Earliest time off ship in Civi

bugeater2

What would be the earliest one could expect to be off of Epic in Civi if the posted port time is 6:00am. Also, when does the first port bus leave the ship for the train station.

This would be a normal port day and not a disembark day.

I am trying to determine which Coliseum Underground Tour time to book. If I can get to the train station by 7:00am, I would have 3 different trains to get me to there in time for the earliest 9:20am tour time.

Thanks for your help.

Would you say I should easily be able to catch one of the following trains.

Thanks

Yes, depending on what time they start allowing you off the ship. The 7:05 might be questionable but you should almost certainly be able to get one of the next two.

Our plan, once our cruise is over, is to catch the train to Termini and then travel to Venice. We know we have to make reservations from Rome to Venice on the train. I'm thinking the noon train should give us plenty of time to get from Civi to Termini. I'd hate to make an earlier reservation and not make it from the ship in time. Is noon too conservative?

Our plan, once our cruise is over, is to catch the train to Termini and then travel to Venice. We know we have to make reservations from Rome to Venice on the train. I'm thinking the noon train should give us plenty of time to get from Civi to Termini. I'd hate to make an earlier reservation and not make it from the ship in time. Is noon too conservative?

Strictly speaking, you do not have to make an advanced reservation for the Rome-Venice train; it's just that you can probably get a cheaper rate booking in advance. And considering that we were able to get to FCO from Civi by train before noon, I think you would be pretty safe with the noon train from Termini.

That said, certain rates (I'm not going to say all, as I'm sure there are some rates that can't be changed) will allow you to change your train and apply the rate paid for the original ticket to the new one. This is exactly what happened to us on our Italy trip - had a ticket booked to La Spezia on a train running along the coast, but then had to stop in Florence (long story), so changed to the Frecciarossa, and was able to change and only had to pay the difference in the 2 tickets (11 euros). So, worst-case scenario is that if when you get to Civi train station you realize you'll be too late to catch your onward train (and you need to allow a minimum of 10-15 minutes in Termini, it's massive), you can have them change the ticket for you.

You have asked several different questions. If you do dock on time (6am) you should be able to walk off by 7 (possibly as early as 6:30). But as to the internal port buses, there is just no way to know when they will start running (and how long you may have to wait until they leave). And the bus will only take you as far as the bus stop near the Port Entrance....which is not the train station. To get to the train station you will have to walk a little less then 1/2 mile...(I just measured this distance on Google Maps since many keep asking about the distance). The walk is all flat, and pretty nice, but you still have to go the distance. We should add that unlike many ports (especially Livorno) the Port of Civitavecchia is very cruiser friendly. They have even marked out a walkway from the various piers to the port entrance. Depending on your docking position, and your love of walking, this can be another option. DW and I sometimes enjoy walking from the ship, rather then waiting for the shuttle bus. It is not necessarily faster, but after being cooped up on a ship we find in fun to walk (if the weather is good).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner