Bringing Wine On Board

stacymills99

This is my first time sailing Carnival. So after reading Carnival's policy, it says you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine in your carry on with you, and that there is a corkage fee for the dining room. My question is, can I bring it with me and drink it in my room to get around the corkage fee, or do they take it from you and make you drink it in the dining room.

This is my first time sailing Carnival. So after reading Carnival's policy, it says you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine in your carry on with you, and that there is a corkage fee for the dining room. My question is, can I bring it with me and drink it in my room to get around the corkage fee, or do they take it from you and make you drink it in the dining room.

You are allowed one 750ml bottle per adult and it must be brought on in your carryon.

You may certainly keep it in your room and drink it at your leisure. I also ask the room steward to make sure I always have two clean glasses so i can take a glass to dinner with me each evening.

Edited by GTO-Girl

You would only be charged the corkage fee if you bring the whole bottle to the dinning room. As long as you keep the bottle in your cabin no corkage fee. Just pour yourself a glass in your cabin and bring it with you to dinner.

I bring a cork screw on the ship... pop the cork myself in the cabin before dinner and bring the bottle to the MDR .... never had a issue and they have always held the bottle for us if we had some left for the next night...

We always bring our wine on board and pop it open (no corkage charge) in our cabin. I rarely travel without my Swiss Army Knife (packed in my checked luggage of course) with a built-in cork screw so I don't have to wait until our cabin steward brings us one. I always ask the steward to please have our ice bucket full and keep our bottle of white wine in it. Our other bottle of wine is a red. When it comes time to go to the MDR, I just pour a glass (which I also get from the cabin steward and which I rinse out every night) and take it with me. No one knows if you brought it in from a bar or your cabin and I don't really think anyone cares. Two bottles of wine for a 7-day cruise is more than enough for the DH and I as we're not big drinkers. We're lightweights!:D

KP from CT, I've never tried boxed wine...do you like it as much as bottled wine? I'm going to have to give it a try. I've read that "Black Box" or something like that is the best. Have you tried that brand? By-the-way, I'm not gonna ask you how you know about box wine making it through security in a checked bag. LOL! :)

Edited by mousey

We always bring our wine on board and pop it open (no corkage charge) in our cabin. I rarely travel without my Swiss Army Knife (packed in my checked luggage of course) with a built-in cork screw so I don't have to wait until our cabin steward brings us one. I always ask the steward to please have our ice bucket full and keep our bottle of white wine in it. Our other bottle of wine is a red. When it comes time to go to the MDR, I just pour a glass (which I also get from the cabin steward and which I rinse out every night) and take it with me. No one knows if you brought it in from a bar or your cabin and I don't really think anyone cares. Two bottles of wine for a 7-day cruise is more than enough for the DH and I as we're not big drinkers. We're lightweights!:D

KP from CT, I've never tried boxed wine...do you like it as much as bottled wine? I'm going to have to give it a try. I've read that "Black Box" or something like that is the best. Have you tried that brand? By-the-way, I'm not gonna ask you how you know about box wine making it through security in a checked bag. LOL! :)

Honestly, for the cruise, we LOVE the Franzia Sangria. We have the steward leave us ice twice a day and it's just a refreshing drink to enjoy on the balcony. We really do like it.

Yeah, I guess we've been lucky. Although, I have heard many others have gotten it through also. Maybe cardboard doesn't show up on the x-ray scanner?:confused:

Some people go as far as to take the bladder out of the box and then put it back together in the cabin. I just leave the whole box intact, in my suitcase.

Hoping I am not jinxing myself for this year. I would be DEVASTATED if it got confiscated.:eek::eek:

Yes, I have also heard Black Box is REALLY good, but when you find something you really like, you stick with it. I like the Franzia.:D

Ok this may sound really LOW class, so please, don't JUDGE! lol. The wines that I like the most, especially Sangria......comes in a bottle with a screw top. IF we brought a bottle on board per person (5 of us going) and we took a bottle to the dining room to drink with dinner, since it is screw top, and we don't need a cork screw....first off would that be allowed, and secondly, will they still charge a cork fee since we need to cork screw?

Ok this may sound really LOW class, so please, don't JUDGE! lol. The wines that I like the most, especially Sangria......comes in a bottle with a screw top. IF we brought a bottle on board per person (5 of us going) and we took a bottle to the dining room to drink with dinner, since it is screw top, and we don't need a cork screw....first off would that be allowed, and secondly, will they still charge a cork fee since we need to cork screw?

Corkage fee no longer relates to an actual cork or corkscrew in a wine bottle:)

It is a charge for supplying correct glass opening and pouring,decanting and chilling if necessary but in today's reality it is to make up some of the loss to any restaurant not selling you a wine that has a mark up:)

The only reason you can take wine is because cruiselines as well as restaurants cannot stock a large enough variety and vintage of wine to satisfy all Dinners and wine is such a big part of dinning for many people:)

You made me laugh! Thanks! On my most recent cruise I took a $5 bottle of wine I grabbed at the last minute. Imagine my surprise when I tried to open it and the darn thing had a cork!!?? :eek: It was good too!:D