question on cheese

kenorus

Coming in on a flight from Canada and was asked by an owner in the turks that is from Ontario to bring her some cheese. Now I do realize that most ships do not allow you to bring food off the ship but she didn't think that this would be a problem. It would be packaged and not opened, does anyone know if this would be a problem.

Coming in on a flight from Canada and was asked by an owner in the turks that is from Ontario to bring her some cheese. Now I do realize that most ships do not allow you to bring food off the ship but she didn't think that this would be a problem. It would be packaged and not opened, does anyone know if this would be a problem.

Make sure you declare it when landing in the US.

Yes hal says not an issue with bringing it on. I will put it in my suitcase. I have yet to ask about the us border, I usually just pack it in my bag, I will call them to make sure.

When we were in Curacao on our recent cruise, we bought three rounds of Dutch gouda...sealed in wax as they always do. I asked the woman in the shop if I could bring it into the USA and she said I could. I packed it carefully in our checked luggage. Declared it on my Customs Form and was concerned it might not "fly". But the Customs Agent didn't say a thing.

We have been bringing back uncut rounds of wax coated Edam and Gouda from the Dutch islands since the early '70s with no problem. They cannot be cut open, must be whole. We brought back 2 from Bonaire and 1 from Curacao on our November Maasdam cruise, declared them and passed thru agriculture inspection and customs once again without any trouble.

Yes hal says not an issue with bringing it on. I will put it in my suitcase. I have yet to ask about the us border, I usually just pack it in my bag, I will call them to make sure.

It probably wouldn't be a problem, especially if it is hard cheese. It just has to be put on the form.

Yes it is not a problem to bring it, as it is pre-packaged. Why mail it when we are sailing there. They own Jacks Shack our favourite stop in the turks, just so happens that janet use to live very near us and I asked her what we could bring and that is what she wanted. Glad no issues!

We have been bringing back uncut rounds of wax coated Edam and Gouda from the Dutch islands since the early '70s with no problem. They cannot be cut open, must be whole. We brought back 2 from Bonaire and 1 from Curacao on our November Maasdam cruise, declared them and passed thru agriculture inspection and customs once again without any trouble.

Our Friends, plus DH & I always bring back a whole Gouda cheese from Bonaire, Aruba or any Dutch Island..Our Friends bring back a large one & we bring back the smaller ones.. Always list it on our Custom's form..I cut it up into chunks & freeze it.. Just last weekend took the last chunk out of the Freezer from over a year ago.. We look forward to an afternoon snack of Cheese & Pepperoni .. Guess it's time to book another cruise..:)

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I've brought cheese back from Italy many times. It is my understanding that hard cheese is OK but not the soft cheese. I stopped returning with Parmigiano Reggiano when COSTCO started selling very high quality, genuine Parmigiano at near Italian prices. I now save the luggage space for quality wines.

We tested the system several years ago with a 3-kilogram (6.6 pounds) wheel ($4/pound equivalent) of Gouda from St Maartens without any issues. Knowing the system, we brought back four wheels of Gouda from St Maartens on the next trip. HAL stored it in their chiller for us and returned it to our stateroom the night before disembarkation. There were no issues when declared for US Customs since it is sealed in wax.

We kept the nearly 27 pounds of Gouda in an icy bathtub in our post-cruise hotel and then placed them in our checked luggage for the eight hour trip home. All of the wheels were still cool when we arrived home

The latter was two years ago and we still have one wheel in the refrigerator.

Large wedges of the Gouda were great gifts with the price here @ $15/pound.

We purchased the large wheels at a shop 50 yards from the pier just behind the tourist information counter on the right in St Maartens. The shop was similar to a very small 7-Eleven and the cheese was in a soda-type cooler in the back of the store. Pre-arranging with the Front Desk, we dropped off the cheese in a roll-on bag but we could have kept it in our bathtub with ice if we preferred.

Gouda mac-n-cheese is delicious!!!!

Edited by Crew News