Time to self disembark

ARIES59

We are planning to self disembark, but wanted to know are we still able to have breakfast and still leave our luggage in our room until we are ready to leave. We have booked a transfer service for 9.30am to 10am.

We are planning to self disembark, but wanted to know are we still able to have breakfast and still leave our luggage in our room until we are ready to leave. We have booked a transfer service for 9.30am to 10am.

We are sitting in the departure lounge waiting to disembark the Century. We arrived at the MDR at 6:45 and had a full breakfast and then went back to the cabin.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Normally, self disembarkation is done before regular disembark at around 7:00am. They usually want everyone to vacate cabins by 8:30am or so and go to the departure lounges. You should be prepared to be able to carry your luggage down a couple of flights of stairs as elevators are very crowded.

We do self-disembarking, but it's not that late. They will give you a time and place (often on deck 3, but last time it was 5) to meet. Usually it's about 7 or 7:15.

The way it REALLY works is you get down there with your luggage about 45 minutes earlier than they say if you want to be one of the first. You set your luggage down at the given spot and the luggage is your place in line.

At that point, you can go to Cafe' Bacio and bring back a drink and a croissant and eat there, or go somewhere to get something to eat. One of us usually stays with the luggage while the other grabs something quick.

If you don't have a transfer until 9:30 or so, you won't need to line up that quickly.

We have found that we MUCH prefer just going out the doors and grabbing our own cab. The transfers with those big vans take so long to load everyone's stuff, and unload and stop for each airline, etc. We always take a separate cab. Easy to get one, much faster and oftentimes the same price or even cheaper than those shuttle services. We have never reserved a shuttle or anything in advance and it's always fine. Out of FLL we usually take a 10:30 a.m. flight and we're typically at the airport at least two hours waiting.

Thank you for your reply :)

We would really like to breakfast about 7.30 and leave our cabin about 8.30 to self disembark. We don't want to leave too early as we have a 6 hour drive ahead of us and would prefer to be refreshed, than to have to get up early for a 7.30 disembark.

I hope someone can answer this for me.

Thank you for your reply :)

We would really like to breakfast about 7.30 and leave our cabin about 8.30 to self disembark. We don't want to leave too early as we have a 6 hour drive ahead of us and would prefer to be refreshed, than to have to get up early for a 7.30 disembark.

I hope someone can answer this for me.

We've never done self disembarkation but I've read comments on these boards from others who have said you can leave anytime during general disembarkation. Most people do the self disembarkation in order to get off early so the discussion centers around getting off ASAP but I don't think that is required.

I'm guessing you will be fine on the schedule you mentioned.

We've frequently done roughly the schedule you mention with regular disembarkation. With breakfast around that time (they usually stop serving around 8) and leaving our bags in our cabin until after breakfast. I will say that I wouldn't count on leaving the bags in the cabin much later than that as the stewards have a ton of work on turn around day and need to start on it early. We usually have the bags all packed before breakfast and tell the stewards we've left our bags for a bit but that it is OK for them to start on the cabin while we're at breakfast. Then we grab our bags after breakfast and move to another area of the ship until our number is called.

As I say we've never done the self disembark as I couldn't imagine getting all our stuff off the ship considering the busy elevators packed solid, going down ramps and possibly down a flight or two of stairs. But we probably pack heavier than most cruisers. It is bad enough for us doing it with the one suitcase we hang onto to pack our last night items.

Thank you very much, Larry, that is really useful information you have given me :)

I wasn't aware that breakfast would finish at 8, so an earlier breakfast will be in order.

I think perhaps the logistics of me trying to get a huge suitcase off the ship may lead to a change of plan :D I pack for every eventuality ;)

I take your point about the stewards having such a quick turnover and will respect that.

Sorry, one more question? Can you give me a rough estimate of what time we would leave the ship if we decided to do general disembarkation?

Edited by Little Nell

Thank you very much, Larry, that is really useful information you have given me :)

I wasn't aware that breakfast would finish at 8, so an earlier breakfast will be in order.

I think perhaps the logistics of me trying to get a huge suitcase off the ship may lead to a change of plan :D I pack for every eventuality ;)

I take your point about the stewards having such a quick turnover and will respect that.

Sorry, one more question? Can you give me a rough estimate of what time we would leave the ship if we decided to do general disembarkation?

Are you talking about putting your luggage out the night before and then leaving when your number is called? If that's the case, there's no way to tell you what time you'd be assigned. You will fill out a form telling guest services what your disembarkation pans are. If you have a flight to catch, they will assign you a number that corresponds to your flight time. If you don't have a flight, they can assign you any departure time they like. On our Equinox cruise, the numbers went from 3 to 75. We were group 11 and they called our number at 8:20. But, once off the ship, the lines for Immigration and Customs were really bad---Celebrity even sent a letter to every passenger telling them that the lines will be very slow, but there's nothing they, Celebrity, can do about it.

Are you talking about putting your luggage out the night before and then leaving when your number is called? If that's the case, there's no way to tell you what time you'd be assigned. You will fill out a form telling guest services what your disembarkation pans are. If you have a flight to catch, they will assign you a number that corresponds to your flight time. If you don't have a flight, they can assign you any departure time they like. On our Equinox cruise, the numbers went from 3 to 75. We were group 11 and they called our number at 8:20. But, once off the ship, the lines for Immigration and Customs were really bad---Celebrity even sent a letter to every passenger telling them that the lines will be very slow, but there's nothing they, Celebrity, can do about it.

Thank you, Darcie. I had no idea the queues would be so long. We've always done fly cruises before.

Any other pertinent information would be gratefully accepted.

I am hoping someone might answer for me. We had planned to use luggage valet and self disembark since our flight is earlier than recommended (10am). We have since been advised that we probably will not be able to use luggage valet because of the early flight. I am a terrible over packer so my poor husband is used to lugging heavy luggage BUT I fear unless we self disembark we may miss the flight

...Sorry, one more question? Can you give me a rough estimate of what time we would leave the ship if we decided to do general disembarkation?

If everything goes on the normal schedule then general disembarkation begins sometime around, or before, 8AM. The last group off is usually around 9:30 or a little later. This could run later if for any number of reasons the disembarkation doesn't start on time. It can also run later for the later disembarkation groups if there is backup with long queues through the luggage pick up and customs and immigration. Guest relations can usually be accommodating for certain times if you need to be off the ship for one reason or another such as a car scheduled for a certain time but be aware that there is always a chance you'll be late. So let the car service know that and get the drivers cell phone number or arrange for him to call your cell to give you his number.

I am hoping someone might answer for me. We had planned to use luggage valet and self disembark since our flight is earlier than recommended (10am). We have since been advised that we probably will not be able to use luggage valet because of the early flight. I am a terrible over packer so my poor husband is used to lugging heavy luggage BUT I fear unless we self disembark we may miss the flight

This is correct. Luggage valet is only available for flights after a certain time as they have to have time to get all the luggage checked into the airport. A year ago the times on the Eclipse at Ft. Lauderdale were flights from FLL after 11:30AM and flights from MIA after 2PM.

With early self disembark your only option is to manage your luggage off the ship yourself. As I said before you need to be prepared to move all if it through busy lines off the ship including crowded elevators, ramps, and possibly stairs. We've never done it but I've heard it is very rough for people who travel heavy with multiple bags.

I will address several of the issues raised.

Whatevergoes - Is that person in need of a wheel chair? If so there is a special disembarkation and if they need assistance from the crew it will be made available. Disembarkation of passengers with special needs often occurs after the self disembarking passengers. If you are sailing back to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami there are elevators in the terminal.

Charlie52 - You do not qualify for luggage valet. You will be forced to do self disembarkation. In addition to the above mentioned thoughts I'd like to include my recommendations as I have done self disembarkation.

1. Check in online for your flight and pay any applicable baggage fees at the 24 hour mark (or whatever time your airline opens for this.)

2. Determine the cut off time for checking in and checking your luggage at the airport. Use this as your goal. Your departure time is important but the cut off is critical. It can range from 45 minutes to well over an hour or two with checked luggage depending on airline and destination.

3. Completely and accurately fill out your immigration and customs forms. Have your passport or photo id and documents handy. If you exceed your customs allowance be prepared to add at least 20 minutes to leave the line and pay the fees. If you have made any purchases that exceed the allowances have those items handy too.

4. Do not take any food off the ship. Do not try to bring back prohibited items which could include Cuban cigars, ivory or coral, and the list goes on and on. Do not wear any new or flashy jewelry.

5. You do have to manage your luggage on the ship as has been noted. I really hate it when people dump their luggage in the disembarkation area and go off for breakfast or whatever. The area will be crowded and more often than not, they get a little testy too. This is more likely to happen if disembarkation is delayed. It is most likely if returning from a repositioning cruise or if there is fog delaying the ship.

6. Take a cab. No shuttle will get you to the airport as quickly.

7. If you determine that you could miss your flight call the airline immediately. Do not wait until you get to the airport. You will be rebooked on the first available flight. The probability of additional fees is also a reality. Before you leave home make a list of alternate flights on your airline. If you have a nonstop flight look at connecting flights too. The airline will do the best they can but if you have a game plan it will facilitate the process.

The next time you cruise please take a later flight. You could certainly miss your 10 am flight given a number of unforeseen events. But I hope you do not and have a wonderful cruise.

I will address several of the issues raised.

Whatevergoes - Is that person in need of a wheel chair? If so there is a special disembarkation and if they need assistance from the crew it will be made available. Disembarkation of passengers with special needs often occurs after the self disembarking passengers. If you are sailing back to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami there are elevators in the terminal.

Charlie52 - You do not qualify for luggage valet. You will be forced to do self disembarkation. In addition to the above mentioned thoughts I'd like to include my recommendations as I have done self disembarkation.

1. Check in online for your flight and pay any applicable baggage fees at the 24 hour mark (or whatever time your airline opens for this.)

2. Determine the cut off time for checking in and checking your luggage at the airport. Use this as your goal. Your departure time is important but the cut off is critical. It can range from 45 minutes to well over an hour or two with checked luggage depending on airline and destination.

3. Completely and accurately fill out your immigration and customs forms. Have your passport or photo id and documents handy. If you exceed your customs allowance be prepared to add at least 20 minutes to leave the line and pay the fees. If you have made any purchases that exceed the allowances have those items handy too.

4. Do not take any food off the ship. Do not try to bring back prohibited items which could include Cuban cigars, ivory or coral, and the list goes on and on. Do not wear any new or flashy jewelry.

5. You do have to manage your luggage on the ship as has been noted. I really hate it when people dump their luggage in the disembarkation area and go off for breakfast or whatever. The area will be crowded and more often than not, they get a little testy too. This is more likely to happen if disembarkation is delayed. It is most likely if returning from a repositioning cruise or if there is fog delaying the ship.

6. Take a cab. No shuttle will get you to the airport as quickly.

7. If you determine that you could miss your flight call the airline immediately. Do not wait until you get to the airport. You will be rebooked on the first available flight. The probability of additional fees is also a reality. Before you leave home make a list of alternate flights on your airline. If you have a nonstop flight look at connecting flights too. The airline will do the best they can but if you have a game plan it will facilitate the process.

The next time you cruise please take a later flight. You could certainly miss your 10 am flight given a number of unforeseen events. But I hope you do not and have a wonderful cruise.

We are on the 7/4/14 Reflection cruise. I wonder if anyone can specifically answer regarding self disembarking from Civitavecchia port and going to the airport for a 9:50 AM non-stop flight to Newark NJ. I was able to use miles and I booked that flight before I realized the time would be tight. I have searched most threads and gotten different opinions. I have also contacted transfer companies who indicate it is no problem so long as we are picked up by 7 AM. Can anyone give me information if they have personally self disembarked at Civitavecchia and picked up by 7 AM or earlier and gotten to the airport in time for a 9:50 AM flight. Also, what is the earliest time you can self-disembark at that port?

I can't help it, but every time I see self disembark I think of self deportation, an unfortunate turn of phrase.

We always do the self-disembarkation. Much prefer it the having to wait in the lounges for an hour or so. We get up very early and are the first ones in the buffet line, eat, drink our coffee, then back to our rooms.

Then when it says in the instructions to be on deck 3 at 6:45 am or whatever time they say you always get there at leat 30 minutes earlier so you don't have any problems getting your luggage on the elevators. Most people will be going up to the top decks to get breakfast but you will be going down to the disembarkation deck and have already had breakfast.

That's the way to work it. Always show up at least 30 minutes early and that way you are one of the first ones off. We then grab a cab and off to the airport. Very easy....but we do not overpack. Happy sailing....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: