Advice for cruising with a toddler?

amygirl76

I'm bringing my daughter on our cruise this June, (Splendor of the Seas, leaving from NY.) She will be 20 months old, so just a few months shy of being able to hang in the kids area and such. I've heard there is in room babysitting available? But I'm having trouble verifying that on the Carnival site.

There will be three of us traveling with her, (my Mom and one of my best friends), so I know we'll all have plenty of time to switch off baby sitting and what not.

Any tips and tricks are helpful! I've done some reading online, but much of it isn't Carnival specific. I've been on many cruises, but none since having her and only one Carnival cruise.

Thanks for any help :)

Amy--

Jump over to the FAMILY BOARD on this site, and you'll get a lot of info.

My tips--as the kids have been cruising since they were tiny:

1--Book a balcony cabin. That way when you're child's asleep, you can sit outside and enjoy the water.

2--Request a PAck-n-Play for her to sleep in. No need to bring your own.

3--Use an umbrella stroller. It will be easier to navigate the narrow hallways. And, you can fold it up and tuck it in the closet or shower at night for storage.

4--Book independent excursions. They will often be happy to cater to your needs, and alter a tour to make it more kids friendly. They may also have child seats available for us on their vehicles.

5--Pack sand toys for the beach!

6--Bring a small inflatable pool to use in the shower (for your child to bathe) and on the pool deck, as diapers are not allowed in the pools.

Hope that helps!

CeleBrat

Don't stress about it! She will do great and be easily entertained. I took my son for the first time when he was 2, and then again when he was 2.5. I agree with the above person about the stroller, balcony, etc. I also recommend an iPad type device with some movies/shows/games to keep her entertained. Also, make sure you go to the shows after dinner- even though they'll be past her bedtime, she'll LOVE them!

Bring everything you need...diapers, wipes, baby meds as they have very limited supply? I brought a small white noise machine too. Also brought one baby crib sheet and his blanket and stuffed monkey. She can order any thing off any menu. They were wonderful with my son. He was 12 mos and we had just found out he had milk, egg, and nut allergies. The matre'd was wonderful going over the menu each day to tell help me decide what he could eat the next day. Have fun!

Umbrella Stroller and remember to just go with the flow....sometimes the little one may be tired but the stroller can come in handy there. We would put my Son in one when he was 2,3,4,etc... if he got tired that is....it really did help on the ship and land.

you need to pack your patience.

and try and keep her routine as similar as possible... my daughter's first cruise was the day she turned 5, and even at that age the change in routine was a little hard. bring a carry on suitcase (at least) with toys and things for her to do so she's entertained too. i'd also say get the balcony, there have been plenty of nights when i've put to bed a cranky kidlet and found myself with only the balcony or the hallway, even if it's chilly i'll bring the comforter outside with me to keep my warm (it's also a really warm and snuggly)

snacks and stuff too. i found it was difficult to find food my kidlet would eat that first cruise, everything was new and it was an unusual experience, and i regret not bringing enough snacks. i'm assuming you're sailing out of NYC, there are dozens of Duane Reeds on the way to the port, we always pop in and grab snack foods, water (esp. if you're making juice!!! bottled water onboard is $$$ i figure 3 bottles a day) the only free drinks available are lemonade tea and water, but bathroom tap water isn't too pleasant and my kidlet thinks it tastes funny.