Norwegian cruisers- cabin size

Prinycesa07

I asked this on the NCL board but figured you all might have some experience too.

We need to bring 2 regalo cots for our kids. I hear Norwegians rooms are smaller than carnival. Would 2 of these fit in an interior room somehow?

Edited to add: On Breakaway if that makes a difference

Edited by Prinycesa07

Regalo? If they allow you to book 4 in a cabin, there will need to be 4 berths in the cabin....so unless you're speaking of cribs or pack and plays, you won't need cots.

Almost every cruiseline has smaller standard cabins than carnival!

Better idea is to book a cabin with a sofa bed and both the kids can sleep on it.

Trying to put 2 cots in an interior cabin is not something I would try. It looks like the interior cabins on Breakaway are only 151 sq ft......tiny.

Edited by Marie51

I don't think they would fit in a standard NCL interior room. The interior rooms don't have the extra sitting area that the balcony rooms do so you'd be using the floor space between the two beds, which is less than a bed's width. Have you looked at obstructed ocean view? I'm not sure what ship you're looking at (newer or older) but on the older ships some of the obstructed ocean view rooms are actually larger than the regular balcony rooms. They have strange layouts but you still get sunlight and more room than most people. Call a cruise consultant and they can tell you which rooms are your best bet.

Also, NCL currently has a promotion where kids sail free on several of their cruises. You might be able to afford to book a larger room or suite under that promotion if you haven't booked a particular cruise yet.

I wish Marie. Only Balconys though i believe. Poo.

How about the adults sleeping in the upper berths and the kids in the bed?

By the way I'm from Buffalo too....grew up in Tonawanda.

We were on Carnival Victory in a window cabin that had a sofa bed. I guess I thought all catagories had them. But I don't know about NCL.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Small world Marie! We live on the Buffalo/Tonawanda border :)

I'm wondering if I can't find a bumper to put on the top bunk for my 4 yr old. I remember seeing an inflatable one on these boards a couple years ago. If not then I think you're right- I'll be sleeping up top :/

Thanks for the help :)

It seems like category O1 (Family Oceanview with Large Picture Window) has a sofa bed seperate from the main sleeping area. Most cabins also have bathtubs. So that might be a good option for you. The Bermuda cruise from NYC on September 7 is only $509 per person for a family of 4 in that room.

I've shared this picture a few times, but it might give you some options.

CIMG3428.jpg

If you push the King bed to one side, you'll have room for two cots, or arrange for a mattress on the floor and have the kids sleep on that. Or do like what's in the picture and put one in the bunk and one underneath in a cot or a mattress (we've done this on many different cruiselines, and the cabin stewards have been very helpful in finding a small mattress for us to use for our younger child).

The bunk should have a rail, but if you're still concerned, roll a blanket and put it UNDER the mattress on the edge - this will make a "hill" which will be very hard to roll over. Our son started sleeping up there at age 3 and he did fine - he thought it was a big adventure to be up there by himself.

(one more thing, if you do the bunk idea... you can ask for extra sheets and hang them from the bunk, making a curtained area underneath it. Kids love to play in there, and it makes for a bit of private space in a somewhat cramped cabin. We've done it lots of times, and the key is just to be creative with the space you have).

Have fun!

By pushing the adult's bed over, you also avoid hitting your head on the bunk if you sit up at night.

Seraphine- is this picture from carnival? We've fit us four in an interior a couple times on carnival but I hear that Norwegian is smaller. Curious if you know this is true?

And I think I'm actually going to do the bunk idea now. I was talking to my 4 year old today & she said she wants to sleep on the bunk. I don't know why it worries me, I'm sure she will be fine at 4, yeah? A rolled up towel is a great idea!

Seraphine- is this picture from carnival? We've fit us four in an interior a couple times on carnival but I hear that Norwegian is smaller. Curious if you know this is true?

And I think I'm actually going to do the bunk idea now. I was talking to my 4 year old today & she said she wants to sleep on the bunk. I don't know why it worries me, I'm sure she will be fine at 4, yeah? A rolled up towel is a great idea!

Hi Prinycesa,

Yes, it's a Carnival picture. I'm not sure what the exact measurement of the Norwegian inside cabins are, but you could use the same premise (from the picture linked above of the NCL cabin, it looks like the two adult beds are a touch narrower - the bunk might overhang the bottom bed by a few inches even if they are pushed towards the opposite wall). We've done this on Carnival, Costa, and Princess and it's worked fine (Disney and RCCL had sofas so the room layout was a bit different)

I'm sure your 4 year old will love it :) The picture I put up only had one of the rails put up, but the rolled-up towel trick helps them stay firmly on the mattress.

Have fun!

Edited by Seraphine

Inside cabins on NCL are 151 sq ft and on Carnival 185 sq ft.

Thanks, Marie :)

It's hard to tell because some of that lost space might be in the depth, not just the width. NCL still seems pretty titchy though - no cat swinging in there!

I just wanted to say...we have cruised many times with NCL (although not on Breakaway) but we have had some type of cot bed in some of the rooms. It was stored under the bed and the steward pulled it out and made it every night for us. Here's a picture:

IMG_1277-L.jpg

This one was on the Pearl.

We have also sailed in interior cabins that came with a sofa that pulled out into a bed.

This was the couch beside the bed

IMG_5613-M.jpg

Ignore the munchkin in the picture, but you can see behind her that the couch is made into a bed and it butts up against our bed.

IMG_4985-M.jpg

Now I do have to say this is a sideways cabin. So, they might only come in those types of cabins. So if I were you, I would look for that type of cabin if it's available on the ship. :)

My sister and her family were 4 in an inside on the Pearl, we were in a balcony on the same cruise. Her boys were 7 and 9. It was tight, but doable. They had two bunks that dropped down from the ceiling. With the bunks down, you had a double bed right under the two bunks. Also not much room to be able to get ready. BIL would get ready with one boy and leave, then my sister would get ready with the other. Even 4 of us in a balcony, we weren't anxious to spend time in the cabin. Incentive to get out and enjoy the ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums