Cruising with a baby

Hey everyone,

Long time cruiser, first time parent. My wife and I are thinking of going on the Allure or Oasis of the Seas with our daughter who will be approx. 15 months at the time of the cruise. I have been on the Allure but was not paying attention to activities for a 15 month old. I dont expect to use the child care services available instead having our daughter with us the whole time. Just looking for some thoughts on having a younger child on the Allure/Oasis and whether it'll be tough or if there are plenty of things to keep us/her entertained. Any insight is much appreciated.

I have never been on the Oasis or the Allure so I have no advice there. But, last year my DD cruised with her 14 month old. She brought her own pack and play bedding. We found the sheets provided by the cruise line to be rough feeling and it was a flat sheet instead of a fitted one.

I hope that your family enjoy your cruise. We had a wonderful time with the baby. The staff couldn't do enough for the little one. They all spoke of their own children at home and how much they missed them.

Congratulations on your little one! We cruised with our 10-month old on the Liberty of the Seas in January, and had a fantastic time. You can check out my detailed photo review in my signature. Our son enjoyed the baby splash zone, and the baby play area. He was fascinated by the Dreamworks parade, and the crew were wonderful with him. There was always something new for him to see, and looking at the cruise through his eyes was so much fun. We had grandma and my aunt go with us, so DH and I could have some alone time once in a while. And in Cozumel, we hired a driver who had a carseat in his van. We did an island tour with lunch and beach time. It was great! Photos and details are in my review. I also have a list of products that were helpful to us as we traveled.

All that to say, if our experience on the Liberty was great, I would think the Allure would be even better. DH and I sailed the Allure for our babymoon, and we can't wait to take our little guy on that ship. Plenty to do, and plenty of spaces to chill out if baby is overstimulated.

Cruising with a baby is very different from cruising as a couple, but it's still a great value and a lot of fun. Happy cruising :)

Edited by Host Faith

We did it with our son for the first time when he was 17 months old. It was a nice vacation, he did a good job traveling, eating in the MDR and we used the nursery a few times but he didn't like it. The western itinerary is my preference for traveling with a little one. There are tons of tips out there regarding traveling with a little one. I agree with the previous poster, if you use the pack and play the ship provides, take one or two of your own pack and play fitted sheets!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm reading exactly what I hoped to read!

And Chrystal, I have spent lots of time leading up to a cruise reading your reviews. Now that I am booking another, I'll have to read your Babymoon cruise and your cruise with your child.

One other question, my daughter won't be potty trained by the time we cruise. I know that she might not be able to go into the pools, but the splash zone was ok?

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm reading exactly what I hoped to read!

And Chrystal, I have spent lots of time leading up to a cruise reading your reviews. Now that I am booking another, I'll have to read your Babymoon cruise and your cruise with your child.

One other question, my daughter won't be potty trained by the time we cruise. I know that she might not be able to go into the pools, but the splash zone was ok?

Thanks again!

Aww thanks for reading! I hope they were helpful :)

The baby splash zone is fine for babies with swim diapers. So cute- Isaac didn't want to leave.

Congrats! We took our son on his first cruise when he was 10 months old and we all had a great time! You may be somewhat limited on what you can do and will definitely be limited as to how late you can stay up at night. I'm just going to forewarn you now - be prepared for the backlash, which I'm actually quite surprised hasn't happened yet....

Be prepared for the following comments----

1) Why would anyone bring a baby on a cruise?

2) Why would anyone pay to take a baby on a cruise because they won't

remember it.

3) Bring along the grandparents to watch the little one.

4) Leave baby at home with a family member

5) Don't go on a cruise until they are 18 and have moved out of the house or

off to college.

6) I don't want to hear a crying baby on MY cruise, even though I booked a

cruise on a family-oriented cruise line.

I'm sure there are others that I can't recall off hand, but I'm sure those suggestions will be along in short order.

My suggestion to you - bring along the little one and have a wonderful time, but please try to be mindful of others. We never had a problem with our little one!

Be sure to check out/post to the family board if you have specific questions. Lots of helpful people over there who have taken kids on cruises and offer great tips!

We took DD on NCL at 16 months, they don't have any drop-off programming for under-3s, but did have playground type activities that she enjoyed. She also liked walking around the ship, hanging out on the balcony with us, the shows, and of course the beach! We went to Belize, Roatan, costa Maya, and cozumel and found fun activities to do with her in each place. It was just the 3 of us, so we didn't have any babysitters, but we still had a great time. Yes, we were in the room earlier most evenings than on previous cruises, but we planned ahead for that (a big part of the reason we splurged for a balcony).

When she was 2 we took her in DCL. Having more kid space and a nursery was awesome! We were able to leave her there for some adult time and she had a great time. They also had more family oriented activities that we could all do together and a splash zone (it seems like RCI has a lot of these features).

This year we're taking her and our new daughter (they will be 3 and almost 1 when we sail). Cruising with little kids is very different than cruising as just adults, but still very nice. I relish the fact that I don't have to cook, clean (too much), go to work, commute, pack daycare bags, etc. for the week. We are sailing Indy, which I understand has a splash zone, nursery, and the kids area so I think both girls should be entertained and happy, there is even more on Oasis/Allure, so I'm sure you'll have a great time!

I would bring things for your LO to do at dinner, if you plan on dining in the MDR. On our cruise when DD was 16 months bringing a bunch of small toys in my purse (think: mcdonalds/dollar store type toys) and doling them out as she got bored helped her get through many 5-course dinners (I think we had to take her out of the dining room for a walk maybe twice all week, and after a few minutes she was ready to come back).

Here are two baby on board:p reviews I recommend, in addition to Host Faiths (and she's already linked you, but hers are great too:D)

ObsessedSC s review of ALURE with her 8 mo....she did all her homework, and has great ideas here!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1620504

Bionicman97 also travels with his adorable tot (we are FB friends so I see lots of his little fella!) this is his Freedom review, lots of good ideas. He started an Oasis review too, but sadly had to cut it short when he lost his beloved doggie:(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1715156

Hope these help! Mine are all nearly grown, but we've traveled the globe with them since they were tots, and our basic advice is, pace yourself to their pace; you might miss out in some stuff, but the time they are little is short, and you will have a happier tot now, and plenty of time later when they are grown to do it "all"! Have fun! :D

Congrats! We took our son on his first cruise when he was 10 months old and we all had a great time! You may be somewhat limited on what you can do and will definitely be limited as to how late you can stay up at night. I'm just going to forewarn you now - be prepared for the backlash, which I'm actually quite surprised hasn't happened yet....

Be prepared for the following comments----

1) Why would anyone bring a baby on a cruise?

2) Why would anyone pay to take a baby on a cruise because they won't

remember it.

3) Bring along the grandparents to watch the little one.

4) Leave baby at home with a family member

5) Don't go on a cruise until they are 18 and have moved out of the house or

off to college.

6) I don't want to hear a crying baby on MY cruise, even though I booked a

cruise on a family-oriented cruise line.

I'm sure there are others that I can't recall off hand, but I'm sure those suggestions will be along in short order.

My suggestion to you - bring along the little one and have a wonderful time, but please try to be mindful of others. We never had a problem with our little one!

OP, please don't think for a minute that you will hear a whisper of these things WHEN ON THE SHIP, as Mich says, you may hear the Internet bullies say these things, but your onboard experience will be what I usually see when cruising.

Lots of grandmas and grandpas cooing over your baby, and telling you all about "theirs" ;)

Crew who miss their own little ones going out of their way to entertain and enjoy your baby, like the little guy we saw in Enchantment who just wanted to crawl up the stair way in the My Fair Lady dining room, so up and down he went, with dad trailing to keep him safe, the only folks using the stairs were crew who took time from their dashing to get on their hands and knees and "crawl" with him while laughing and talking to him. We saw at less 4 separate crew use the stairs and do this! No matter what anyone says here, on board, baby will delight and amuse, and you won't notice the very few people who aren't! :D

Edited by Familygoboston

OP, please don't think for a minute that you will hear a whisper of these things WHEN ON THE SHIP, as Mich says, you may hear the Internet bullies say these things, but your onboard experience will be what I usually see when cruising.

Lots of grandmas and grandpas cooing over your baby, and telling you all about "theirs" ;)

Crew who miss their own little ones going out of their way to entertain and enjoy your baby, like the little guy we saw in Enchantment who just wanted to crawl up the stair way in the My Fair Lady dining room, so up and down he went, with dad trailing to keep him safe, the only folks using the stairs were crew who took time from their dashing to get on their hands and knees and "crawl" with him while laughing and talking to him. We saw at less 4 separate crew use the stairs and do this! No matter what anyone says here, on board, baby will delight and amuse, and you won't notice the very few people who aren't! :D

Yeah, I should have added that you most likely won't hear anyone on board say something, it is argued here on CC quite frequently, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well said I will gladly sail with other kids snd my own I have a blast seeing there excitement and there eyes makes for s great cruise

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

well said i will gladly sail with other kids snd my own i have a blast seeing there excitement and there eyes makes for s great cruise

sent from my phone using tapatalk 2- please excuse any errors.

^^like^^

Seriously, I think you are exaggerating.

Seriously, I think you are exaggerating.

My son (16 months old) will be platinum on his own after he takes his 5th cruise with us in May. No exaggeration on familygoboston's part as far as the crew bending over backwards and others cooing over the baby. This has been our experience exactly. However, I will say on our most recent cruise, we did encounter two 'lovely' individuals (on separate occasions) who felt the need to get in our faces and inform us we 'had no right' to bring our small child on a cruise. The first man (on day 1!) actually told us his presence was ruining his cruise. I was absolutely astonished, especially considering when the comments were made my son wasn't doing a darn thing except sitting in his stroller looking cute. But that is only two out of the thousands we have encountered. Most people are very friendly.

My son (16 months old) will be platinum on his own after he takes his 5th cruise with us in May. No exaggeration on familygoboston's part as far as the crew bending over backwards and others cooing over the baby. This has been our experience exactly. However, I will say on our most recent cruise, we did encounter two 'lovely' individuals (on separate occasions) who felt the need to get in our faces and inform us we 'had no right' to bring our small child on a cruise. The first man (on day 1!) actually told us his presence was ruining his cruise. I was absolutely astonished, especially considering when the comments were made my son wasn't doing a darn thing except sitting in his stroller looking cute. But that is only two out of the thousands we have encountered. Most people are very friendly.

That would not go over well with me if someone said that and I assure that would be his last comment before I let him have it politely of course..

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

Wait a second, let me get this straight.........

According to your signature, your most recent completed cruise was on ROYAL CARIBBEAN's Jewel OTS, if I read it correctly. Hang on a minute - I need to go look at my ROYAL CARIBBEAN brochure and also take a look at their website. OK, I'm back. Well, thumbing through the brochure, I see all sorts of photos of FAMILIES, CHILDREN, the ADVENTURE OCEAN program, the DREAMWORKS EXPERIENCE, the VIDEO ARCADE, H2O ZONE, etc. And guess what? The photos all have children and families in them with a multitude of references to such in the literature. My guess is that ROYAL CARIBBEAN might just be a FAMILY-FRIENDLY cruise line. :eek:

I know exactly what you're saying - it amazes me how people set themselves up for disappointment by their poor choices. If you don't want children onboard your cruise, book a 100 day world cruise or book a cruise line that doesn't advertise themselves as being family friendly.

Now, I will be nice to everyone and won't say what I would have replied to them. It would not have been nice and I would not have been polite. I'm not an advocate of "political correctness" whatsoever, and would have no problem telling them EXACTLY what I thought of their attitude - they can be upset, offended, cry, or whatever - doesn't make a bot of difference to me. Being "nice" to the bullies will not rectify the issue. Bullies prey on the weakness of others, not on the ones who will stand up to them.

For all of you wanting to bring the children, regardless of age, BRING EM ON!

Thanks again!

The WHOLE H2O zone will not be available to you, but the BABY SPLASH ZONE which is a small area that has it's own filtration system will be available to you. It is a small separate pool area that has an inch or two of water in it that has a separate filtration system from the rest of the H2O zone that makes it acceptable for the non-potty trained kiddies.

Edited to add that potty trained kiddies are not allowed in that small baby zone

Edited by sailinglisa

After reading everyone's responses and Chrystal's baby cruise review (and I will be reading the others soon), we pulled the trigger and booked the Allure last night. We are excited and thanks again for everyone's input.

We cruised with our 8month old in 2012 on the allure. We kept him with us the whole time. My best advice is when it comes to dinner. On days in port, if you are out doing excursions all day don't expect them to sit through a main dining room style dinner. This stressed me out and my son wasn't happy! He actually spit up all over my husband and i on formal night (probably because he drank too much salt water at the beach in Nassau) Instead. After a nap go enjoy the pool when everyone else is leaving to get ready for dinner and one of you go grab burgers and bring back to the pool area! I had been on 7 cruises and realized after how much different it is with children! Enjoyed having him there and wouldn't have it any other way but less focus needed to be on dining times and specialty dining and more on just family fun! We are hoping to go this summer with our now 2.5 year old and our 1 year old (will be 15/16 months).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by obsessedsc

After reading everyone's responses and Chrystal's baby cruise review (and I will be reading the others soon), we pulled the trigger and booked the Allure last night. We are excited and thanks again for everyone's input.

Awesome, great choice for a 7 night cruise! Once I realized how much fun cruising was with Isaac, I got a little sad when I realized our cruise was only 4 nights. Looking forward to our longer cruise next year. Have a fantastic cruise :)

We took our (then) 17 month old on the Allure of the Seas. Absolutely wonderful.

Please feel free to read my review (link in my signature). I expand on all the great things offered for small children.