 21" rolling carry-on bag each. A large purse for me and a backpack for him completed our luggage. We looked neat and fashionable all week, too, with nary a pair of jeans in sight.

I am packing NOW and would appreciate receiving your packing list. Thank you for offering. Are you able to post here as to maintain privacy? It would also spare you from having to respond to individual e-mails.

I laugh at many of the responses here. If a young slender lady looks very stylish in a pair of designer jeans, does that also make a 50 year old, 50 lb overweight lady in a pair of Brand X jeans look stylish? How does that compare with the guy with the beer belly hanging over his belt buckle wearing the comfort fits, are they all the same? In appropriateness is there no difference between Cameron Diaz and the Molly character (of Mike and Molly) in a mini skirt?

I would never wear jeans to dinner, nor would I show up to breakfast in sweat pants and a sleeveless shirt, like some fellow American travelers has insisted upon doing. I don't get overly excited about the issue, however, I'm not a total equalitarion. What may be stylish for one person (or group) may look very inappropriate, and down right bad on a different person(group). Difficult concept for many of my fellow Americans to grasp, as proven by many of the previous posts here.

I laugh at many of the responses here. If a young slender lady looks very stylish in a pair of designer jeans, does that also make a 50 year old, 50 lb overweight lady in a pair of Brand X jeans look stylish? How does that compare with the guy with the beer belly hanging over his belt buckle wearing the comfort fits, are they all the same? In appropriateness is there no difference between Cameron Diaz and the Molly character (of Mike and Molly) in a mini skirt?

I would never wear jeans to dinner, nor would I show up to breakfast in sweat pants and a sleeveless shirt, like some fellow American travelers has insisted upon doing. I don't get overly excited about the issue, however, I'm not a total equalitarion. What may be stylish for one person (or group) may look very inappropriate, and down right bad on a different person(group). Difficult concept for many of my fellow Americans to grasp, as proven by many of the previous posts here.

Oh I think I've got it! Me, in Blue Jeans that I love and should not really be seen in vs my gorgeous daughter in her blue jeans.... She manages to make hers look dressy and classy, while I am short and round and should not be seen outside my house in them :)

I would think deep down at least the ladies know the difference and hopefully we are in charge of what DH have in their suitcase!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Nana;

It's amazing how many American men and women don't, or refuse to, understand the difference!:eek: They only understand what they are comfortable in.

Still remembering the woman showing up for breakfast in her bathrobe and curlers, but I guess she felt comfortable!:rolleyes:

Must we decide on body types now to consider if jeans are appropriate? Body type is not always due to overeating. Should the overweight people dress differently because people judge them according to their weight? Must we decide the price we pay for jeans to consider if they are appropriate? Puh-lease. Denim is denim. My attitude is judge no one and enjoy your vacation without stressing over attire.

Must we decide on body types now to consider if jeans are appropriate? Body type is not always due to overeating. Should the overweight people dress differently because people judge them according to their weight? Must we decide the price we pay for jeans to consider if they are appropriate? Puh-lease. Denim is denim. My attitude is judge no one and enjoy your vacation without stressing over attire.

Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy, please could we just get you to agree NOT to wear curlers, robe and fuzzy slippers to breakfast or to turn up "bare chested" to dinner? As for blue jeans I don't think the river cruiselines have any particular dress code addressing them. I for one should not be seen in them, my DH looks very nice in them with a button down and jacket. I will just worry about how we look and hope others use common sense....

Now about those fuzzy slippers? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My husband and I are cruising the Danube very shortly. We will be gone a total of 2 weeks. I have a 24 inch soft material suitcase. I'm taking 3 pr. pants...one pair of black travel knit slacks, one pair black denim jeans, and 1 pair of dark gray slacks. I'll be wearing the travel knit slacks onboard the plane. The tops I am taking are all solids and/or prints in black, white, red, and gray. I have 2 light-weight knit 'jackets: one black and one red. This way, everything will mix and match. I weighed the suitcase tonight; and, fully packed it weighed only 35 lbs. I'm taking a couple of scarves to dress things up a little. I have an 18 inch duffle-type shoulder bag for a carry-on, as well as my purse.

Some of the things I've packed are NOT coming home with me....older underwear...sample size tubes of make-up and skin care products, snacks.

And, I agree that people should dress respectfully and appropriately. And, yes, you can look that way even in a pair of nice jeans. Just because you're on vacation doesn't mean you should look sloppy and unconcerned over your appearance.

Edited by jojocmcla

Discussions linking Common Sense and Clothing are oxymorons. If you want proof, just go sit in front of your local Walmart and look at some of the attire walking through the door. :eek: Unfortunately, I've seen the same level of common sense displayed on both cruise ships and river barges. We can never depend upon a nonsensical concept of common sense to rule the day!:(

OMG... I was hoping these dreaded "proper dress code" threads were only limited to ocean cruises... but alas... they have found their way here as well... :eek:

Fuzzy slippers = proper footwear :)

I would think deep down at least the ladies know the difference and hopefully we are in charge of what DH have in their suitcase!

I've seen it on numerous occasions where the husband should be in charge of what the wife puts in the suitcase... unless looking either like a tramp or a clown is the look they're going for!

Herb;

Totally correct!:D

I realize Jiminy doesn't like discussions discriminating on body types but nothing worn can destroy my meal faster than a obese woman walking by the table in tight fitting spandex! :eek:

Please show me the common sense or source of advice in those clothing selections!!!:(

I'd take bathrobes and curlers, at the breakfast table anytime! Spandex on anyone over maybe size 10 should be banned!

"I've seen it on numerous occasions where the husband should be in charge of what the wife puts in the suitcase" lol

If I were in charge of packing for my wife, which would never happen, my credit cards would be maxed out with charges for new clothes as soon as we got to our destination.

Just so you know there were no obese women wearing spandex on our cruise. For that matter not one thin woman either. Every person dressed appropriately. Clean, comfortable and everything was covered that should be covered.

Hummm spandex and fuzzy slippers could really set a trend :)

I'm relieved that the fashion police would find nothing amiss on the river!

Maybe this thread will die an early and peaceful death !!!