barcelona airport to Ship NCL transfer ?

cjc3008

I have booked the transfer from airport using NCL.

Has anyone used this transfer system and can tell me how it really works. My TA just says someone will meet me at airport !

I land at Barcelona next Friday at 10am to pick up cruise on Spirit.

As you exit customs, theres a lady with an clipboard that says NCL on it.

However it does go around all the terminals picking up passengers, and waits to be full. Can take a couple of hours.

A taxi is about €35 and takes about 20 minutes.

As you exit customs, theres a lady with an clipboard that says NCL on it.

However it does go around all the terminals picking up passengers, and waits to be full. Can take a couple of hours.

A taxi is about €35 and takes about 20 minutes.

Thank you so much for replying. I have paid for transfers so will stick with it and i have plenty of time arriving at 10am and Spirit does not leave till 7pm !!

Thank you so much for replying. I have paid for transfers so will stick with it and i have plenty of time arriving at 10am and Spirit does not leave till 7pm !!

Have you paid for transfers back to the airport afterwards as well?

If not then I'd very much advise a taxi, assuming there are two or more of you (and possibly even if you are by yourself). There is a real scrum to get on the transfer buses. We used them a couple of years back as we had NCL flights, so the transfers were included, but we still nearly gave up and got in a taxi.

Check out http://www.amb.cat/documents/336719/397302/Tarifa_taxi_2014.pdf/80edb79d-b16c-4608-9379-0f45de56ba5a for a downloadable document on taxi rates.

You can also download an app or visit their site to get an idea on cost of a taxi in Barcelona.

They can no longer charge for luggage, so don't pay this extra.

There are extras for pickup/dropoff at the port / airport etc. and for 5th & 6th passengers.

Thank you all for your replies. I have booked both transfers on this cruise as it is only 10 days away so a late deal. This being my first cruise and being a retired single lady I felt the transfers would be advisable as I step out into the world of cruising LoL.

However I have also booked a transatlantic on Epic in October so will take on board all your tips.

Thankyou.

I have booked the transfer from airport using NCL.

Has anyone used this transfer system and can tell me how it really works. My TA just says someone will meet me at airport !

I land at Barcelona next Friday at 10am to pick up cruise on Spirit.

Did this a cpl weeks ago. We landed about 9:30. Once everyone else had landed we were told as checkin wasn't open they'd give us a free 2-3hr tour of Barcelona. Which they did, but I'd seen it many times before. Ok so they (driver and guide) were doing it for tips but did allow me some shots of Spirit from the hill!

13195259653_ccf4783b59_b.jpg

Norwegian Spirit - March 2014 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

We got to the terminal about 1PM to check in

Edited by Single Cruiser

Thank you all for your replies. I have booked both transfers on this cruise as it is only 10 days away so a late deal. This being my first cruise and being a retired single lady I felt the transfers would be advisable as I step out into the world of cruising LoL.

However I have also booked a transatlantic on Epic in October so will take on board all your tips.

Thankyou.

probably a good idea :)

Oh there is no need to tip anyone in Spain, so don't feel pressured to tip on trips, transfers etc.

What is normal though is to round up to the nearest Euro - so if a meal comes to €19.40 simply round up to €20, same with taxis.

This is how locals will pay, so tourists are no different.

In fact this is true for pretty much all Europe.

Ok so they (driver and guide) were doing it for tips but did allow me some shots of Spirit from the hill!

That is awful. I typed by reply before I saw yours.

It is companies / drivers like this that gives Europe a bad name.

They were there to do a transfer, not to try and get extra money - I bet the coach firm / cruise line did not authorise or know about it.

The word scam comes to my mind.......

That is awful. I typed by reply before I saw yours.

It is companies / drivers like this that gives Europe a bad name.

They were there to do a transfer, not to try and get extra money - I bet the coach firm / cruise line did not authorise or know about it.

The word scam comes to my mind.......

Two ways you could see this. For those who had not seen Barcelona they got a free tour that would have cost lots of money and saved sitting in a terminal lounge.

There was no forcing of tips. We had two/three stops and NCL Rep who met us at the airport was fully aware..

Should also add he did ask "does anyone want to go direct to the port" . I thought about it but as they didn't start boarding for another 1.5hrs I as did the rest of the coach stayed quiet.

We did the mountain view point, around the cathedral, then down to the centre and the Olympic village. Think I gave them a 5 euro tip. Well NCL charge about $40 for a shore ex like that

Another pic from the transfer/tour

13195158435_21fde326ef_b.jpg

Norwegian Spirit - March 2014 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Edited by Single Cruiser

Thankyou.

On balance I think you have made the correct choice most especially as you are travelling alone.

We boarded around 11am last year so no need for an unsolicited tour unless of course you would like to take the opportunity to see the city, free of charge.

Looking forward to meeting you at the M&G. :)

Stuart

Edited by Big Chippy

Thankyou.

If you are by yourself then it is almost certainly cheaper to take the tour.

Just be persistent when boarding the coach on the return. Lots of people with very little idea of queueing.

I think that as a first timer this is very much the right thing to do. It can be very unnerving and strange but once you know the ropes it is a different kettle of fish entirely.

@Stu You have a great time and come back and tell me all about it. Another 4 weeks for us to wait, say hi to Armando for me.

Thankyou.

Have a great time on both cruises. I did the Spirit Canary Islands itinerary this past November, and the eastbound Epic transatlantic two years. I invite you to read my reviews, which include transportation and other information about Barcelona. The links are in my signature.

Sent from my Asus Fonepad using the Cruise Critic Forums app.

Edited by jlajr

Have a great time on both cruises. I did the Spirit Canary Islands itinerary this past November, and the eastbound Epic transatlantic two years. I invite you to read my reviews, which include transportation and other information about Barcelona. The links are in my signature.

Sent from my Asus Fonepad using the Cruise Critic Forums app.

Thankyou for the very informative reviews I am now looking forward to all my cruises 2014

Thanks again

Hello, cjc3008, Not sure why all the negative comments about NCL transfers. We took the transfers for our Spirit cruise in January. There are plenty of representatives to show you where to go once you arrive.

We had to wait in the terminal an hour or so until a number of other flights arrived before we could go to the area where the coaches were waiting. The transfer was relatively short and very relaxing.

We didn't get a tour of the city but wouldn't have minded if we did. It is definitely the best option for you and as long as you know what might be ahead of you it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hello, cjc3008, Not sure why all the negative comments about NCL transfers. We took the transfers for our Spirit cruise in January. There are plenty of representatives to show you where to go once you arrive.

We had to wait in the terminal an hour or so until a number of other flights arrived before we could go to the area where the coaches were waiting. The transfer was relatively short and very relaxing.

We didn't get a tour of the city but wouldn't have minded if we did. It is definitely the best option for you and as long as you know what might be ahead of you it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for writing about your transfer in January. A recent experience does reassure me and I will be quite happy to wait for the coaches. I know I am going to enjoy this cruise !

Enjoy your cruise.

I wouldn't necessarily say they were negative comments about the NCL transfers, but if there are two or more people then it is cheaper to just grab a taxi which doesn't involve waiting for other planes and means a lot less walking.

Nothing particularly wrong with the transfers, but a taxi is quicker, easier and cheaper (if there are a two or more of you).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't necessarily say they were negative comments about the NCL transfers, but if there are two or more people then it is cheaper to just grab a taxi which doesn't involve waiting for other planes and means a lot less walking.

Nothing particularly wrong with the transfers, but a taxi is quicker, easier and cheaper (if there are a two or more of you).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe next cruise I will seek fellow cruisers on cc to ride a quicker taxi with me to share cost. Meanwhile I will go the safer route this time and be guided !

Thx for replying.

probably a good idea :)

Oh there is no need to tip anyone in Spain, so don't feel pressured to tip on trips, transfers etc.

What is normal though is to round up to the nearest Euro - so if a meal comes to €19.40 simply round up to €20, same with taxis.

This is how locals will pay, so tourists are no different.

In fact this is true for pretty much all Europe.

All though it isn't "mandatory" to tip in Europe the same way and as high as it is in the US; it is still normal to tip if you are pleased with the service - especially at restaurants, hotels, and in some countries (like Spain) also for taxis and hairdressers (!). You are not obliged to pay any tips, but it is still normal to do so IF you are satisfied with the service. If you have a nice dinner at a restaurant, and the waiter have been giving you great service, it would be almost offensive to just leave a few cents as tip - a few euros would be more "appropriate".... And if you are NOT happy with the service rendered, then you should NOT tip anything and that is totally accepted as well...

I am Norwegian living in Norway myself, and have traveled all over Europe - plus I have actually lived and worked in the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, France and Switzerland, so I have seen it both from a touristic view and from a local's view, and my experience is that if you don't tip a little bit when expected you are counted as "cheap"... ;)

Edited by TrumpyNOR