Port of LA Hotel

missaud

We are planning a Cruise on NCL leaving the Port of LA April 12th 2015. We have usually stayed at the Doubletree BUT no availability. I'm finding no availability in San Pedro. Any suggestions?

That's the weekend of the Long Beach Grand Prix and everything in the area will be sold out. If it's not be VERY careful, there's a reason it's still available.

What time are you getting into LA? If the night before might just get a hotel at the airport, knowing that there is not much around there.

If arriving a few days before stay outside the area. Santa Monica, Universal City, etc.

Whatever you decide allow extra time to arrive at port.

We are planning a Cruise on NCL leaving the Port of LA April 12th 2015. We have usually stayed at the Doubletree BUT no availability. I'm finding no availability in San Pedro. Any suggestions?

there is a spectacular resort in palos verdes called TERRANEA (terranea.com) used to be the site of marineland...then drop off car at enterprise...

Another option is Anaheim/Garden Grove, by Disneyland. Garden Grove is the same area, but when you cross a certain street you are in GG and not in Anaheim. There are a lot of hotels with various price points. Karmel Shuttle (local to Anaheim) or Super Shuttle can get you directly to the port and they know how to go around the LB Grand Prix.

Long Beach Grand Prix weekend is always tough for cruise visitors...

Under the assumption that you are flying into LAX and that price might be a consideration, here's my take:

First, forget Anaheim...you'd be going way out of your way...

Realistic Options:

1) Just stay near LAX. The areas not that exciting and no decent nearby restaurants, but no extra time is wasted and you will likely save by only needing one paid shuttle--hotel to pier. Only stay in the area along Century Blvd. WEST of the 405. Alternative areas near LAX: El Segundo or Culver City near Fox Hills--preferably the Doubletree or Four Points. You may have to get a short taxi ride to these. Then just shuttle to the pier in the morning.

2). Torrance. There are several reasonable chain hotels in the area immediately around the Del Amo mall. There is shopping, movies and restaurants in this area--about halfway between LAX and the pier. Requires two shuttle or taxi rides--LAX to hotel, hotel to pier.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. We will probably be coming in a few days before the cruise starts. We like to go a few days early in case our luggage doesn't make it. We stand a little better chance of getting it before we get on the cruise. Culver City or Santa Monica might work then. I've only stayed in San Diego and San Francisco so not really familiar with LA, except for San Pedro.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. We will probably be coming in a few days before the cruise starts. We like to go a few days early in case our luggage doesn't make it. We stand a little better chance of getting it before we get on the cruise. Culver City or Santa Monica might work then. I've only stayed in San Diego and San Francisco so not really familiar with LA, except for San Pedro.

With a few days early, my clear number one pick on where to stay is Santa Monica...

Of course, where you choose to stay depends a lot on two factors:

1) What you plan on doing and

2) Whether you plan on renting a car.

Santa Monica especially shines for those without the benefit of a car since...1) There is a lot to see and do right there--walking distance from the best hotels, 2) The HOHO bus stops at a couple of locations along Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica and 3) Santa Monica actually has a decent public bus system...

The main benefits to Santa Monica include 1) The best climate/weather--right by the beach, the ocean being a moderating weather force and the ocean breezes sweep away any minor chance at pollution, 2) It is a very nice, very upscale area--very safe, very beautiful and, 3) it is very pedestrian friendly...great areas to walk along the Third Street Promenade (pedestrian only main street), Palisades Park (on the cliffs above the beach--great Ocean and Pier views, the Pier and the beach...and not far from another great pedestrian venue--the Venice Beach Boardwalk...It is also fairly close to other major LA attractions--The Getty Center Museum, the Getty Villa, Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive, Westwood Village/UCLA...and even Hollywood/Universal et al is not that hard to get to from there...

The area to stay in is the area along the Beach and Ocean Avenue near the Santa Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade. The absolute best hotels (only drawback is that they can be pricey) are: Loews, Le Merigot, Shutters at the Beach, Casa del Mar and the Fairmont Miramar. A little less desirable (due mainly to secondary locations) are the Sheraton Delfina, the Doubletree and the Wyndham (I think they are planning on tearing down and rebuilding the Wyndham--which is the old Holiday Inn). There are a few other smaller hotels--fairly mixed as to whether they are nice or not along Ocean Avenue.

Now, I have fairly little reason to stay there myself since I grew up right nearby and still live within a half an hour...but, for some reason or another, I have had the reason to stay in a couple of these hotels --both absolutely top of the list in my book--Loews and Le Merigot. I wish I had taken photos from #801 in Loews--because it is the absolutely best view of any hotel in Los Angeles...Eight floor corner overlooking the Santa Monica Pier with rides and all lit up at night! Of course THAT room is extremely pricey! But, other rooms in the hotel have similar views. About three months ago, we stayed a weekend at Le Merigot...right next door to Loews. We were on the other side of that hotel, but I have attached, as a thumbnail, a photo of the view from our room...

1976007756_LeMerigot610(640x480).jpg.ec615459afacb5425bac4e4bb63919a7.jpg

I will second Santa Monica if you will be in the LA area for a couple of days. Do your research and find somewhere walking distance at least to restaurants and some stores. Taxis are expensive and as common as in most tourist areas. Check out a day tour to see some of our local sights. Also do some searches for shuttles for transportation (airport and cruise terminal) as these can be cheaper options than taxis or private cars.

Is it possible that 13 months ahead all the hotels are booked up in Long Beach and San Pedro?

Yes, it is. :) A friend works at Toyota in corporate event planning. They have standing reservations with a number hotels in the South Bay area who automatically set aside blocks of rooms several years in advance. Between corporate visitors, sponsors, teams, media, and support staff it's a lot of rooms. Honda is a few miles away and has similar needs.

OP- Friends stayed at the Hampton Inn Hermosa Beach, a few miles south of LAX. They said it was a good value; however it's in generic suburbia and you will either need a car or be limited in your choice of dining options.

2). Torrance. There are several reasonable chain hotels in the area immediately around the Del Amo mall. There is shopping, movies and restaurants in this area--about halfway between LAX and the pier. Requires two shuttle or taxi rides--LAX to hotel, hotel to pier.

Do any hotels in Torrance offer shuttle service to the SP pier, even for a fee? Not having any luck bidding for a SP hotel yet. We cruise on April 5.

Do any hotels in Torrance offer shuttle service to the SP pier, even for a fee? Not having any luck bidding for a SP hotel yet. We cruise on April 5.

They probably don't...a little too far to the pier...but you could call and ask.

I checked the SuperShuttle site and for a shared shuttle from the Doubletree Torrance (near the Del Amo Mall) to the pier, the cost for two is $36.

I've read on here that some cruisers, when shut out of San Pedro or when looking for a "Cruise and Stay" package, have opted for the Doubletree Carson--which offers a deal that includes long term parking and a shuttle to the pier in San Pedro. The hotel is nice, not too far from San Pedro...the area is a bit industrial/freeway off-ramp. There isn't much in the way of restaurants nearby except fast food (Jack-in-the-box, McDonalds, Subway, Carls, Jr., IHOP)...unless you walk about 6 blocks across the freeway to the Carson Mall (Chili's, Tony Roma's, Olive Garden, Tokyo Grill, Denny's)...But I wouldn't want to make that walk at night--perhaps the hotel would shuttle you back and forth? You might want to call them and ask about a rate that includes a shuttle to the ship...

What I like better about the Del Amo area of Torrance is that there's a much nicer and larger shopping mall right there. Say, using the Doubletree Torrance as a standars, within a block of the hotel, there are the following restaurants: Benihana, El Torito, Souplantation, Red Lobster, Elephant Bar, Marie Callender's. Directly across Hawthorne Blvd., at the mall, there are Denny's, Lucille's BBQ, BJ's and lots more...

Aside from the Doubletree, circling the mall you will find Marriott, Residence Inn, Howard Johnson's, two Extended Stay Americas and a Best Western.

The shared shuttle from SuperShuttle from LAX to the Doubletree Torrance or other nearby hotels is $32 for two people...

But I would try contacted the indiuvidual hotels and ask if they have an LAX shuttle...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Thanks, Bruin Steve. Fast food is fine with us. We really just want a place to rest for the night prior to the cruise. We're not even above finding a cheap but good place near LAX and then using the shuttle to get to the pier the next morning. We used the San Pedro Crowne Plaza last time, but I'm not having any luck bidding this time.