Question Re: "IF PRICE OF OIL EXCEEDS $xxx ..."

F27TW

... If this happens and the line decides to charge each passenger the excess fee per day to cover it, how and when are you notified? And do you pay it in advance of sailing? Or at the port?

Never had this happen before, but one of the people in our party is worried about it ..

... If this happens and the line decides to charge each passenger the excess fee per day to cover it, how and when are you notified? And do you pay it in advance of sailing? Or at the port?

Never had this happen before, but one of the people in our party is worried about it ..

When Royal last imposed the fuel supplement, it was on the booking and paid as part of final payment. I would be very surprised if they imposed the fee after final payment date.

Edited by clarea

Dont worry about this. When they added a fuel surcharge a few years ago it was a PR nightmare for them. They'll find other ways to make up for that type of loss. Also, fuel prices have been pretty steady for quite a while now.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I'd be very surprised if they ever charge a fuel supplement ever again barring something catastrophic happening to the price of oil. I think they've wised up and are baking whatever they need to charge for fuel into the cruise price.

I recall paying it once as part of my cruise rate, but then the cost of oil dropped, I called and they offered OBC. I complained and asked for a refund back to my credit cad, and got it. My first cruise was in '92, so it must have been in the late 90's.

Strange oil was lower in Jan 09 than it has been in a long time.

I believe the way Royal worked the fuel supplement was based on the price of oil on something like the 15th of month preceeding the beginning a calendar quarter. If that price closed above $65 on that one day, then the fuel supplement was imposed the entire next quarter.

Several years ago Royal (and all major cruise lines) began purchasing oil based on futures. This provides a more stable pricing for them that isn't subject to market fluctuations. Because of this it would take a near disaster for them to impose a fuel supplement. Mind you, they can, it is just unlikely they will.

Hope this doesn't happen lol, I guess I never thought about it, since it has been so long since this happened my kind is at ease but this post had me worried for a second lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Dont worry about this. When they added a fuel surcharge a few years ago it was a PR nightmare for them. They'll find other ways to make up for that type of loss. Also, fuel prices have been pretty steady for quite a while now.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

This all goes back to the Spring of 2008 when Oil skyrocketed to over $100 er barrel the first time. If you remember back then,the airlines were all trying to charge fuel surcharges too.

I know that it is still in the Ts & Cs of the contract, but you can be pretty secure in the knowledge that the cruise fare you are paying is already accounting for oil costing what it does.

I believe that I actually had to pay the fuel surcharge 1 time, but as others have stated, it was a PR nightmare and since that time it has not been invoked.

The price of oil has been well over the $75 per barrel limit referenced. I have never seen the surcharge applied on any of my cruises and that is since December 2009.

As others have mentioned the one time the surcharge was implemented it was a nightmare and the cruiselines backed off of charging it again.

Edited by Eng23