Journey Drydock Photos

Andy

Hi Everyone,

Here's some photos from Journey's Drydock (From Azamara's Twitter feed), which is now underway :

BiBUdMYCYAI7o11.jpg

Edited by Host Andy

Interesting!

You can see a dent and a bend but I imagine the worst damage was done to the bearings and gearing as it fought against the cables stopping it turning.

It would have taken tremendous force to damage one of those blades.

Interesting!

You can see a dent and a bend but I imagine the worst damage was done to the bearings and gearing as it fought against the cables stopping it turning.

It would have taken tremendous force to damage one of those blades.

Great to see the repair work underway!

During a briefing on board, the Captain showed us underwater photos taken by the divers in Tokyo. They suspect the damage was caused by steel wire that got bound around the propeller shaft. It sheared off a section of the outer protective cover and damaged the root of the propeller. As I understood it, the most critical concern was a crack in the exposed inner liner that contained lubricant. Without lubricant, the port shaft had to locked be prevent damage from metal rubbing on metal. Unfortunately, the only way to replace the damaged seals was in dry dock.

Wow. You really get a sense of the size of the ship when you look at photos like this. For all that the Journey is a "small" ship, well, she's really not! Thanks Andy for sharing these with us.

I'm assuming that steel wire is not normally there? Otherwise, wouldn't have some other ship hit it at some point?

Hi Midwestchick,

While I have not received any direct information, I would think that's a fair assumption.