CAPE LIBERTY -- Looking for a Hotel

zombiehunter

We are going Sept 19th. Well that is the Friday night we would need a hotel. I told my husband lets just park at the port and stow and go the seats and sleep....lol

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm thinking you're talking about sleeping in your car at the port after you arrive late at night?

That's a very bad idea and probably not at all possible because the port is a secured area. Bayonne and the surrounding areas are definitely not places where you want to park anywhere and sleep in your car. Please don't even consider doing this!!!!

Please look at Parsippany NJ on Hotwire - there are 2* to 4* hotels from $58-86 plus tax, some of them with free breakfast.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm thinking you're talking about sleeping in your car at the port after you arrive late at night?

That's a very bad idea and probably not at all possible because the port is a secured area. Bayonne and the surrounding areas are definitely not places where you want to park anywhere and sleep in your car. Please don't even consider doing this!!!!

Please look at Parsippany NJ on Hotwire - there are 2* to 4* hotels from $58-86 plus tax, some of them with free breakfast.

No no I was just joking!!! That's why I put lol...:)

That's a relief. I couldn't let it go without asking. You can't believe some of the plans people have floated by us on this board over the years or experiences that folks posted about after the fact and were sorry they hadn't asked ahead of time.

I am looking for a place to stay pre-cruise out of Newark. I would like to visit Ellis Island & statue of Liberty before the cruise, so hotel location should consider convenient way to get to "central railroad of New Jersey terminal". This is the location to get a ferry to the Island. I will be flying in. Thak you for your help

Carol thanks for the info. At this time, unless anything changes I booked the residence in Parsippany. Couldn't do the cheap travel web pages cause I booked the 2 bedroom suite and they don't usually offer those on there. Not bad $200 with taxes included for the 6 of us with a full service breakfast!!

I am looking for a place to stay pre-cruise out of Newark. I would like to visit Ellis Island & statue of Liberty before the cruise, so hotel location should consider convenient way to get to "central railroad of New Jersey terminal". This is the location to get a ferry to the Island. I will be flying in. Thak you for your help

Please provide more details. Exact date you need a hotel? Hotel budget? Number of people? Flight arrival time?

To visit both Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty you need almost a full day. They are accessible from both NYC and NJ.

Please provide more details. Exact date you need a hotel? Hotel budget? Number of people? Flight arrival time?

To visit both Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty you need almost a full day. They are accessible from both NYC and NJ.

Fortunatly, we won't be traveling until Sept. 2015 & I am trying to plan ahead. I also thought it would take more time so I am planning on flying in 2 days before the crruise. I would have a saturday to do our touring. From what I have seen I should be able to find a place for under $150 a night. There are 2 adults traveling & should arrive at Newark airport mid-afternoon on a friday & the cruise won't depart until sunday.

You mentioned the Central Railroad Station which is in Liberty State Park. Is it important to visit that? The problem is that if you are staying in a Newark Airport hotel, it is easier to get to Battery Park in Manhattan for the SOL ferry than it is to get to Liberty State Park unless you have a car.

Please provide the exact date in Sep.

You mentioned the Central Railroad Station which is in Liberty State Park. Is it important to visit that? The problem is that if you are staying in a Newark Airport hotel, it is easier to get to Battery Park in Manhattan for the SOL ferry than it is to get to Liberty State Park unless you have a car.

Please provide the exact date in Sep.

We will be arriving Sept. 18 Friday & no car. I had no idea it was easier to get to battery park in Manhattan. That's why I have to use these boards to get info. Thanks

It's way too soon to price hotels for Sep 2015. When you start to look, you should check out the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth - Marriott Courtyard, Country Inns, Residence Inn, and Embassy Suites. If none of these suit or are too expensive, post back for more suggestions when prices are available. You MUST be selective about your hotel at Newark Airport - do not book the cheapest hotel you can find.

To get into Manhattan you would take the hotel shuttle back to the airport, take the NJ Transit train one stop to Newark Penn Station (currently $8.75/pp), and transfer to Path ($2.50) to go directly to the World Trade Center. From there you can walk to Battery Park, take a quick cab ride, or take a downtown South Ferry Bus on Broadway.

If you want to be closer to NYC, look at the Newport area hotels in Jersey City - Marriott Courtyard, Doubletree, and Candlewood Suites or the expensive Hyatt and Westin. From these hotels it is possible to get to the SOL two ways - via Path to the WTC or via light rail and ferry to Liberty State Park. However, these hotels do not have an airport shuttle, so you have to pay for a taxi or car service from the airport.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels near the Cape Liberty cruise port ? Flying in to Newark on a Sat. afternoon in early May for a Sunday embarkation. In searching Trip Advisor, it appears Elizabeth, NJ is the closest with a few selections. Would also be nice if the hotels offer shuttle service to the pier, or will a taxi be better ? Nothing too fancy or expensive required, but won't have a car, so will need a restaurant nearby.

Thanks for any advise, our first cruise out of Cape Liberty.

Could you provide the exact date? Target budget? Car Service to the port will be about $50-60.

Only three hotels offer port transportation. Country Inns in Elizabeth offers round trip port transportation for $35/pp as well as a cruise package. Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens share a port shuttle which is free for the Hampton Inn and an extra charge via a "cruise package" for the Hilton Gardens. The only place to eat is in the Hilton Gardens. The Hampton offers free breakfast.

Could you provide the exact date? Target budget? Car Service to the port will be about $50-60.

Only three hotels offer port transportation. Country Inns in Elizabeth offers round trip port transportation for $35/pp as well as a cruise package. Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens share a port shuttle which is free for the Hampton Inn and an extra charge via a "cruise package" for the Hilton Gardens. The only place to eat is in the Hilton Gardens. The Hampton offers free breakfast.

Thanks Carol,

Exact date is Sat. May 3rd. Budget, under $120. Does Country Inns offer a one-way shuttle fare, as we won't require a shuttle following the cruise ? What are the "cruise pkgs" you mention, free car parking for duration, don't require this, or something else.

I suspect a taxi is our best bet from the Newark airport to one of these hotels, correct ? Any idea of the approx. taxi fare. If not our only choice, are shuttles avail, like Supper Shuttle or equiv. ? Thanks again.

Country Inns is in your price range for that date. Call the hotel directly. In the past they have allowed folks who don't need the return shuttle to book one way to the port for $17.50/pp.

Actually, Hampton Inn offers even a better Govt. rate which we are eligible for and you said they offered a free shuttle, so we may check with them first.

Thanks again for all the info.

Carol,

I have booked a suite in Parsippany but is there anywhere better u would think to stay. Closer? and also How much of a wreck is it to go to this port. I have read it's a hot mess....not ur typical port. Like by the description people are saying it doesn't even sound like there is a building...dropping off luggage to tents.? I am so confused

Actually, Hampton Inn offers even a better Govt. rate which we are eligible for and you said they offered a free shuttle, so we may check with them first.

The free shuttle you're referring to is probably to and from the airport, and virtually every hotel in the area offers that.

Free shuttle to the port is normally not offered (except as part of a pricey package, where you're actually paying for the shuttle as part of your hotel room rate). I've only seen a free shuttle to the port offered by a hotel you would best avoid.

My bad. I was referring to the Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden on Staten Island. The Hampton Inn at Newark airport does NOT offer a Cruiseport shuttle.

You will pay $50-60 to arrange car service transportation to the port. So do the math. Which is more expensive - the Hampton Inn rate at the airport plus $50-60 or Country Inns plus $35. The other variable is location - Country Inns is next to a Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, and the Jersey Gardens Mall. There is nothing much by Hampton Inn.

Carol,

I have booked a suite in Parsippany but is there anywhere better u would think to stay. Closer? and also How much of a wreck is it to go to this port. I have read it's a hot mess....not ur typical port. Like by the description people are saying it doesn't even sound like there is a building...dropping off luggage to tents.? I am so confused

IMO Parsipanny is the nicest area with the best prices and best services for your group. As you get closer in to NY the prices jump and the area becomes more congested and confusing to get off road to find a hotel property.

Cape Liberty is a working port with zero charm. There is a terminal building, but it is small. They have covered the entire length of the terminal outside with a tent. Pull up Port Terminal Blvd, Bayonne, NJ on Google earth and you can see this at the east end of the peninsula.

You should be fine on a Saturday morning. The only potential traffic issue is the effect that the closing of the Pulaski Skyway will have on the NJ turnpike extension which you must travel between exit 14 and 14A to get to Bayonne. This closure will start next week, so please check this board later to see what is going on, if anything.

Carol

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering why I couldn't locate a Hilton Garden Inn in Elizabeth, NJ, just a Hilton Newark Airport. As the free shuttle from the Hampton Inn, Staten Island would be nice, the taxi fare from the Newark Airport to Staten Island would probably be expensice. Will now consider the Colony Inn & Suites in Elizabeth NJ. If they offer free shuttle fron the airport, then will be happy to pay the $17.50/pp to get to the port the next day.

Thanks again for all the reccomendations. CC'ers are great !

Carol

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering why I couldn't locate a Hilton Garden Inn in Elizabeth, NJ, just a Hilton Newark Airport. As the free shuttle from the Hampton Inn, Staten Island would be nice, the taxi fare from the Newark Airport to Staten Island would probably be expensice. Will now consider the Colony Inn & Suites in Elizabeth NJ. If they offer free shuttle fron the airport, then will be happy to pay the $17.50/pp to get to the port the next day.

Thanks again for all the reccomendations. CC'ers are great !

Sorry, I didn't read your post closely last night. The Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens on Staten Island offer a free airport shuttle as well - that's how they can attract airport business. These hotels are in the middle of a wooded corporate park - you'd never know you were in NYC. The only restaurant within walking distance is in the Hilton Gardens. However these hotels tend to be pricier. Bottom line is that you pay to get to Cape Liberty either by a direct charge or by a higher room rate.

Sorry, I didn't read your post closely last night. The Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens on Staten Island offer a free airport shuttle as well - that's how they can attract airport business. These hotels are in the middle of a wooded corporate park - you'd never know you were in NYC. The only restaurant within walking distance is in the Hilton Gardens. However these hotels tend to be pricier. Bottom line is that you pay to get to Cape Liberty either by a direct charge or by a higher room rate.

Thanks for all your help Carol. I was able to get a great AAA rate at the Country Inn & Suites, Elizabeth, NJ. They include a free shuttle from Newark Airport to the hotel and do offer a $17.50/pp shuttle for a one-way transfer to the pier.