Pacific Princess Vancouver departure

Ga Peach

We are considering an Alaska cruise departing from Vancouver, Canada. We live on the east coast of USA. Are there advantages to flying Seattle vs Vancouver?

If you fly to Seattle, is there a Princess transfer to Vancouver?

Suggestions/ comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Ann

We are researching this same cruise scenario. Looks like the least expensive air travel is round trip to SEA. There is Amtrak service from Seattle to Vancouver and vice versa. The hours of departure are very early so maybe not convenient.

The airfare to Vancouver appears to be more expensive and involve connections that make it a long day. Delta offers nonstop service a couple of days a week to Vancouver from Atlanta.

You need to contact Princess or your travel agent about their transfers. I know in the past they have offered this service.

Hope this helps. Maybe we will get some answers from other cruise critic members that will shed some light on how to handle this.

Also it is about a 4 hour,give or take, ride from Seattle to Vancouver. They do not make any stops except for the border crossing. Also no fruits or vegetables are allowed to cross the border. SO if you want to take any for the trip it should be eaten before the crossing. From the border to the departure area is about 1.5 hours. We have went to Vancouver several times thru Seattle but have finally decided to go directly to Vancouver in the future. I have found tickets for September to Vancouver that were actually cheaper than flying into Seattle. It took sometime and searching but did finally find them. By the way we go to visit our daughter who lives just a short distance form the piers. Spend some time there and enjoy this great city.

SEA to downtown Vancouver is about 3 hours plus any potential border waits. So in reality, on a bus transfer, you're probably looking at 4 hours.

If you decide to fly into Vancouver (YVR), you can take a taxi into downtown for $35-40...or there is a rapid transit system right at the airport that will bring you downtown. I think you're looking at about $5/ea for this option and it takes about 30 minutes.

If your schedule/transportation permits I would allow a day to visit Vancouver as well, before or after your cruise.

Downtown Vancouver is very walkable, and the nice thing is that the pier is right there - a short $10 taxi from pretty much any downtown hotel (and even walkable with a suitcase from some hotels).

Enjoy!

Consider renting a car in Seattle and driving up. If you want to take a few extra days, take the Black Ball ferry to Victoria and then the BC Ferry up toward Vancouver - very scenic. Or you can drive up the mainland. Unless you keep the car several days (and go over to Victoria) probably cheaper than flying direct.

Lots to do in Vancouver, so try to spend at least a day or two there.

It is pretty near impossible to fly into Seattle in time to take the train up on the same day. When our son did it he stayed overnight at the airport and caught the train the next morning.

We are considering an Alaska cruise departing from Vancouver, Canada. We live on the east coast of USA. Are there advantages to flying Seattle vs Vancouver?

If you want to spend a few days in Seattle first, a good idea is to fly into Seattle and stay at the Best Western Executive Inn: http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/WA/Seattle-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Executive-Inn/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=48068&group=false&srcPage=SelectHotel&isMapOpen=false&selectedHotels=

and take the Quick Shuttle: http://www.quickcoach.com/

The QuickShuttle has two stops in Seattle--the first is Sea-Tac airport itself, and the second is the Best Western Executive Inn. It will take you from Seattle to the Vancouver Airport, many of the downtown Vancouver hotels, and the Canada Place cruise terminal. I recommend, however, that you spend the night before your cruise in Canada, so you don't have to deal with problems at the border.

If it's much cheaper to fly into Seattle, definitely fly into Seattle. You'll have no problem getting to Vancouver.

If you fly to Seattle, is there a Princess transfer to Vancouver?

Whether or not there is a Princess transfer to Vancouver, the QuickShuttle will take you to the Cruise Terminal. This said, I wouldn't do it the day of the cruise--you'd be better off going up the night before. Their website is available at http://www.quickcoach.com/ , but they won't have their fares and availability for the summer until the end of the month, so if you get an error, that's why.

There are a few things you should know about the QuickShuttle:

1. They are great for people with wheelchairs--I have to use one, and they are my transportation of choice when traveling to Vancouver. You'll need to let them know if someone in your party is in a wheelchair, but they have lifts and do a very good job for their wheelchair passengers.

2. There is a restroom on board, but no food or drink available for purchase. I would recommend bringing snacks and drinks, but I'd recommend packaged snacks, unless you plan to eat whatever you bring with you before you reach the border.

3. You will have to get off the bus and take your luggage through customs, but it isn't too bad--I've had to deal with Vancouver Airport customs, and of the two, I'll take the bus anytime.

Other options for transferring to and from Vancouver/Seattle are Amtrak who operate two trains in either direction daily and well as a number of busses, there is also the Bolt Bus. Many people rent a car and drive the 120 miles; the drive time is about 3 hrs to which you need to add about 1 hr for border lines...and perhaps a bit longer on holiday weekends.