Maui, Hawaii

Loving all the responses. We will be there on Rhapsody for an overnight in September and I can't wait to get back. :)

I agree with most, as you are just there one day I would not tie it up doing the road to Hana. Renting a car is so easy and will get you around to the variety of sights. I like the suggestion someone had of heading up Haleakalā earlier than driving towards the west side and the winery.

Another idea would be to go up Haleakalā but head east when you come down over to Paia. It towards the coast and a fun little wind surfing town. We enjoy the food there (Paia Fish Market then Ono organic gelato across the street). After that there are dozens of quirky little shops to explore.

Later you can take the rental back then wander Front street in Lahaina before heading to Old Lahaina Luau for a beautiful dinner and meal on the beach at sunset.

I'm also on the April 27 Radiance cruise. The Road to Hana is best done on a land trip. It's a long drive and it's pretty much all day. It is beautiful though, but be careful if you get car sick - it is a very narrow and windy road. I would spend some time walking around Lahaina - great little town with lots of shops and restaurants - go to the beach at Kaanapali and go to the luau. I have done the Old Lahaina Luau and it is fabulous. But this time I decided to do the one the ship offers. I will probably walk around and go to the beach during the day. I'll be staying in Honolulu 4 days post cruise then a week in Kauai. Sign up for the meet and mingle and check out the posts on the Radiance Apr 27 roll call.

I live in Hawaii (on Oahu) and have a suggestion. It may not be listed as a tour, but the snorkel cruise to Molokini is great. This is a small crescent shaped rock in the waters between Maui and Kahoolawe. Access is limited to three or four boats at a time, controlled by moorings off-shore. The snorkel cruise companies do are very responsible and mindful of this special area.

The Lahaina Luau is one of the best in the state. Good service, good luau food and entertainment. Don't miss it!;)

lei

Maryanne, we will spend the day in Lahaina then attend the OLL with our group. If you choose to drive to Hana from Lahaina it is a all day trip and you will want to plan the day, to be back in time for sailing at 11 PM. It is a wonderful drive but a very windy road and narrow but the scenery is beautiful.

Rene, she is already on our Roll Call so she is good to go there. :-)

Gay

Maryanne, we will spend the day in Lahaina then attend the OLL with our group. If you choose to drive to Hana from Lahaina it is a all day trip and you will want to plan the day, to be back in time for sailing at 11 PM. It is a wonderful drive but a very windy road and narrow but the scenery is beautiful.

Rene, she is already on our Roll Call so she is good to go there. :-)

Gay

The only 2 luaus that the ship offers are Drums of the Pacific Luau and Kaanapali Sunset Luau. Are either one of these the Old Lahaina Luau that everyone is talking about?

The only 2 luaus that the ship offers are Drums of the Pacific Luau and Kaanapali Sunset Luau. Are either one of these the Old Lahaina Luau that everyone is talking about?

NO!

Drums of The Pacific is at the Kaanapali Hyatt and the other one is, I think, at Black Rock/Sheraton Kaanapali. Can't comment on either, we've only ever been to Old Lahaina Luau.

P.S. Both Bing.com and Google Earth have great aerial photo coverage of west Maui.

Edited by pspercy

NO!

Drums of The Pacific is at the Kaanapali Hyatt and the other one is, I think, at Black Rock/Sheraton Kaanapali. Can't comment on either, we've only ever been to Old Lahaina Luau.

P.S. Both Bing.com and Google Earth have great aerial photo coverage of west Maui.

I found online that we could book I think the old Lahaina luau on our own. Just not sure if its in walking distance or would we need to get a taxi?

No. For info the old lahaina luau is located behind...Safeway. that not withstanding, the luau is great. Call and book it direct if it is available on the day that you are there. You can even take the Maui bus to Safeway. Probably not back, as the luau ends after bus times. If you can walk it, it's not that far to the ship.

Same docking point...Wharf Cinema Center is gray, on front in front of the banyan tree

OK, well Cinema is across Front St but I forgot there is the old courthouse or whatever it was close to the dock.

I found online that we could book I think the old Lahaina luau on our own. Just not sure if its in walking distance or would we need to get a taxi?

It's about a mile but it'll be humid, I'd take a ride !

http://oldlahainaluau.com/location

http://www.theplantationinn.com/CMS/Client%20Files/Pages/Inn%20Information/TPI_LahainaMap%281%29.jpg

I'd book in advance, especially if there's a cruise ship in town:D

Edited by pspercy