Which Ruins to Visit? Jewell Western Carib

BJDownUnder

Hi All

I'm taking the Jewell out of Nola and I wanted opinions on whether the ruins in Costa Maya or Belize are better to visit. I have been to Tulum but want to take my father to see ruins in either Belize or Costa Maya

which would you recommend?

Bret

I have been to the Chacchoben ruins out of Costa Maya as well as Altun Ha out of Belize. I preferred Chacchoben but it could have been because the guide we had was very knowledgeable of the area's history. The guide in Belize was more focused on the disparities of the classes in Belize and then left us to our own devices once we got to the ruins.

The folks who went to the Lamanai ruins in Belize loved it there. Trips was longer but more to the ruins.

We have cruised this itinerary twice and both times visited Lamanai. The first time we used the ships excursion the second we went with an independant. Both were wonderful, though we did get more time on site with the independant operator. It is definitely worth the time to see.

They all have their pros and cons.

You probably can't go wrong with any of the ruins, they all have stories to tell.

In Belize, we also visited Altun Ha with a boat ride on the River Wallace.

Our guide was great at the ruins and we climbed one of them.

It was neat to see allspice trees and learn about the Mayans.

We really enjoyed the River Wallace Boat ride.

Lots of critters: Gators, Monkeys, Birds, Iguanas, Manatees.

A few homes, a few people and kids

We met the Belizian Coast Guard, very cool.

It was our "educational/historical" port that day and delivered all for sure.

The bus ride to the ruins was also nicely narrated by 2 local gals, they were professional, knowledgable and fun.

They passed currency, gave us a bottle of water, cashew wine sample.

We have visited both Lamanai in Belize and Kohunlich in Costa Maya. Both excursions were very long but well worth it.

When we were there the weather was very warm and humid. Be sure to take bottled water along.

You might enjoy viewing pictures my wife took and made into slide shows for her website at the links below.

Happy Cruising!

They all have their pros and cons.

You probably can't go wrong with any of the ruins, they all have stories to tell.

In Belize, we also visited Altun Ha with a boat ride on the River Wallace.

Our guide was great at the ruins and we climbed one of them.

It was neat to see allspice trees and learn about the Mayans.

We really enjoyed the River Wallace Boat ride.

Lots of critters: Gators, Monkeys, Birds, Iguanas, Manatees.

A few homes, a few people and kids

We met the Belizian Coast Guard, very cool.

It was our "educational/historical" port that day and delivered all for sure.

The bus ride to the ruins was also nicely narrated by 2 local gals, they were professional, knowledgable and fun.

They passed currency, gave us a bottle of water, cashew wine sample.

2nd this we did the ruins and Belize river safari last yr threw ncl loved it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are also going on the western Caribbean itinerary and we are going to do Altun Ha in Belize ---

My 9 year old is actually very interested in seeing Mayan ruins but I don't want a super duper long day like Lamanai.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did Lamanai in January.

There is always mention of how long the day is.

I would like to clear that up a bit.

Yes it is a 7.5 hour tour. However it is very well run, and is really like 3 tours in one.

I went to Chichen Itza in Mexico and THAT was a long drawn out miserable day.

Long bus ride, stops at tourist traps and unbelievable crowds.

Lamanai was the exact opposite.

The first part of the day is a panoramic bus tour of the city. You drive through the city from the port to get to the river. It is only about an hour ride which flies by as the guide is pointing out things of interest and explaining life and culture in Belize.

Then you arrive at the river and are treated to a very fun speedboat ride up the river.

The boats are fast and it's great fun to ride through the mangrove jungle. The drivers stop several times to point out interesting things along the river, including an old order Amish community and wild life.

We stopped to see a spider Monkey. I happened to have a banana in my bag so I offered it to see if we could entice the monkey to come closer. Which it did. Right up to the boat. Great picture ops and a lot of fun to watch a wild monkey in his natural habitat.

Depending on the time of year there will be more or less stops for wildlife, based on what is out and about on the day you take the trip.

The speed boat ride and tour of the river lasts about an hour.

Next you arrive at the Site of the ruins. This part of the day includes a hike through the jungle to get to the ruins. It is a lovely 1km hike on good walking paths. Anyone who does not have limited mobility will have no trouble at all. One gentleman in our group had a cane and he made it..a little slower but without difficulty.

On the hike the guide tells you about the area, and the trees and plants and how they affected Maya culture. Very interesting and lovely walk.

As if all that were not enough, you then arrive at the main attraction , the ruins. There are 2 or 3 ( I can't remember which) main sites and the guide will stop and talk about each in detail. Lots of time to take pictures

At one spot the guide will give some history and then allow free time so people can explore the area a bit on their own and those who want can climb the ruins. Something that is not allowed in Mexico.

Then it is time to head back to the boats for a very fast ride back down the river, and a bit of a race with the other boats.

Once you are back you are served lunch. Buffet style which was good...not fantastic, but you don't take this tour for the food :)

And then it is back on the bus for the drive back to port. Which is fairly quick and a great time to reflect on a wonderful day enjoying the nature and beauty of Belize.

This tour is excellent value for the money spent, is extremely well organized, and does not waste time at silly tourist traps like so many others do.

It is a full day of adventure but not a long drawn out day with too much down time.

A couple of tips to make the most of it.

Make sure you bring bug spray..and use it. You will be in the jungle..there are mosquitoes. We had no trouble with bugs because we had our spray.

Bring water! again it is the jungle it is humid and hot...more or less depending on time of year..but always hot and humid.

Throw a light jacket or sweater in your back pack. Some people found it chilly on the speedboat ride on the way back with the wind off the water.

Wear running or hiking shoes ..it is the jungle! You will be walking, hiking, and boating dress appropriately.

We saw people with sandals and flipflops and one lady in high heels....they were not comfortable..but that was their own fault, not the fault of the tour.

You may get wet from the splash of the speed boat...that is part of boating, dress appropriately and throw an extra t -shirt into your bag if you don't like to be wet so you can change or put on a weatherproof jacket.

This is an excellent tour that many people do over and over because it is a wonderful experience and really 3 tours in one.

Make the most of your day in Belize and enjoy all it has to offer.

gardiner41,

Thanks for the excellent description of this tour. It will be helpful to anyone trying to decide whether its worthwhile.

My pleasure :)

I posted the same in the NCL forum and it has created quite a great conversation.

This is one tour that everyone who takes it loves it (almost everyone..there are always those who are not nature people who should not go on a nature tour who hate it)

However I find there is not a lot of detail on it so some shy away from it since it is a "long" day. Probably like me they have been trapped on some of those long tours that are not well run and mostly "tourist trap filler" and think this will be the same.

This is definately not a long drawn out day and is worth both the time and money spent.