Newark car service

willow0325

Good morning fellow cruisers!

I'm looking for a car service to take us from the Newark Country Inns & Suites to the Manhattan cruise terminal. Another thread listed 3 in the area but 2 have unfavorable reviews when I researched them and I'm unable to find any reviews on the 3rd. I don't mind paying a bit more to have good service and to ensure we aren't left stranded and waiting or have a driver tell us we owe more for tolls, etc. (the 3 suggestions were Dial 7, Carmel Limo and Black Executive, which is the one I couldn't find any reviews on.)

Who have you personally used and would recommend? Thanks so much.

Edited by willow0325

Where are you seeing bad reviews for Dial 7 and Carmellimo? Bayonne and New York cruisers use these companies all the time and we recommend them all the time on this forum.

If you are uncomfortable with these companies, why don't you call Country Inns and see who they recommend? The Newark Airport area is awash with transportation options and every hotel should have a "go to" car service to get transportation for their guests.

I use Yelp for many business reviews - you'll see them there.

I can certainly call the hotel, but I'm hoping for some first hand experience from folks on cruise critic. If others have had favorable experience with any of the 3, I'm all for hearing about it. I didn't come up with a lot when I searched, I think just one or two.

Personally, I read & believe in some of the Yelp reviews with half a cup of sea salt first & foremost - some of the reviews are professionally written & some are by competitors trying to discredit other operators. We have one of the worst remaining buffet on land in our area, over-priced & both DW and I had gotten sick after eating there, never again - guess what, 5 stars rated & highly praised, lovely pictures taken (when the place was empty) - go figures.

Carmel is our semi/unofficial car service - especially going to airports and cruise terminal, they are priced lowered than Dial 7. Know nothing about #3 on your list. These 2 providers are usually, if not always, given high marks by CC and on my other forum - Flyertalk or frequent flyers - for metro NYC area. Carmel took care of delivering us to MCT Pier 90 5 days after Hurricane Sandy scored a direct hit on NYC and I recommended them to someone landing JFK at 5:30 AM and driver took toll-less route to get them into Manhattan's Upper West Side/Central Park area in 40 minutes - happy traveler never been to the city & afraid of getting ripped off/mistreated, etc.

If you don' trust the endorsement here, well - what can I say. Good luck and get a high price deluxe limo with a bar and 3X the going rates isn't necessary going to get you better or more reliable services - same with not trusting or taking a taxi within the city. It's all about having faith and trust ...

There is always the mass transit option, hotel has 24/7 free shuttle to/from EWR, use the AirTrain & NYTransit and/or PATH train to commute into Manhattan (weekend has limited services with bypass - just slower & more transfers) Penn Station or 33rd Street PATH, then ... Or, the NY Waterway option via Hoboken.

Rule #1 for us - always, always allow extra travel time for the unexpected and have two, not one backup plan ready.

Happy Cruising.

I use Yelp for many business reviews - you'll see them there.

I can certainly call the hotel, but I'm hoping for some first hand experience from folks on cruise critic. If others have had favorable experience with any of the 3, I'm all for hearing about it. I didn't come up with a lot when I searched, I think just one or two.

Normally car services pay for the recommendation from a hotel and it will sometimes cost you more that way.

Personally, I read & believe in some of the Yelp reviews with half a cup of sea salt first & foremost - some of the reviews are professionally written & some are by competitors trying to discredit other operators. We have one of the worst remaining buffet on land in our area, over-priced & both DW and I had gotten sick after eating there, never again - guess what, 5 stars rated & highly praised, lovely pictures taken (when the place was empty) - go figures.

Carmel is our semi/unofficial car service - especially going to airports and cruise terminal, they are priced lowered than Dial 7. Know nothing about #3 on your list. These 2 providers are usually, if not always, given high marks by CC and on my other forum - Flyertalk or frequent flyers - for metro NYC area. Carmel took care of delivering us to MCT Pier 90 5 days after Hurricane Sandy scored a direct hit on NYC and I recommended them to someone landing JFK at 5:30 AM and driver took toll-less route to get them into Manhattan's Upper West Side/Central Park area in 40 minutes - happy traveler never been to the city & afraid of getting ripped off/mistreated, etc.

If you don' trust the endorsement here, well - what can I say. Good luck and get a high price deluxe limo with a bar and 3X the going rates isn't necessary going to get you better or more reliable services - same with not trusting or taking a taxi within the city. It's all about having faith and trust ...

There is always the mass transit option, hotel has 24/7 free shuttle to/from EWR, use the AirTrain & NYTransit and/or PATH train to commute into Manhattan (weekend has limited services with bypass - just slower & more transfers) Penn Station or 33rd Street PATH, then ... Or, the NY Waterway option via Hoboken.

Rule #1 for us - always, always allow extra travel time for the unexpected and have two, not one backup plan ready.

Happy Cruising.

Thank you, thank you for the helpful info. Please though, I never said that I don't trust what I read on Cruise Critic. Don't fault me for doing homework based on one other person's post about services. I've used cruise critic on many occasions and posted replies to folks about areas that I know well, too. As I mentioned, I only found a couple of posts about the car services that were recommended and they weren't particularly favorable so I posed the question to the best experts I know -- folks on these forums.

I would love it if several who used those car services posted here in favor of them. But one person saying they were great doesn't necessarily sell me. It can be intimidating coming to a city the size of Newark and NYC and I'm just doing my homework - same as anyone who asks a question on Cruise Critic. We sure don't need stress when we're starting our vacations.

So again, thank you to anyone who has helpful info. I googled car services in the Newark and NYC area -- yikes, there's so many that I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks and happy cruising!

I used Black Executive at least 6 times with no issue...and I haven't ever heard CCers complain....nor have I heard any bad things about carmel limo or dial 7

You can also try signature limo, based at the Newark Airport Marriott....they're very nice. Didn't use them, but they went out of their way to help me when I needed transportation at the last minute (they didn't have accessible vehicles....)

I am really not a fan of Yelp or any review site. I automatically toss very negative reviews, super stellar ones (unless they're of 5 star hotels...or written by me...LOL:D) I also look at the number of reviews someone has posted. If, say on Yelp or Trip Advisor the person has posted 1 review, I skip it..

that said, you're fine with any of the 3 services you mentioned, or even Signature. I agree though with smeyer, MANY car services will pay a hotel to be 'recommended..."

Just used Dial 7 from JFK to my office in the Bronx Thursday morning. We have a corporate account and use them a lot.

We used to use Carmel all the time. Maybe it is just me but the cars seemed to be a little dirtier and the drivers a little sloppier than the Dial 7 operation. Their service seemed to have slipped SLIGHTLY over the last couple of years. But they are still a very credible operation and would provide good service from NJ to Manhattan.

We also use Secaucus Taxi a lot on the NJ side. It is convenient and reasonably priced on the NJ side. Their website very often has specials if you book through the website or mention the special if you call. http://www.secaucustaxi.com/

Edited by greatam

I to have been trying to find recommendations. I know I don't want to use a taxi. A friend whose children live in Manhattan uses dial 7. I figure people are more apt to write negative comments. I have been looking for positive comments for places that would take care of my luggage after we disembark. Our flight is not until 8pm. Of course I'm not finding many.

Could you provide more details?

I'm guessing you are cruising from Manhattan and flying out of La Guardia? Or perhaps Newark or JFK? Are you staying in a Manhattan hotel at some point?

There is only one place to store luggage - Schwartz Travel with 2 locations in Manhattan. If you stay in a Manhattan hotel, you might be able to arrange to store luggage there after the cruise.

We can make more recommendations after you decide on the logistics of your post cruise day.

We are flying into LGA on 3/22 and fly out on 3/30. We are staying at the Comfort Inn. It is just 2 blocks from pier 88. So we will walk to the pier on Sunday morning. Just need to get to and from the airport.

You can book a car service or just take a cab.

Check the New York City map for the Comfort Inn. The one on West 44th St. is 3 avenues and several streets away from pier 88. The distance appears to be about a mile.

Two weeks ago I was on Kayak and saw it was $128. But by the time I signed into their site the advance purchase price was already gone. So I called directly and got the AARP price of $143.10 before tax. So I glad to find this because we were originally booked at the Club Quarters WTC for $152+tax. And I would have had to paid for a taxi.

There is also an EconoLodge one more block up and one street over.