Dress European? What's Appropraiate Dress?

GLOCKer

I was not trying to be rude, maybe my bad English skills made it look like that.

My point is that no one will come up to you on the street and give remarks and style points for your clothing.

So if I was the OP I would stop worrying about the close and wear what he/she feels comfortable.

If its white trainers then its white trainers and long shorts and knickers are okay to walk in on the streets on hot days.

I certainly didn't take offense. And I am not overly concerned about what people think of my clothing, although I do take some pride in my appearance and want to leave a favorable impression with any person I should meet. My main concerns with clothing center around security for my wife and myself.

And after reading a bunch of the helpful replies around here, I think the clothing thing will not be an issue as I tend to typically dress rather subdued. I'll probably avoid wearing any logoed shirts and bright colored athletic shoes while off the ship.

Thanks again all for the good conversation.

Edited by GLOCKer

Most European men (at least those over 35 or 40 years of age) do not wear shorts unless they're at the beach. It's considered to be in poor taste.

Not true, unless it is to a business meeting !

Your camera and stopping for photos will probably give you away as a tourist more than anything you might be wearing.

I doubt that would reveal anything, I see just as many locals carrying cameras and camera bags as visitors. The places tours go are also places where local "visitors" go. More locals go to the museums and palaces than tourists, it is just that more go off season than during the summer. Visitors from other cities in the same country are tourists also, even thought they just came for an in-country vacation. Everyone has a camera. A lot of young people, in particular, carry around pretty good DSLRs and lenses everywhere they go, besides the ubiquitous point and shoot or cellphone camera that is on everyone's pocket. I know I almost always have one of my camera bags with me when walking around the historic areas.

Very true. And locals get robbed as well. Although I am comfortable in my big city, I still keep my stuff close to me, my purse closed, and don't wander into areas that are known for being unsafe. That's just being sensible. Thieves don't care what you wear. Well...they probably would prefer it if you wore clothes that made it easy to access your valuables. :)

You are a tourist. You'll stick out no matter what. Follow/observe some simple cultural rules and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just to help anyone going to Singapore these are important things to know:

You cannot import gum or buy it there.

You must cover your mouth when you pick your teeth at the table.

It is a $1000 fine if you don't flush the toilet.

I'm sure there are other things but I liked these the best.

Judee

We have done land vacations as well as cruises to different regions in Europe. As many have pointed out, you will never blend in. I agree with others who advise travelers to concentrate on practicing basic safety measures to lessen your chances of becoming a target. Securing valuables, knowing your surroundings, etc.

Please note, the major port cities you will be visiting during a cruise are jammed with tourists. They probably outnumber the "locals" in some locations. Unless you are venturing off the beaten track, you will most likely be rubbing elbows with other tourists on a day to day basis. Why not wear white tennis shoes, lol? (Actually they are neon colored this season, white is hard to find in a store!) Dressing respectfully should be a given. Dress smartly for the weather, comfort and ease of packing. Concentrate on safety, not wardrobe adjustments and have a great time!

For those who discuss not safety but fashion, here is good collection of threads about how to dress in European ports:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182&order=desc

OMG, been there, read it and decided to stick to what we usually do and pack the day before we leave taking the minimum of sensible clothing for what we plan to do! :D

You know, it's YOUR cruise, YOUR vacation, you should wear what YOU feel comfortable in. Why worry about what others are wearing? You ARE the tourist, so why try and look otherwise. As soon as you open your mouth, they will know anyway.

Overall, we found that shorts are not as big in Europe as they are in the US. That suited us just fine as I look terrible in shorts. :D:D Jeans are worn everywhere.

Dress comfortably and that's it.

Cheers

Len

I completely agree. Spoken like a true Western New Yorker! I don't wear shorts and sneakers, wear dark colors and try to fit in to keep the pickpockets away.

Marion

• 2 weeks later...

Don't wear shorts. They are frowned upon in most public places and completely disallowed in any cathedral and many museums. Jeans are acceptable but dark leggings/slacks are generally worn. What everyone else has said is about right in avoiding ball caps and t-shirts.

Don't wear shorts. They are frowned upon in most public places and completely disallowed in any cathedral and many museums. Jeans are acceptable but dark leggings/slacks are generally worn. What everyone else has said is about right in avoiding ball caps and t-shirts.

Honestly there isn't much (if any at all) right about this post which we already have concluded in this thread.

No offence but your post is an extreme exaggeration.

On contrary to your belief, people in Northern Europe does not walk around all days in an Armani tuxedos.

You will see allot of people wearing a t-shirt/shorts combo if the weather is warm enough to warrant it.

Slightly colder weather means jeans instead of shorts.

I can assure you that jeans and t-shirts are the absolute most common way to dress in the summer, possible in combination with a light jacket if the weather requires it.

Also nobody would care if you walked around in shorts/jeans t-shirts and baseball cap.

You should dress according to the weather and your own preferences not in a way that you think might be wrong.

Here is a view from one of Stockholm's most popular shopping streets, Drottninggatan. Tell me in what way the people in this view have dressed?

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.334241,18.061055,3a,75y,126.33h,69.8t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s1TM6YQ_N7RaB3pkBmWvYcA!2e0!3e5?hl=sv

I can see allot of jeans, shorts, t-shirts, Sleeveless shirts, because that is how people dress.

Also please specify what museums that would dis-allow you from enter because you are wearing shorts and t-shirt?

Edited by Desdichado62

Here is a view from one of Stockholm's most popular shopping streets, Drottninggatan. Tell me in what way the people in this view have dressed?

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.334241,18.061055,3a,75y,126.33h,69.8t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s1TM6YQ_N7RaB3pkBmWvYcA!2e0!3e5?hl=sv

I can see allot of jeans, shorts, t-shirts, Sleeveless shirts, because that is how people dress.

Excellent picture you posted Desdichado62! Hope everyone who is worried about what to wear in the Scandinavian cities during summer does take a look. This is excactly how the streets here look in the middle of summer when the weather is fine.

If you really want to stand out as a very strange person, wear something dressy, elegant and dark.

We spent 6 weeks in Europe for our honeymoon and it was one of the hottest summers on record. No way we would have been walking around there in tight black jeans. We did have to wear pants or a skirt when we went to see the Vatican and other churches. Of course we did because it was the respectful thing to do and we wouldn't have been allowed in otherwise.

So, do Europeans dress differently when they come to North America? Do they wear ball caps and baggy jeans and tee shirts that say "howdy! my name is Bubba" or what? Serious question. Do Europeans dress differently when they visit other continents so that they don't stand out as tourists?

Edited by AmberCascades
forgot some wordage

I hope someone is telling our current Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, to leave his Speedos at home when he is heading to Europe. Some of the photos of him swimming and also in his cycling gear are not for the faint hearted!

Also remember that a lot of places in northern Europe don't have air conditioning, because it's not hot enough most of the year to need it. Many people in our office wear shorts to work when it's warm, so our offices here have an exemption from our corporate dress code policy.

Ladies dress nice and wear heels or practical walking shoes .

I will gladly allow you to wear the heels and dress if you like. The cobblestones and uneven pavement provide the perfect venue for flats, tennis shoes or walking shoes, and pants will do just fine. thanks anyway;)