Tipping Cabin Steward on the First Day?

calex

Is this reference to "where they came from" intending to justify guest's behavior towards others who come from another culture? Should the crew also be grateful that they are safe from beatings?

They should be thankful they are working - just as anyone should. I see nothing wrong with the OP comments. The OP was right - they have free room and board and meals (which IS part of their salary) and are most definitely earning way more than they would in their home country. Not sure what the problem is stating the obvious!!

I chuckled about your username and post history, you must have some issues..

You truly appear to feel superior towards others and aren't ashamed of stating it, your attitude makes me sad. I thought such things were in the past..

I agree with the OP regarding the salaries of the stewards, and I definitely do not think I am superior to anyone!

A number of years ago we were on a 14 night R/T Hawaii

on Celebrity. (Pre auto tipping). The 1st evening I gave the

cabin steward a $50 (1/2 the "normal" tip).Received

great service for 2 days. On the 3rd morning there's

a knock on the door & the NEW cabin steward introduces

himself. The old steward was transferred to another

deck with my $50. Lesson learned. LOL

Jack

They should be thankful they are working - just as anyone should. I see nothing wrong with the OP comments. The OP was right - they have free room and board and meals (which IS part of their salary) and are most definitely earning way more than they would in their home country. Not sure what the problem is stating the obvious!!

Free? When something is part of your compensation package, it is something you earned.

And justifying treatment of others based on their county of origin has another name...

I'm not from Oregon, however I do travel with my family. If I see my steward on the first day (which we usually do at some point) I give them part of an extra tip (beyond the DSC) for two reasons: one, I usually ask for them to empty the fridge and perhaps some other small requests and two, I have children travelling with me and I personally know what it is like to have to clean up after all of them. We are not messy per se, but with four people in a room, all the beds need to be made up and turned down and there are bound to be crumbs or some such nonsense on the floor from all of us coming and going. We tip additionally at the end based upon the level of service. I don't expect perfection, but whenever I have asked for something to be done or fixed, our stewards have always managed to get things done in the blink of an eye. Of course, I believe that is the way all the stewards perform their duties regardless of tipping.

We have also waited until the end of the cruise, and not seen any difference in service. Either you get an exceptional steward or not. They always seem to appreciate any extra they receive, no matter when they receive it. Our last room steward was simply ok, not fantastic, but she did everything we asked and it was always done promptly. I was satisfied

Free? When something is part of your compensation package, it is something you earned.

And justifying treatment of others based on their county of origin has another name...

I'm not sure where you read anyone was treating a room steward badly. I don't think the OP said that in their post. Also, I stated, in capital letters, the room, board, and meals were part of their salary.

I'm not sure where you read anyone was treating a room steward badly. I don't think the OP said that in their post. Also, I stated, in capital letters, the room, board, and meals were part of their salary.

No, you said "they have free room and board and meals"

No, you said "they have free room and board and meals"

Elaine, really?? :rolleyes: Here is my quote - "The OP was right - they have free room and board and meals (which IS part of their salary) and are most definitely earning way more than they would in their home country."

Have a nice day, Elaine.

Edited by SissasMomE

Elaine, really?? :rolleyes: Here is my quote - "The OP was right - they have free room and board and meals (which IS part of their salary) and are most definitely earning way more than they would in their home country."

Have a nice day, Elaine.

You are correct :)

Some people struggle to read/believe facts :)

I chuckled about your username and post history, you must have some issues..

You truly appear to feel superior towards others and aren't ashamed of stating it, your attitude makes me sad. I thought such things were in the past..

No issues :)

Just stating facts. Sadly many are blind to facts and will believe anything.

I treat everyone as a human being.

All I do ask for is the best that someone or a company can offer.

I dislike dirty plates, unhygienic surfaces, lazy staff, rude staff etc. I pay a price for the services of others and expect service in return. What is wrong with that?

If you were ill through failings of staff, would you be happy? I bet you wouldn't and would be the first to yell on this forum about how it was someone else's fault.

I also have no time for people who can't be bothered to act in a proper manner themselves - not washing hands or treating staff like dirt.

Staff do have a choice in life as do you or I.

We've been on 2 cruises and tipped on the first day both times. I didn't notice any special service on the first cruise. we had to ask for ice on more than one occasion. We might have been confused by the "do not disturb" light. On the second cruise the steward was asked to empty the fridge and he told us to just put it on the shelf. I consider that tip wasted. By the way how much do you tip on the first day?

If we had a long list of special requirements that we wanted them to carry out for us then I would probably accompany that with some cash, but I've never had any problem getting what is expected without tipping in advance.

For me, the most important thing is that they are friendly, and to be honest, if I have to pay someone for that then I'd rather they just didn't bother at all.

This!!

facebook-like-icon.jpg.5c360df0d3971597395477a8cb0b902d.jpg

You do realize on NCL you do not have to ask for your ice to be filled twice a day? They do that for everyone.

Phew, I thought I was going mad there for a moment!! ;)

We don't tip upfront but have always had the ice bucket re-filled twice a day...AND always had great service ( which has been rewarded )

TIPS is an acronym for "To Insure Prompt Service"

No it doesn't. The word you are looking for is ensure (guarantee), not insure (protect for contingencies). Vastly different meaning. And we don't hand out TEPS. I call it grease money:D