Harwich to Stansted airport

Crol

We're sailing on the Infinity repositioning cruise in April, ending in Harwich, England in May. We need to get to Stansted airport outside of London from there. There is no MegaBus connection, and BritRail wants $192 per person for the ride. Since we hear Stansted is only about an hour away from Harwich, that is an outrageous amount of money! Does anybody know of a cheaper alternative? CrolRose

We're sailing on the Infinity repositioning cruise in April, ending in Harwich, England in May. We need to get to Stansted airport outside of London from there. There is no MegaBus connection, and BritRail wants $192 per person for the ride. Since we hear Stansted is only about an hour away from Harwich, that is an outrageous amount of money! Does anybody know of a cheaper alternative? CrolRose

This is not an easy route and will take 2 or even 3 changes.

This said I can't understand how you have got a price for this in April and the UK rail system is only bookable 3 months in advance.

I always find that the best site for rail tickets is http://www.eastcoast.co.uk

The price at the moment is £65.80 ($100) which is about half working on the last bookable date of 7th March

Hope this helps

Stuart

I think you need to recheck the price which you are being quoted for the rail trip. The price shown on my search today is £45 standard Class or £70 for First Class.

I think you should also check with Celebrity. When we berthed at Harwich following a transatlantic cruise there was a dedicated train waiting at the dock to take passengers to London Liverpool Street. That basically operated on a pay on the train basis but they accepted tickets we had pre- booked. Liverpool Street is also the station from which you travel to Stanstead

If you are having to use the usual timetabled services rather than a special cruise train then you will be faced with an extra change at Manningtree on the way to London.

Bearing in mind that you will have luggage with you it might be worth arranging a pre booked taxi to meet you at Harwich, British Airport taxis are quoting £75.

If you decide to use a private car, I highly recommend Harwich Taxis. For our recent TA on the Infinity out of Harwich, we pre-booked with them (they were very responsive via email) and their driver met us at Heathrow very early in the morning after our overnight flight from the U.S. He drove us to Harwich, and the next day, we used them again to get from the hotel to the pier.

http://www.harwichtaxis.com/

You could take the regular train from Harwich to London Liverpool Street station -- pick up the non-stop train from there to Stansted? Like a three hour journey with all the changes. Should be less the £ 30 total per person.

That would be one option. A car service, like Smith's For Airports, would be another option. Maybe less than £ 100 total???

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Have a look at a map and you will see that taking the train into Liverpool Street station and then another train out to Stansted is doing 2 sides of a triangle. Add to that the hassle of changing trains and transporting your luggage and you are looking at a fair amount of activity.

However, pre-booking a car to meet you and take you direct to Stansted entails only travelling one side of the triangle. You won't have to move your luggage several times, either.

If two or more of you are travelling, the car works out at a similar cost to the train, adn will give you an easier journey.

I have been looking at this also for our cruise in August. british-airport-transfers dot co dot uk are quoting £70 for a private car transfer from Harwich to Stanstead airport. 51 miles journey time 66 minutes.

Sounds good to me. (maybe not the cheapest but simplest)

I foolishly hadn't realised that Harwich was so awkward to get to when I booked this cruise and thought that we would have no flights this time, but have found the easiest option is to fly from Glasgow to Stanstead, rather than getting the train into London and back out again.