Best Transportation to a Yankees game

Taylor95

We will be staying in Secaucus for a couple nights pre-cruise. Was considering going to a Yankees game & need help knowing what the best transportation would be to & from & approximate cost (there will be four people).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The way I would go to the stadium without a car is by rail. Take NJT Secacus station to Penn Station (10 min.ride). Transfer to the uptown A or C Train to 59th st. Station. Transfer to the Bronx D train to Yankee Stadium (25 min. from Penn Sta.).

If you have never been to Penn. Station, it can be a little confusing, just ask for directions from the NJT train to NYTA train. The train could get crowded, especially when you transfer to the D train (you might have to stand). The cost is around $6.00 per person each way. Be careful, keep your belongings secure, especially on the train. You can google a transit map to see the routes the trains take. Good luck, enjoy the game.

The way I would go to the stadium without a car is by rail. Take NJT Secacus station to Penn Station (10 min.ride). Transfer to the uptown A or C Train to 59th st. Station. Transfer to the Bronx D train to Yankee Stadium (25 min. from Penn Sta.).

If you have never been to Penn. Station, it can be a little confusing, just ask for directions from the NJT train to NYTA train. The train could get crowded, especially when you transfer to the D train (you might have to stand). The cost is around $6.00 per person each way. Be careful, keep your belongings secure, especially on the train. You can google a transit map to see the routes the trains take. Good luck, enjoy the game.

Thank you! Getting around New York for a first timer is overwhelming!

Taylor95 ~

Skrufy's directions will get you there & back. (Just one nit-picky correction: I've never heard the subway referred to as the "NYTA train." The agency that runs subways and buses in New York City is the MTA [Metropolitan Transit Authority]; the subway is always just called "the subway.")

Before you board the first subway train at Penn Station, purchase a $20 MetroCard from a vending machine or ticket window near the entrance to the subway. This will enable all four people in your party to ride the subway to and from the stadium, as the fare is $2.50 per person.

The following pages on the MTA website might be helpful:

http://new.mta.info/nyct

http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/

Incidentally, there are several (generally at least 4 or 5) trains per hour between Secaucus Junction and New York Penn Station. You can check timetables here:

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Edited by Post Captain

Taylor95 ~

Skrufy's directions will get you there & back. (Just one nit-picky correction: I've never heard the subway referred to as the "NYTA train." The agency that runs subways and buses in New York City is the MTA [Metropolitan Transit Authority]; the subway is always just called "the subway.")

Before you board the first subway train at Penn Station, purchase a $20 MetroCard from a vending machine or ticket window near the entrance to the subway. This will enable all four people in your party to ride the subway to and from the stadium, as the fare is $2.50 per person.

The following pages on the MTA website might be helpful:

http://new.mta.info/nyct

http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/

Incidentally, there are several (generally at least 4 or 5) trains per hour between Secaucus Junction and New York Penn Station. You can check timetables here:

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Thank you for all the great info!

While we started out at Grand Central Station, we took the Subway on. Friday Night before our cruise to Yankee Stadium. It was on the D Train in the middle of rush hour with my nephew in a wheelchair. My daughter and I stood and we were able to get my nephew into the train too. After a few stops...no joke. People were climbing over him and one person actually tried to sit on his lap. trip back was far less traumatically. when we think about now we laugh and call it our NYC Adventure in Transportaion!

You want the IND subway line for the D train not the IRT subway line both are at Penn Station. If you just look for subway you might get confused. Look specifically for D train signage.

are you trying to confuse this person? the D train runs on 6th avenue. penn station is between 7th ave(IRT the numbered trains and the N and R-these last two are BMT trains) and eight avenue(IND the lettered trains).. There will be no D train signs. The first directions above which tell them to take the a or c on eight avenue and then change explain how to do this.....

if you ask I can easy explain BMT IND & IRT.

My suggestion would be to get more creative for these out-of-towners for their once in a lifetime trip to Yankee Stadium on the subway. I know I would rather spend a little more time on this trip if I could get a seat. When I rode the subways regularly, I was always amazed at how folks would get off a local en masse for a chance of catching a crowded express train to perhaps get themselves somewhere just a little faster.

How far downtown would they have to get on the D train to have a chance of getting seats? Could they take a cab from NY Penn Station to the D train at 14th, 23rd, or 34th St? If they just got on the A or C train at NY Penn Station, would they have a chance of getting seats, particularly on the C local? If so, they could ride to 145th St and transfer there to the D train to stand two stops over to Yankee Stadium. Any hints about first or last car being less crowded or other cars where a mass of folks get off at a particular station?

are you trying to confuse this person? the D train runs on 6th avenue. penn station is between 7th ave(IRT the numbered trains and the N and R-these last two are BMT trains) and eight avenue(IND the lettered trains).. There will be no D train signs. The first directions above which tell them to take the a or c on eight avenue and then change explain how to do this.....

if you ask I can easy explain BMT IND & IRT.

If the OP follows a sign to "subway" without noticing the trains at that particular place, which ARE Listed in little circles, so I am confused by you saying there is no signage. I thought I was going crazy about the D train being at Penn Station, so I went to Hopstop, and put in Penn Station to Yankee Stadium. I don't know if this is the best way, I never go to Yankee Stadium because I'm a Mets fan. I was merely pointing out not to get mixed up between IRT and IND at Penn Station. The OP can easily exit Penn Station at 7th Avenue and 34th and get to the subway. It is literally across the street.

OK, so here is hopstop directions. I c&p directly from Hop Stop

Start out going East on W 33RD ST (PENN PLZ)

3 minKeep moving ahead on W 33RD ST1 minEntrance near intersection of W 33RD ST and AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS (6TH AVE)

D

6 minTake the 4:22 PM D Train from 34 Street - Herald Sq station heading to NORWOOD - 205 ST (View Transit Map)

2 minPass 42 Street - Bryant Park2 minPass 47-50 Streets - Rockefeller Center2 minPass 7 Avenue2 minPass 59 Street - Columbus Circle8 minPass 125 Street4 minPass 145 Street2 minPass 155 Street2 minGet off at 161 St - Yankee Stadium

2 minExit near intersection of E 161ST ST and RIVER AVE

3 minStart out going West on E 161ST ST

Arrive at 1 E 161ST ST

I really appreciate all of the suggestions, but have to say it's confusing/overwhelming for a first timer. I'm wondering how expensive it would be to just use a car service or cab? I know it would be more, but sounds much easier ;-)

I really appreciate all of the suggestions, but have to say it's confusing/overwhelming for a first timer. I'm wondering how expensive it would be to just use a car service or cab? I know it would be more, but sounds much easier ;-)

From Secaucus, you'll pay more than $80 each way. It'll be a nightmare to locate your car service when you leave the stadium. If you're open to it, you can rent a car and drive. I live just 3 miles from Secaucus and I usually drive, if I'm not already in NYC before heading a game. And we go to LOTS of games each year. It'll cost you $30 for parking in the lot right across the street from the stadium, and the bridge will cost you $12. If you plan to drive, I can provide you the best route that will minimize traffic.

If you can swing it, really try to see a game....it's an incredible experience at a very vibrant stadium. I've been to over 20 baseball stadiums across the country, and nothing compares to the energy in the Bronx.

honestly I take this subway all the time. when you get to penn station follow the signs to the uptown A train. at 59th street change to the d train its on the same track as the A train. they run every few minutes. then follow the crowd as they get off at the stadium. its probably faster than driving. this makes it a short walk at penn station. its only confusing when people who don't do this put in their .02. you will find the people friendly lots friendlier than the drivers.

Taylor95 ~

Don't let them scare you. Riding the subway isn't rocket science. Thousands (indeed, tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands) of New Yorkers & visitors do it every day, and I assure you, very few of them are rocket scientists!:D

However, another thought occurs to me. You could take a regular Metro North commuter train from Grand Central Terminal to Yankee Stadium (aka The Place Next Door)--no need to bother with the subways at all:

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/yankeestadium.htm

(However, you will still have to make your way from Penn Station to Grand Central, & vice versa.)

Not being a Yankees fan (just a humble spectator of the spectacle known as the Metropolitans of Prospect Park:o), I've never done this--but I assure you, most Yankees fans aren't rocket scientists either.:D

Taylor95 ~

Don't let them scare you. Riding the subway isn't rocket science. Thousands (indeed, tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands) of New Yorkers & visitors do it every day, and I assure you, very few of them are rocket scientists!:D

However, another thought occurs to me. You could take a regular Metro North commuter train from Grand Central Terminal to Yankee Stadium (aka The Place Next Door)--no need to bother with the subways at all:

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/yankeestadium.htm

(However, you will still have to make your way from Penn Station to Grand Central, & vice versa.)

Not being a Yankees fan (just a humble spectator of the spectacle known as the Metropolitans of Prospect Park:o), I've never done this--but I assure you, most Yankees fans aren't rocket scientists either.:D

you know that since Yankee Stadium was rebuilt the subway stops are right next to the Stadium and the Metro North is across the highway and a long walk....

LOL You know if you make it to grand central all you need to do is take the 4 train(no changes) right to the stadium it runs every 4 minutes!

I was going to add how many people ride the subway on average each day but that may scare you!

Edited by smeyer418

If you can swing it, really try to see a game....it's an incredible experience at a very vibrant stadium. I've been to over 20 baseball stadiums across the country, and nothing compares to the energy in the Bronx.

I have only been to two stadiums - Pittsburgh (I'm a Pirates fan) & Cincinnati. I love baseball & think it will be awesome to visit the Yankee stadium. I don't think the directions will be quite so overwhelming when I'm actually there. We can take the NJ transit bus right outside our hotel into the city, get to grand central & then hopefully a direct trip from there. Thanks everyone!

I have only been to two stadiums - Pittsburgh (I'm a Pirates fan) & Cincinnati. I love baseball & think it will be awesome to visit the Yankee stadium. I don't think the directions will be quite so overwhelming when I'm actually there. We can take the NJ transit bus right outside our hotel into the city, get to grand central & then hopefully a direct trip from there. Thanks everyone!

Doesn't the NJ transit bus go to port authority bus terminal in Manhattan? If so you then have to walk about 3/4 of a mile or take a cab to Grand Central..

or you take the eight avenue subway right in front of the Port authority(ok its a block uptown) "A" train uptown to 59th street change on the same track(not across the Platform) right to the "D" train and Yankee Stadium...as opposed to going to Grand central...

On a week day 5 million rides are taken on subway every day. On a weekend is only 3 million...

the BTW the commuter train fare is $12.50 pp round trip on Metro North. Plus $10-15 per cab each way....

http://ec0.mta.info/mnr/tickets/showstickets.cfm?rt_switch=1

vs. $5.00 pp round trip on the subway....(shorter walk too).

Edited by smeyer418

http://mapq.st/1lFtb53

aerial photo may help

the subway is at the lower right of the stadium marked by a train at 161st street and the commuter train is at the left on the other side of the major deegan highway

opps its not on the other side of the highway. This aerial photo shows the old Yankee Stadium when it was still there. Its not there anymore but the metroNorth station is shown at 153rd street...they say its 10 minute walk...

you know that since Yankee Stadium was rebuilt the subway stops are right next to the Stadium and the Metro North is across the highway and a long walk....

Nope, didn't know that, since I'm not a fan of the Pinstripers But that's why some of us refer to the new Yankee Stadium as "The Place Next Door":p (a la Steve Somers:D).

LOL You know if you make it to grand central all you need to do is take the 4 train(no changes) right to the stadium it runs every 4 minutes!

Didn't know that either. But now the OP does!:)

I was going to add how many people ride the subway on average each day but that may scare you!

Sid, don't scare the guy any more than he is already!

This Metro North web page --

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/yankees/yankee_service.htm

-- says:

Travel like a pro to the Yankees' home games by taking our fast, frequent and convenient "Train to the Game" game-day service, which offers plenty of Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Line trains to and from our Yankees-E. 153rd Street Station.

"Travel like a pro"? Are they implying that that's the way Mr. Jeter gets to the stadium?:D

BTW, I notice that that web page refers to 2013 Yankees "Train to the Game" Game-Day Service.

2013???

honestly I take this subway all the time. when you get to penn station follow the signs to the uptown A train. at 59th street change to the d train its on the same track as the A train. they run every few minutes. then follow the crowd as they get off at the stadium. its probably faster than driving. this makes it a short walk at penn station. its only confusing when people who don't do this put in their .02. you will find the people friendly lots friendlier than the drivers.

OP, follow the directions that smeyer is giving. That's how we go, and is how we always tell people from out of town to go. They are always surprised by how easy it is.

• 4 weeks later...
Received my Yankee vs Red Sox tickets in the mail today & have smeyer directions printed. Thanks everyone!

Just one caveat on smeyer's directions. If you're traveling on a weekday late afternoon to early evening, the north bound D train does not stop at the Yankee Stadium-161st St. station during weekday evening rush hours (4pm to 7 pm) . You'll have to get off the D at 145th St. and transfer to the B.

I remember the first time I encountered that a few years ago it surprised the heck out of me. (I've been taking the subway to Yankee Stadium for at least 55 years but I guess I had never taken the D on a weekday at rush hour until a few years ago.)