How early is too early to start packing?

Jo and Rob

I have already started throwing things that I won't need before I go in my suitcase. That way, I'm not looking for my snorkel equipment, one swimsuit piece, etc...

Also, since I cruise in the fall or winter, I pack most of my things when it starts cooling off in September. I'm not going to be wearing sandals and sundresses in October.

I finish packing the week before I leave for the most part up through the last night. I try to have 95% done before the night before I leave to minimize stress and maximize sleep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and I've had an evolving packing list since I booked my cruise more than a year out. I just change it if I change my mind or get something new that I decide to bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a hanging rack that I set up a couple of weeks before we are leaving.

I start hanging the clothing I want to take, sometimes some go back in the closet and others come out, but that way by the time I am actually going to pack, all my hanging type clothes are ready for me.

I usually pack 3 or 4 days before "leaving" day. :)

I've had not packing soon enough, bite me in the butt. :eek:

My husband said we shouldn't pack til the night before. I wanted to start weeks early cause you just never know what is going to happen.

We were set to fly out on Saturday and Sail Sunday. I had thrown a few things in a laundry basket but not much on Wednesday night.

4 am on Thursday morning we were evacuated due to the major Floods 9/12 in Colorado. We lived 30 feet from the river. We had 15 mins. Lets say the kids got 3 set of clothes. Me and the hub had what we were wearing and those few things in the laundry basket is all we got, plus the dog!

We had an awesome adventure in Alaska. We travelled for 4 people for 9 nights with one duffle bag.

We wore A LOT of t-shirts and jackets we bought in AK. AND the hubby heard I told you so way too many times! :D

I'm a last minute packer and I don't use a list. I almost always forget something sure, but it's really rare I forget something actually important (can only remember one instance in recent years). The most advance planning I will do is to try and do laundry the weekend before and sometimes that doesn't even happen if I'm slammed at work.

I think my laid back attitude toward packing is a reaction against my mother's insane approach. She is one of those people that puts everything in different individual ziplocs and spends hours laying things out on the bed and would generally fly around the house in a state of panic before a trip. Really takes the fun out of the whole thing IMO.

We have 25 days until we sail and I'm itching to start packing but the cases are still in the loft waiting for Rob to get them down. Is it just me or is this the right time to start gathering bits and get those luggage labels on the cases!!

I've always said it's NEVER too early to pack!! I'm known to pack a few months out. Particularly if it's a summer cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have a "travel box" and I make a list for each trip. I start getting items together as soon as we book--usually a year ahead! I think some of the fun is in the planning and preparation. This plan does not always work, however. I once left my children's t-shirts in the closet--all of them! They did have fun picking out some "local" shirts in a discount store in Alaska--but they love to tell this story years later!

I have a travel box in the attic with things that are just used on trips: travel journal, toiletry cases, current converters, travel curling iron, etc. I also have a list of basics for each of us on my computer: medications, swimsuits and cover-ups, sweaters, belts, etc.

When planning for a winter cruise, I put the clothes I plan to take in a separate box when I swap out the closets at the end of summer.

DH starts folding his clothes and laying them out on the guest room bed about two weeks ahead of time. I do laundry the afternoon and evening before we leave and fold things out of the dryer and pack them. I've also been known to head out to the mall the morning before we leave because I decided it would be nice to have a new something or other. I thrive under pressure; DH needs to have everything done ahead of time.

Guess which of us always forgets something? Hint: the stop at CVS on the way to the ship for a hairbrush was not for me.

Years ago I realized we needed all the same items (toiletries, makeup tools, hair brushes, razors, first aid kit, etc…) for every trip, land or cruise. Over the course of a couple years, I purchased all those items so it is always ready, no need to search or remember to pack anything, the stuff is always packed.

It works well for us. I refill bottles and check expiration dates for OTC meds prior to packing. Most of the time the only purchase I make is new bottles of sunscreen.

All we need to do is select clothing/shoes/accessories for the trip. I will buy new clothing sometimes, but it has to fit into my daily life at home, no "cruise clothes". I'll make my selections and my husband his, tomorrow (Sunday), we leave next Saturday. There is no spare closet or bedroom in our house, so we assemble a rolling rack downstairs. The best parts of packing this way are there are no last minute choices packed (that never get worn), I can see where I could possibly cut down and nothing gets left behind. All the folded stuff is stacked neatly under the rack, all the costume jewelry in small drawstring bags hanging with evening outfits. I will pack it all Friday afternoon, we leave early Saturday morning.

When I used to pack in our bedroom next to the closet, many extras went in. If I packed ahead of time I would forget what was in the case and, more than once, discover I had way too much during the trip. We came home every trip with clean, never worn clothing. I just got weary of hauling and organizing too much stuff. I want all the clothing dirty when we get home.

We pack for 5 days/nights no matter how long the trip will be (5 days or more :p ). Laundry/dry cleaning can always be sent out or, on Princess, there is a laundry room. It takes very little effort to do a load or two, we can cut way back on underwear, shorts and clothing that way. Laundry/dry cleaning costs are less than paying for overweight or extra bags if flying and we want to be able to handle our own bags.

The first time I "under" packed was scary, we were both used to having "choices" on what we could wear. But it all worked out and absolutely no one has said anything about us wearing the same items of clothing more than once. I doubt anyone on these large ships would even know I wore the same shoes to all of the casual nights, that I only had one pair of flip flops, one bathing suit.

I'm not a last minute person or packer. I always want to be prepared in case something unexpected happens and I lose the packing time several days before. I keep a list of essentials in the computer and then write out what I will wear for formal nights, day time, evening, etc. I collect plastic bags from the cleaners and pack anything that might wrinkle in them. I make a list as the clothes get put in the suitcase so I don't over pack which I did when we first started cruising. Has worked for me so far.