Tipping Cabin Steward on the First Day?

calex

Does anyone tip their cabin steward on the first day of the cruise?

I tried it a few cruises back and I was amazed how extra attentive my steward was for the rest of the cruise.

Edited by calex

Does anyone else tip their cabin steward on the first day of the cruise?

I tried it a few cruises back and I was amazed how extra attentive my steward was for the rest of the cruise.

Yep. Must be an Oregon thing :)

I always tip them on the first day. I want better treatment and if I am going to tip. Always tip first and let them know there will be more tipping if things work out

Edited by jakeT

No

I already pay the DSC, they are essentially getting their tip already before they do anything.

I extra tip for service over and above at the end of my cruise if it warrants.

So far all of my cabin stewards have worked very hard, were very attentive without bribing them on the first day. So I showed each one my appreciation on the last day of my cruise.

I often wonder when this question comes up, do people, when on land, tip their waitress, hairdresser, dog groomer, taxi driver etc before service?

I assume you tipped so you could ensure your cabin attendant would take extra good care of you. This is by all means acceptable but not necessary. So in addition to what the cruiseline charges per day, you go above that limit, and you do it on day one. Am I correct in my assumption?

We have but only if I'm asking him to go above board for us. In a small cabin, having the beds separated makes a world of difference in space. So, yes, I will tip him and ask him to please change it up if we find them together.

I can only imagine what their check in-check out morning is like....changing every bed and thoroughly cleaning every cabin...yikes.

Otherwise, no, I do not tip up front. The tip at the end of the cruise then depends on the weeks service, which usually is pretty darn good!!! A $20 may be in order because really, the daily service charge should suffice!

So if you tried it 'a few cruises ago' what stopped you?

This is a complete myth as nobody could prove it worked anyway.

Your steward receives their tip via the DSC which is either added to your account or prepaid.

I always tip on the first day with a note containing multiple requests -- asking for the refrigerator to be emptied and all contents removed from the room, extra coffee to be left (and the tea and decaffeinated to be removed), ashtrays for balcony, and, if possible, whether he could scare me up a pitcher or two so that I could bring back orange and cranberry juice from the buffet. No one has ever said no to my requests and I think leaving a tip at that time of the request demonstrates that if I am going to ask for extra service I'm willing to pay for it...

Terry

Like the OP, I do tip extra as soon as I meet my cabin steward. It's a small token that doesn't cost me much, but means a lot to the crew (not the best paying jobs, and many send much of their earnings home to their families). In every case, I have received better service than others, as confirmed through conversations with fellow cruisers ("Really? My cabin steward didn't do that for me.").

I'm not saying that they do not give excellent service to everyone. But I do enjoy the genuine smile it brings to their faces (they only get a small cut of the DSC as it is shared with many), and the very personal and outstanding service I've received in return. It's a win-win to me.

That's my $0.02.

Like the OP, I do tip extra as soon as I meet my cabin steward. It's a small token that doesn't cost me much, but means a lot to the crew (not the best paying jobs, and many send much of their earnings home to their families). In every case, I have received better service than others, as confirmed through conversations with fellow cruisers ("Really? My cabin steward didn't do that for me.").

I'm not saying that they do not give excellent service to everyone. But I do enjoy the genuine smile it brings to their faces (they only get a small cut of the DSC as it is shared with many), and the very personal and outstanding service I've received in return. It's a win-win to me.

That's my $0.02.

Your post mirrors what I have experienced during the last three cruises where I left a $20 bill in the steward's hand when we shook at the begining of the cruise. It was nice to find a plate of unordered chocolate strawberries one day, or the cruise where we had 2 or 3 towels animals on our bed at night. Other guests never mention being served above and beyond.

Not sure if it is an 'Oregonian' thing, or having family members that work in the hospitality industry mention that the unexpected tip made them feel more appreciated... either case, I'll keep up the practice in the future.

TIPS is an acronym for "To Insure Prompt Service" So it never hurts to do it ahead of time. I often will tip the steward or butler ahead of time, even if it doesn't change the service, they always great us a big smile.

We always tip something on the first night or first full day. We ask for our ice to be filled twice a day and I know that means extra work for them. We also don't get out of our cabin until 8:00 PM (do not disturb sign until then) so they usually save us for last instead of just skipping over us. They are always appreciative.

I assume you tipped so you could ensure your cabin attendant would take extra good care of you. This is by all means acceptable but not necessary. So in addition to what the cruiseline charges per day, you go above that limit, and you do it on day one. Am I correct in my assumption?

Correct!

Always seem to get more "considerations" by tipping on the first day.

So if you tried it 'a few cruises ago' what stopped you?

This is a complete myth as nobody could prove it worked anyway.

Your steward receives their tip via the DSC which is either added to your account or prepaid.

The DSC isn't a tip. It is their pay. A tip is money after the DSC is paid.