Puzzled with owners suite versus haven??

bermuda lover

Dear fellow cruisers I am at day 77 of my cruise to bermuda on the Dawn. I had booked the SA (owner's suite) because I had my 2 sons traveling with us. Well, they are no longer sailing due to unexpected job/school obligations.

I called my travel agent to keep the same date, but change to a smaller suite. I was told by the agent (who called NCL) that the owner's suite is considered to be a haven suite; in which they have a different policy. What was told to me that I would only get a $1000 refund and I could change rooms within 55 days with no extra charge. I argued with him, but this didn't change things.

So long story short, they are saying that it will cost me $6,000 for 2 of us to go to a penthouse aft room.

Has anyone heard of this!! I am crazy!

Thanks for your insight

Lisa:o

Haven suites (and suites considered "Haven Suites", which include Owner's Suites, deluxe Owner's Suites, Haven Penthouses, Haven Family Villas, and Garden Villas) have a longer cancellation deadlines than other cabins and lower level suites, which effect cabin changes as they are essentially a cancellation and rebooking. If you look on the bottom of your original confirmation, the policies are written out.

NCL's cancellation policies are written here as well: http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Thank you for your replies… I think I have to cancel the trip. I really wanted to go, but on the long run, I can not justify paying $6K for a aft suite for 2 people.

Lisa

I wouldn't pay that price for an AFT suite on the Dawn. Plus the Dawn doesn't have a Haven area. I'm paying that price on the Breakaway for an AFT Penthouse for 2 and it's a Haven suite. Maybe switch to a different ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would think it is more common that TWO people sail in that suite than 4. After all, there is only one REAL bed in that suite.

If you were to price that suite for 2 people, and then price it for 4 people, the price difference is usually just the port charges and some other fees. You can test this easily by going online and doing a booking without going to the end.

Again, two people in these suites is the norm.

And, the cancel policy is the norm - for high end suites that is.

Personally, before I gave up $1000 I would still go. You will get back the port fees from passenger #3 and #4. And, you will no longer have to pay the daily service charge for passenger #3 and #4.

What would it cost to stay where you are?

Why move?

I assume your son's are adults, so if they have opted not to travel, then perhaps they can pay for their cancellation costs, which should mean it does not cost you any more.

I guess I don't understand, if it's going to cost you more money to move, why don't you stay where you are and not pay anymore? DOS on that cruise are currently selling for about $5000 for a couple.

Edited by rvsullivan

Yeah, I'm kind of confused too. No matter if you switch suites or cancel altogether, you will be paying the same cancellation fees for the cancelled OS.. Why not just stay in the OS and just eat the cancellation fees for the sons (since that's all the "extra" you will lose)??

The 120 days cancellation policy for high level suites has been in place for some time, isn't it listed on your original booking confirmation? Or is there something I'm not getting here?

Robin

I would think it is more common that TWO people sail in that suite than 4. After all, there is only one REAL bed in that suite.

If you were to price that suite for 2 people, and then price it for 4 people, the price difference is usually just the port charges and some other fees. You can test this easily by going online and doing a booking without going to the end.

Again, two people in these suites is the norm.

And, the cancel policy is the norm - for high end suites that is.

Personally, before I gave up $1000 I would still go. You will get back the port fees from passenger #3 and #4. And, you will no longer have to pay the daily service charge for passenger #3 and #4.

Yes, you are correct… we are sticking with the cruise and we can't down grade.. We are removing the two other passengers (minus taxes and fees). I have never had that room before and I would hate to miss the opportunity.

thank you

Lisa

Yeah, I'm kind of confused too. No matter if you switch suites or cancel altogether, you will be paying the same cancellation fees for the cancelled OS.. Why not just stay in the OS and just eat the cancellation fees for the sons (since that's all the "extra" you will lose)??

The 120 days cancellation policy for high level suites has been in place for some time, isn't it listed on your original booking confirmation? Or is there something I'm not getting here?

Robin

No, I just didn't see that the SA category was considered a "Haven" on the dawn.. Apparently, I didn't read… we are staying

Lisa

What would it cost to stay where you are?

Why move?

I assume your son's are adults, so if they have opted not to travel, then perhaps they can pay for their cancellation costs, which should mean it does not cost you any more.

My travel agent through BJs travel confused me so much last night, I called this morning and asked for another agent. After speaking with her, I understood…

I can't wait to be in the owner's suite!

Lisa

My travel agent through BJs travel confused me so much last night, I called this morning and asked for another agent. After speaking with her, I understood…

I can't wait to be in the owner's suite!

Lisa

I thought this sounded more like a TA "issue" more so than NCL, just wanted clarification. Glad it's working out for you. You'll love the OS.

Not sure I would call it part of the "Haven Category", but it is more of a "high end" suites, like the Haven. But - that is done and over with anyways.

So glad you are sticking with it. It should be a great cruise. Each morning when you and your hubby are having breakfast at Cagneys, or in your suite, just smile and enjoy.

(we are doing the Dawn, 2BR in just over a month - Cagneys is one of the best parts of the whole suite thing)

Edited by garycarla